The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 18, 2007, 12:46 PM   #1
imabballer

Cheapest .22 revolver?

I am looking for a cheap .22lr revolver for carrying with me when I go fishing. I would love to find one for under $200 that's a DA. I had and sold a heritage single action .22lr/.22mag that I might have to consider buying again if I can't find a DA for a decent price. I want something small that will fit in my pocket. I occassionally run across snakes and have found the cci's .22lr shotshells seem to get the job done, and I also like to take care of the occasional snapping turtle that has swallowed my hook. I really think I would like something along the lines of a charter pathfinder, or taurus m94, but they are both closer to $300 most of the places I've looked. I'm just wondering if there are any other off-brand guns that might be a little cheaper. I guess I'm wondering if there are any Hi-Point type guns (read cheap and semi-reliable) that are .22lr revolvers other than the heritage arms line. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old June 18, 2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

New or used?

The cheapest new would be a Taurus 94. If you don't mind used, you could turn up an old H&R at a gun show or pawn shop, possibly for under $100.
Old June 18, 2007, 01:05 PM   #3
imabballer

I of course would prefer new, but I would take used as well. Also, it's almost guaranteed that I'll need to be able to buy it off the internet and have it shipped to a local dealer. I live right on a state line, and all the cheap handgun dealers are in the other state. There are not very many gun dealers around here on my side of the border, and the few there are want to charge you msrp for a gun to order it in for you, and the used ones sell for the price of new ones you can buy online. One in particular was selling the plain heritage .22lr/.22mag 6.5 in barrell for $220. I had paid $150+tax for the exact same thing by driving two and a half hours to the nearest academy store.
Old June 18, 2007, 04:27 PM   #4
gunzrfunz

budsgunshop.com

Just posted about this on another thread. Try budsgunshop.com . They have them new for $238.49 + $25shipping.
Old June 19, 2007, 12:27 PM   #5
essexcounty

Older H&R's do surface from time to time in good condition. They were a great value at the time and would be well suited for Your intended use. When I was a Kid your first handgun was going to be an H&R or one of them new Ruger automatics....and You caried it in a leather Hunter holster. The pleasure they gave for the price you paid was tremendous. Essex
Old June 19, 2007, 03:18 PM   #6
Tom2

One of the pull pin or swing out H&R guns are solid, reliable, and inexpensive. Many made with short barrels so they are approximately a snubby. Mine is from about 1962 and is pretty accurate. 9 shots but if you are worried about how safe you can put an empty chamber under the hammer. Still 8 beats 6 shots. The pull pins are not the fastest to load or unload, but it is not a "combat" gun anyway. If 9 won't fix it, you need a bigger gun. The DA pull is a bit heavy but SA is nice and it seems to go bang everytime. just inspect the gun for abuse and worn out ratchets on the cylinder. H&R revs seem to wear out the ratchets sometimes. If you can find a top break short barrel cheap, that would be nice but probably more in demand and more $. 150 is about the max for a nice one I expect. NO tears if it falls in the water either like some fancy Smith or target gun.
Old June 19, 2007, 05:34 PM   #7
BlkHawk73

I cannot understand settlng for "semi-reliable" when for a little more $ you can easily have a decent Single Six. These are available everyplace for $250.
Old June 19, 2007, 09:29 PM   #8
nutty ned

Cheapest .22 revolver?

Get a ruger single six in stainless, you will be glad you did.
Old June 20, 2007, 12:31 AM   #9
Bill DeShivs

"I want something small that will fit in my pocket."

A single six won't fit in any of my pockets! Neither will a Bearcat.
H&Rs are a little unrefined, but they are solid, reliable guns.
Old June 21, 2007, 05:22 AM   #10
Gazpacho

North American Arms

Mini Revolver 1 1/8" or 1 5/8" retails at $193 (avg retail $150)
Black Widow fixed sight $258 (avg retail $200)
Mini Master fixed sight $272 (avg retail $ $210)

If you can't fit one of these in your pocket, you just ain't trying
Old June 21, 2007, 07:37 AM   #11
22-rimfire

Pocket 22 revolver, okay... For a gun that you want to be able to hit a snake or other small creature, I believe you need to think in terms of a Smith 317 or Taurus M94. Saw a really niffty Smith Model 34 (2" or 1 7/8" barrel ?) in as new condition at a recent show. Liked it a lot, but they were asking too much for it as far as I'm concerned. I assume that you envision pocket carry.

I've heard the mini-revolvers are tough to hit anything with and the derringers are pretty much the same thing. They are not intended for small targets.

If you like the Heritage single actions, go with that unless they are too large. If you dunk it a few times, maybe you won't feel so bad if it really is a cheap revolver.

I know that the Smith costs a lot more than the Taurus, but after the dust settles and your budget recovers, you will be glad you have the Smith for the long haul. I'm thinking about getting one of them myself, but have not decided on the barrel length; probably the shortie and I'll probably CCW it from time to time as well.
Old June 21, 2007, 08:22 AM   #12
deadin

Quote:
I've heard the mini-revolvers are tough to hit anything with and the derringers are pretty much the same thing. They are not intended for small targets.
I've always called these "contact guns". You just put them up against what you want to hit and pull the trigger. (They're quite accurate under these conditions.)
Old June 21, 2007, 09:57 AM   #13
gfen

I have a Taurus M94 with a 2" bbl on it.

Ignore all the naysayers who complain loudly about it, it'll do quite nicely for what you want, and it'll cost you $300 or less to do it (I paid $260, myself).

I've had one for 9 months or so now, and shot it quite heavily in the first two months of ownership. It was completely reliable.
Old June 21, 2007, 10:27 AM   #14
FM12

Charter Arms Pathfinder.
Old June 21, 2007, 10:39 AM   #15
Harris304

Iver Johnson Sealed 8 .22

I recently bought a Iver Johnson Sealed 8 Revolver. This gun has a pull out cyl but I load and unload by using an allen wrench for an extractor. I never have to pull the cyl to unload.

Once you develope the feel for unloading this way it gets pretty fast. I think this model was original sold with an extractor, which I think must have been simulair to an allen.

I paid $85.00 for this gun. It's in 98% condition with no evidence that it was ever fired. Put about 50 rounds thru it with no failures. Although this gun is being advertised on Guns America for $172 and $179, you should be able to find a used H&R or Ivor Johnson for $100.00 - $125.00 if you look around.

I bought a J C Higgins Model 88 (basically a high standard sentinel) for $125.00. It's in 90% condition and is a great plinking gun which gets action every time I go to the range. It's a 9 shot.
Old June 21, 2007, 10:38 PM   #16
RJay

Well, if you really want cheap then you might be able to find a RG-10 (Rohm) for 30-40 dollars. Just don't shoot it very much, in fact it would be best not to shoot it at all except for 6 rounds to make sure it works.