The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2007, 08:12 PM   #1
CrustyFN

Interesting

I don't know if many of you have seen this http://twoalphabullets.com/Photo_Page.htm but I found it interesting.
Rusty
Old June 19, 2007, 08:27 PM   #2
BillCA

Yup. Good information and a heads-up for those who reload.
Old June 19, 2007, 10:29 PM   #3
firechicken

You can't be too careful when reloading. That's one of the reasons I haven't went to a progressive yet (I am thinking about a turret though ). With my single stage routine, each case gets several inspections, primers are seated by a hand priming tool and each primer checked for depth by feel, and the charged cases get a once-over in the loading block to make sure they have about the same amount of powder.

Take a look at the seperated rifle cases: http://twoalphabullets.com/Failure_5.htm I don't think I've ever seen a rifle case that the neck split on the second firing......maybe he lost count?
Old June 20, 2007, 04:04 AM   #4
missoulaz28

i had a 223 round for black hills seperate almost identical to that. only one in the box of 50 that did anyhthing strange. extracted from my stevens like normal, then broke when it hit the table

was the blue box 68gr match stuff
Old June 20, 2007, 08:53 AM   #5
Rimrod

The picture of the .380 case belled at the mouth looks more like it was fired in the wrong gun. Such as maybe the Makarov it was fired in was actually chambered for 9X18. If it had belled like that in the barrel it would have had to blow the barrel up.

I've seen that with .40 S&W cases fired in a .45 and with .32 ACP rounds fired in a .380.
Old June 20, 2007, 09:39 AM   #6
k8do

The buck stops at the loose nut on the handle

You cannot use a single stage when you fire 100+ rounds a day, 7 days a week... And 200-300 extra rounds during matches...
My Dillon progressive works just fine.. I can feel if a primer did not seat properly...
Double charges would need for me to do something really stupid, like manually remove the charged case and put it back in the carousel under the charge dispenser for a second charge and to not notice that the case is running over with powder when I set the bullet... When I set the bullet in the case mouth I can see the powder level in the case the same as if it were single stage so no charge is not easily missed either...

Bad loads are the person doing it, not the machine...

denny
Old June 24, 2007, 02:25 PM   #7
dutchy

Firechicken,

I fully agree.
Split necks occur after multiple reloadings.
Same goes for the base separation in the same picture.
And I have serious doubts about the cases being both the same caliber.

Watch it guys, not everything written is true, not even in the internet.

The .380 also looks fishy to me, looks like it was fire in a wrong chamber.
Old June 24, 2007, 05:28 PM   #8
snuffy

That damn fool is so FOS, he'd better be close to a B-room! Talk about bad info, this is worse than missleading, it could be dangerous! His deductive reasoning is broken!

Who is this jamoke? My family had some pet names for people operating a few bricks short of a load, we called them honyocks!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 25, 2007, 08:02 AM   #9
Usaro4

Snuffy, you called this one right. A picture of a reloading mistake he did in 1972? He saved this example of over crimping a case for 35 years just so he could share it with us now? What a load of BS from a snake oil salesman.