The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 29, 2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Magnum.35744

.45 Colt/ .410 GA Derringers?

Hello,

I was just wondering if the new Derringers out there like Bond Arms for example. When they state the gun is chambered for both .45 Colt/.410 GA. is it possible to shoot only .410 GA out of it with both barrels instead of using a .45 Colt round? Thanks for any help on this topic as it would be much appreciated. Take care, and shoot safely.

-Tre
Old May 29, 2007, 08:14 PM   #2
Magnum.35744

Just now realized that I put it in the wrong forum...sorry about that . Just inform me if you want to move it.

-Tre
Old May 29, 2007, 08:28 PM   #3
john45colt

Derriinger

I have a Baford Arms Thunder .44Spl /.410 shotshell single shot derringer and have fired both from it, .44Spl. isn't that bad but the .410 is a handful. John

Old May 29, 2007, 08:33 PM   #4
michael t

I belive you can shoot 45 or 410 from either barrel. Best use on a snake as 410 will develop no power in about 1/2 of barrel. Shot guns need 18+" to develop their FPS . 45 Colt will suffer enough but least its a heavy slug and a pistol round. It todays world of compact guns a Derringer is a poor choice.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old May 30, 2007, 07:20 AM   #5
arkie2

I saw a fellow at the range last month shooting his brand new Taurus combo .45/410 pistol (yes, he could shoot either .45 or .410 from the same chamber) and accuracy with the .45 round was poor even at 15 yards. When you make compromises to get a gun that can shoot two different rounds you get less than stellar performance from either round.
Old May 30, 2007, 12:39 PM   #6
MikefromNC

I had one for a few years, and it was a nifty conversation piece, and rode nicely in a leather holster. Too heavy to carry in your pocket. Nobody wanted to shoot it more than once......
Cowboy loads were ok just to plink with, but those cor-bon .45's were BRUTAL! As were the OOO buckshot......I think I still have nerve damage from shooting that thing.........
Accuracy was about what you'd expect....good for about three paces down range. Did dispatch a few slitherers while I had it.
Old May 30, 2007, 12:42 PM   #7
Manedwolf

Quote:
saw a fellow at the range last month shooting his brand new Taurus combo .45/410 pistol (yes, he could shoot either .45 or .410 from the same chamber) and accuracy with the .45 round was poor even at 15 yards. When you make compromises to get a gun that can shoot two different rounds you get less than stellar performance from either round.
Um. That was the shooter, not the gun, sorry. Or cheap ammo. Don't be so quick to blame the gun. Haven't you ever seen one of those guys with a racegun with a scope the size of the Hubble atop it, but they're not even on the paper?

I have one myself, a Taurus Judge 45LC/410 in stainless with a 6.5 bbl, and I have no problems getting extremely tight groups at 15, 20 or more yards with either Ultramax cowboy-action 45LC or Cor-bon, which has a bit more of a kick to it.

Also, read the articles about the gun. Professionals have been pleasantly surprised at its accuracy with 45LC.
Old June 1, 2007, 11:05 PM   #8
KevininPa

Hi There, you asked about.......

.....derringers in particular, so I'll respond as an actual Bond Arms owner. I own the Snakeslayer model with the extended grip, gives you some extra control with your pinky on it.Number one , don't look for any long range accuracy. It's not made for it. With practice you might hit a torso-sized target at 5-7 yds. Recoil is heavy but if you're accustomed to heavy caliber shooting it won't bother you. I've shot a .357 long before I bought my derringer and I found that it's recoil didn't phase me much. As a side note, I'm a construction worker who grips tools and does a lot of heavy work, so the recoil of my handguns doesn't phase me too much more than work. My gun was my original carrier before I started doing service work in ugly areas. Then I carried a Sellier and Bellot 3inch 00 round in the lower barrel with a .45LC in the upper. The lower barrel is what I had set up to shoot first. In answer to one of your questions, you could put either a .410 or a .45LC in either barrel. Now I have different carriers with more rounds, but still carry my Bond Arms around my rural home area. It's now my "dogwalkin'" gun. I keep #9 in the lower barrel and a #4 in the upper, both 2 1/2 rounds. 1st shot snakes, 2nd shot critters, though at close enough range the #9 will dispatch a lot of critters. The extended grip of the Snakeslayer is far better than the usual derringer grip. I purchased the normal grips as a better form of pocket carry but learned my control went to he** and couldn't hit a darned thing. So the extended grip is a FAR better choice( in my opinion anyway, your mileage may vary ). I know this is long, but hey, you asked.HTH.

Kevin in Pa
Old June 2, 2007, 12:07 AM   #9
DPris

Manedwolf,
Um, no, it's not necessarily the shooter.
This "professional" got mediocre accuracy with three different .45 Colt loads at 25 yards, and same with three .410 slug loads. Shooting from a rest, using my standard test protocols for that part of the evaluation. The 200-grain jacketed CorBon .45 Colt load I tried was the worst of the bunch, all over the target backer, and I used no cheap ammo. My sample was a shorter barreled version. The 6.5 barrel may do slightly better. 15 yards, however, tells me very little, and your definition of extremely tight groups may differ from mine.
The Judge is a compromise gun, as is any combo barrel intended to shoot both bullets and birdshot. As such, it does neither as well as a dedicated gun that does one or the other. That includes the Bonds.
Denis