The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 21, 2007, 08:02 PM   #1
scouter27

installing front sight myself??

let me start off saying that i have almost no gunsmithing experience. i do have enough experience with using shop equipment, so the doing it isnt the problem. its doing it right. i think i have made up my mind (if youve seen my other thread in the rifle forum) and should be getting a new ruger soon. how would i go about doing this? or should i just get a gunsmith to do it?

thanks
Old June 21, 2007, 08:08 PM   #2
W.E.G.

Depends on what Ruger you get.

Are you getting one that has the pushbutton-switcharoo-thingy on the sight?

Some of the Rugers have a front sight installed via a roll-pin.

If the sight is integral with the barrel, you definitely don't want to go hacking on it with a dremel and a hand-drill. Shipping to well-known gunsmiths who will do it right will kill you with the fees. Local gunsmiths, who may or may not have a clue should be approached with caution. Once its buggered, its buggered.
Old June 21, 2007, 08:49 PM   #3
scouter27

there is no sight, thats the problem. there is nothing on there now. there is only one model 77 in the curent lineup with irons that also meets my other specifications, the international, per the website. ive read too many things regarding accuracy with that one, or it would be the one
Old June 23, 2007, 08:21 AM   #4
scouter27

cant anyone help?
Old June 23, 2007, 07:42 PM   #5
Harry Bonar

sights

Sir:
Measure your muzzle about an inch back, go to brownells catalogue and order a front sight on a ramp! For the rear do the same and drill and tap for a Williams base and select a rear blade.
Harry B.
Old June 23, 2007, 07:47 PM   #6
scouter27

thanks. how do in ensure the front sight is on straight? the rear will mount directly to the ruger base on the reciever. i plan on using the xs sights ghost ring, and will need a front sight to match. i will ask them about which will work. im thinking about tritium, but i am undecided about that