The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 19, 2007, 08:13 PM   #1
Magnum.35744

Arminius HW .357 Magnum???

Hello everyone,

Been a while since I have made a thread up but now I know what to base mine on now . One of my good friends Dad owns an old .357 Magnum revolver...Upon inspection (Since he had no clue what it was after having it for like 15 years) I found out that it is an Arminius HW357 .357 Magnum revolver. His gun has a 6" Inch barrel, Blue finish, and Custom Wood Grips. It looks as if it was in new condition and I immediately fell in love with it. The lock work was great and everything about it had the new feeling to it...he had its original box and papers. My question is...I see there is one for sale (In the same condition in his only this one shows some wear) But would it be a good purchase. I could see using this with my Grandpa for a woods gun or just plinker...Something cheap to carry in the woods with no need to get worked up about it if extreme wear is done. Here's the link to the specific firearm.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=74272257

And also...My friends Dad didn’t have any bullets for the gun so my Grandpa and I decided to buy some...Come to find out they didn’t fit. They were regular .357 Magnum 115 Grain Wadcutter Bullets. My friend said the bullets stuck out of the barrel and the cylinder wouldn’t close. Any reason why and what loads would you suggest to use in an old gun? Thanks for any help regarding this subject...And I know you may think this is a poor looking firearm but please bear with me .

-Tre
Old June 20, 2007, 01:36 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I've never heard of 115gr wadcutter ammunition in .357Magnum caliber.

Can you post EXACTLY what is printed on the box of ammunition?

I believe that there were some of these revolvers made in .38Special. Could he have been mistaken about the caliber of the revolver?
Old June 20, 2007, 10:10 AM   #3
DPris

The Arminius lineup was relatively inexpensive & never imported in huge numbers. Tha action may or may not hold up to much shooting. Parts would most likely be a problem if anything broke. I've never heard of 115-grain .357 Mag wadcutters, either. No regular factory .357 load should have a problem fitting the cylinder.
Denis
Old June 20, 2007, 11:21 AM   #4
Rimrod

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Magnum, if you look closely at the GB auction the gun was started at $250 and there are no bids on it with only two days left. I'm not a collector or an expert by any definition of the words but I wouldn't buy it unless they came down at least $245. They weren't much of a gun brand new in the box, which is probably why they were never imported in huge numbers.
Old June 20, 2007, 03:37 PM   #5
Magnum.35744

Sorry my bad...

The .357 Magnum bullets were reloads and I belive they were something around 120 Grains....And Im not getting confused between this and the .38 Special Model ...Thanks for the help guys!
Old June 20, 2007, 08:29 PM   #6
DPris

Ammo still doesn't make sense, unless somebody's loading the bullets waaaaay out in the case. Your standard load for the .357 Mag is pretty much a 158-grainer, anything lighter (such as a factory 110 bullet) would not stick out the end of the chamber, which is what I assume you meant when you said the bullets "stuck out of the barrel and the cylinder wouldn't close". Even heavier bullet weights up to 180 & 200 grains can be loaded deep enough in the case to not stop the cylinder from closing.
Not trying to talk you out of the gun, by the way. If you like it, go for it. Just know what you're getting into, and find the right ammo for it.
Denis
Old June 20, 2007, 09:46 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The .357 Magnum bullets were reloads...
Ok, that's probably all you need to say.

Try some factory ammunition and check back. Do NOT attempt to modify that ammunition to shoot it. It's possible you've got some .357Maximum reloads there. At the very least it sounds like they're BADLY out of spec.