The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 19, 2007, 12:47 PM   #1

SW 638 Now what?

Well, I used to be a little active on these forums back a few years and for the past year I have been shooting skeet and sporting clays. I have now realized that that is way to expensive for a college student. Now that I have started shooting clays a lot less, I have decided to start again with the handguns, because they are MUCH cheaper to shoot.

I went to my first gun show in over a year this past weekend. Come to find out, it was a Gun/Knife show so the selection was somewhat limited. I wanted a 638 and found one but didnt like the price, actually I just didn't take enough out of the bank on the way to the show. Once home, I kept thinking of how that gun felt in my hand and I WANT it. So I call up a fellow shooter with a FFL and he emails me his license. Able Ammo was out, so was NewGunsNetwork. Impact had it but wanted too much, so I found Budsgunshop.com. I spoke with Derrick, who was by far the nicest person that I have ever dealt with over the phone. He even stayed on the line long enough to recieve the email from me with the FFL. With insurance and shipping, my total was $400 and some change. I am pleased. Also, they sent me an wmail stating that my order was recieved, another for my order being in the shipping process, and another when it was finally shipped. This attention to detail is exceptional. As long as I receive it within the next couple of days, I will be extremely satisfied.

Now my questions...

I reload shotgun shells but not anything else. Can someone reccomend a load for this gun and also the tools that I need to get started? I have about seven pounds of Clays (you know why) so I want to use this up. I want a progressive press, maybe. Some seasoned reloaders are welcomed to chime in. I want to get my carry permit with this gun, so I will need to shoot it a lot.

Holsters? I was thinking about a Kydex paddle holster for camping, which is every weekend. This will be about 90% of my carrying. Is this a good choice?

I appreciate any and all input and thank you for reading this.

www.ruger-firearms.com
www.smith-wesson.com
Old June 20, 2007, 07:59 AM   #2
dbracin

Order yourself a pocket holster.

http://www.sideguardholsters.com/