The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2007, 08:31 PM   #1
jdm357

New reloader, need advice

I was looking at reloading. Anyone know if a Lee "starter set" or whatnot is worth the money?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=820810

My grandpa used to reload, and he said Lee was the only brand to use. He's opinionated, yes, but I'd like to stick with Lee. However, I know from the past that "package" purchases are not always the best. What do you all think of the package I have linked to? Like I said, my grandpa knows a great deal, but I wanted some other opinions.. as in, if this a good beginner's set, or would I do well building my set piece by piece? The reviews on midway seem pretty good.
Old June 22, 2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Your grandpa is RIGHT, IMO...

It's very inexpensive and will come with most of what you NEED to get started minus dies, of course. If, by some reason, you find that it's not your cup of tea, you're not out several hundred dollars...

It's a great beginner kit to get your feet wet. Don't forget to get the ABC's of Reloading book. It's chocked full of useful information.

I just stepped up to RCBS's stuff after many hard use years on my Lee stuff. Never had a problem with the exception of the powder measure. I bought one that was a little nicer a couple of years down the road...

Midway's customer feedback is objective. They will post both good and bad without editing to suit their needs to save face.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 22, 2007, 09:13 PM   #3
epr105

Lee is a good starter kit as long as the volume is low. If you need to move up after time you can still use the lee for special projects. It is a good deal.
Old June 22, 2007, 09:26 PM   #4
jdm357

Thanks for the replies. That's what I wanted anyway, something to get my feet wet. I like quiet, productive activities, where I can get my hands dirty and be able to see the finished product.

I think that kit is going to be my next purchase, after I read a little more on reloading.