The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 31, 2007, 09:38 PM   #1
applesanity

I took apart my Ruger MkIII and I can't put it back together

Let me start off by saying, I'm ashamed.

It's fairly new, I suppose. It was the first time. It needed a cleaning. I mean, I've done it with a friend's MKII and it wasn't so bad. But with mine, it's been difficult.

the barrel won't line up with the grip all the way, so I can't stick in that rod through that hole in the back. It also really hurt to pull back that little lever that starts the whole dissassembly process. With my friend's weapon, I could use my fingers, but with mine, I had to get myself a paperclip.

Also when I took the bolt out, I notice that firing pin stop rod wasn't there. I don't think it fell out. I think it wasn't there in the first place.

Oh, and there's this little black rod hanging out from under the hammer. I think it's called the "hammer strut" I have no idea what it's supposed to be doing; because it's just dangling off the back the hammer like a pendulum.

Wow. Feel free to laugh.
Old May 31, 2007, 11:02 PM   #2
mnlitig8r

I'll be watching this thread very carefully since I just purchased a new Mark III 5-1/2" bull barrel yesterday.

Before deciding to make this purchase I did read some concerns about how difficult this gun is to take down, but none made it sound absolutely impossible. The store clerk managed to do it rather easily when I asked about it, but then he does it day in and day out.

Forgive me for saying so but I'm hoping to learn from your mistakes, so please post any updates.

Good luck!
Old May 31, 2007, 11:18 PM   #3
chris in va

See if this helps. There's also a video floating around out there, just have to hunt for it.

http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip.htm
Old May 31, 2007, 11:33 PM   #4
applesanity

well see now i found two problems

the first is that being that it's fairly new, it still needs time to wear in. which is why the parts don' line up when i put them back, at least not without a mallet or something.

and here's the other problem.

I can't get the hammer strut to get above the cross pin because I can't lift the hammer high enough. something is preventing the hammer from going up all the way.

(edit) So I've really disassembled it. Took the pins out. It turns out the saer was holding back the hammer. One problem solved. The parts still fit too tightly to make assembling easy, though.

Last edited by applesanity; June 1, 2007 at 12:59 AM.
Old June 1, 2007, 05:00 AM   #5
PzGren

I had the same with a MkII. It did not fit back together, not by using a mallet, or leaning hard on it, either. When I took my other MKII, it went together really easily.
Upon close inspection, I found a wicked looking burr on front of the upper where it should fit into the lower. I took a jeweller's file and worked it over. Now it is working as it should have when leaving the factory.
Old June 1, 2007, 05:27 AM   #6
rantingredneck

If you're firing pin stop is not there then make sure you DON'T fire or dryfire it. From what I've heard that not being there will severely damage the gun.
Old June 1, 2007, 05:57 AM   #7
blume357

I had the same problem the first time out, also the 2nd time

it took me close to 30 minutes to get that final part to line up just right so the lever on the grip will go back. You have to keep working at it and keep in mind there is a way the magazine has to go in and out to get it just right. But believe it or not it will fall in place. I'm told the third time is the charm, but I haven't gotten up the nerve quite yet.... been putting it off for close to 6 months now.... maybe this weekend.
Old June 1, 2007, 09:36 AM   #8
Fremmer

Quote:
I'm ashamed.
You shouldn't be ashamed, Apple. It is not your fault that Ruger makes a gun that is so darn hard to put back together. I've seen countless threads like this from new Ruger owners. Enough threads that I'll never purchase a Ruger .22 Semi. Who needs a headache just from trying to re-assemble a gun?

Last edited by Fremmer; June 1, 2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: speling
Old June 1, 2007, 10:45 AM   #9
clem

As with any firearm, they are puzzles.

If you can't do puzzles, don't take them apart.
Old June 1, 2007, 11:19 AM   #10
mikikanazawa

The MkIII is a pain in the butt to strip and reassemble. I actually spent an entire Saturday with mine (when it was new) stripping and reassembling it.

Lining up the hammer strut with the mainspring is the biggest issued when reassembling the gun. The magazine safety doesn't help, because you end up fumbling around with the magazine when you want the hammer in its fired position, and invariably the hammer will drop back down to the cocked position with no mainspring to hold it up. Aaaargh!!

This isn't the right solution for all, but I ended up removing the magazine safety from my gun. I didn't find it to be a worthwhile safety modification and it made reassembly a lot more difficult.
Old June 1, 2007, 12:20 PM   #11
Ozzieman

OK if any one says your dumb

Then they have never taken a Ruger apart. , EVERY one that has taken one apart the first time and didn’t have some problems either had some one to show them or there lying or there brother is Albert Einstein.
Best thing is to have some one there that has experienced the Mark reassembly quirks or never take it apart.
One further note the manual is worthless.
I did not have some one to show me and my brother is NOT Albert, And I also know the embarrassment of taking a gun to a gun store and having some one show me how. After 30 years go by the memmory tends to fade.
Also working in a gun store I have helped MANY put the gun back together again.
Old June 1, 2007, 12:48 PM   #12
PzGren

Ozzieman,

my youngest son had to take the MkII apart and put it back together with just the manual when he was 15 and he could do it - nad he grew up in Indiana, too.

It is really not so hard. The MkIII just has that mag safety to add a few steps.

I think Applesanity has a problem with the fitting of the parts, i.e the parts need to be fitted properly.
Old June 1, 2007, 01:40 PM   #13
kcshooter

Quote:
You shouldn't be ashamed, Apple. It is not your fault that Ruger manufacturers a gun that is so darn hard to put back together. I've seen countless threads like this from new Ruger owners. Enough threads that I'll never purchase a Ruger .22 Semi. Who needs a headache just from trying to re-assemble a gun?

I agree, they really are a headache. And the disassembly/reassembly procedures are what made me decide to look at another brand too. From what I hear, once you get the hang of it they are pretty easy, but I don't need that kind of B.S. from a gun. It's actually the main reason I went for the Beretta Neos.

There is a gun shop in New York City, a guy named Dino something who designed an easy strip kit for them, I'd do a google search for it. Wish I could give you more info but I just don't remember. He was the guy that designed the sniper rifle used in "The Interpreter", if that helps with your web search. From what I remember, the kit is cheap and easier to install than it is to strip the gun in the first place.

Last edited by kcshooter; June 1, 2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old June 1, 2007, 05:01 PM   #14
applesanity

Quote:
I think Applesanity has a problem with the fitting of the parts, i.e the parts need to be fitted properly.
Yeah that's about it.

When I really, really took it apart (pulled out the pins) I found out that if you cock the hammer back too far, the saer engages it and you can't push it forward.

The saer is a real pain in the ____ to put back in.

Oh, and is the firing pin stop not really a pin, but more like a cylinder? There's something holding back the firing pin, but i still see a hole through the other side.

The manual should have told me these things.

But yes, it's the fitting. That thing on the grip that catches onto the barrel, won't slide in properly. I'm just about ready to start filing it down.
Old June 1, 2007, 06:11 PM   #15
PzGren

I had to file that hook a wee bit in order to fit properly. You just have to remove the excess material, go slow, a little at a time and try if it fits before you remove too much and get a sloppy fit.

If the bolt of the housing does not go in right - or moves back out when you swing it up, it is a sign that the upper is not far enough on the lower.
Old June 1, 2007, 06:32 PM   #16
YosemiteSam357

I broke the rear sight on my 22/45 trying to get in back together once, using the "mallet" approach. Use care.

I've had this 22/45 for years, and it's a great gun. Having to swing it this way and that to get the hammer strut in the right position is incredibly hokey, to my mind. The gun could be designed better.

However, when I looked into replacing it with, say, a Buckmark, I found those have their own idiot-sychrocies. Like requiring tools (an allen wrench, anyway) to disassemble it. I'd (almost) prefer the puzzle of the Ruger.

-- Sam
Old June 1, 2007, 07:57 PM   #17
P-990

Sounds like the upper and lower just need a little fitting together. Or are you stuck on the hammer strut problem? If the strut won't clear the pin, sounds like something is back together wrong from detail stripping.

FWIW, I can disassemble, clean and reassemble my 22/45 MK III in roughly 10 minutes. I tore apart a Mk II pin-by-pin one day without instructions and had it back togther within an hour. They're not rocket-science, but you do need to pay attention to where everything lines up. And I hate the magazine safety too, as it really becomes a pain to remember to keep an empty magazine handy for cleaning time.
Old June 1, 2007, 07:59 PM   #18
10mm man

perseverance pays off

I have owned the Mk III for several months now and I cursed the first time I took it apart. Now after taking it apart 5-6 times, I don't have any problem with it. Yea, it seems like a puzzle but if you do it several times, it becomes easy. If you need help, pm me, I will walk you thru it.
Old June 1, 2007, 09:10 PM   #19
Technosavant

Follow the manual EXACTLY.

After a couple years with my 22/45, I still can't get it back together without the manual in front of me, and I still need to give it two or three tries (about every other time I put it back together).
Old June 2, 2007, 01:06 AM   #20
applesanity

I did it! Finally!

The last business involved getting the hammer strut correctly in place inside that recess in the mainspring housing. The first time, the alignment was off and because of that, I couldn't pull the mainspring housing out again.

There was some wiggling and shaking involved to get the mainspring housing out again.

During all of this, I've learned to deal with the inside-insides, and I figured out how that magazine disconnector thing works. Along with that little flimsy spring attached to it.

The question now is, how do I disable that thing?
Old June 2, 2007, 08:10 AM   #21
Te Anau

Quote:
I took apart my Ruger MkIII and I can't put it back together
Thatll teach ya to not buy a Neos.
Old June 2, 2007, 08:13 AM   #22
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I took apart my Ruger MkIII
I'm sorry.

Whoever was responsible for the design changes from the MkII to the MkIII should be horsewhipped out of town.
Old June 2, 2007, 10:07 AM   #23
JWT

I bought a new Ruger Mark III yesterday and stripped it for the first time yesterday afternoon. It was a bit frustrating to reassemble but once I realized I had to follow the directions exactly it went back together.

I've experienced some difficulty reassembling other new handguns but the Ruger was definitely more of a challenge. Still haven't fired it after reassembly but assume it will function as everything seems fine.

My 'guess' is that with a bit more experience it won't be too difficult. The 'turn it down', 'point it up', 'put the magazine in', 'remove the magazine' seems to be critical and isn't something I'm very likely to remember unless I do it frequently.

On the plus side, it shoots great and is a nice looking gun too (I got the stainless target model with the slab sides, grip with the thumb rest, etc.). Purchased it so I had an affordable way to shoot in addition to the 9mm and 38 special I had been shooting regularly.
Old June 2, 2007, 11:28 AM   #24
xjz

Quote:
The first time, the alignment was off and because of that, I couldn't pull the mainspring housing out again.

There was some wiggling and shaking involved to get the mainspring housing out again.
I'm at thius point right now, the mainspring housing is stuck mostly closed and I cant get it open to reassemble correctly. What kind of wiggling and shaking did you do to get it to work?
Old June 2, 2007, 11:47 AM   #25
applesanity

I think it has to do with the hammer strut blocking something or another.

So I pulled the trigger, pointed the gun down and tapped the back of the bolt towards the ground. Then the shaking was something like packing cigarettes. I tapped the front of the gun downwards onto some carpeted floor a few times. All of this to get the hammer to fall as forward as possible, in order to disengage the hammer strut from the mainspring housing.

I think.

The manual says the hammer should naturally fall forward if you point the gun downwards while pulling the trigger. Yeah right. Hopefully all this business won't last forever, as the weapon gets worn in.

Quote:
I'm sorry.
The left-side thumb thing for magazine release is not so bad. The loaded chamber indicator is stupid, I think. I've always been under the understanding that all guns are loaded so you have to pull bolt back to see for yourself. Relying on a little plastic thing is... well. But my biggest gripe is the magazine disconnector safety. The magazine won't fall out easily, and I'm sure it adds to the trigger pull.