The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 16, 2007, 08:30 PM   #1
Full-choke

Best of the 45-70???

Okay, so I think everyone almost has me talked into another 45-70. I own a TC Encore, but I haven't had it long enough to put it to it's full potential. The best I have done is shoot some plastic jugs at 100 yards to sight it in. Having been looking for a good mountain rifle everyone suggested Marlin big-bore lever guns. So, I want to know what some of the best shots people have made with the round are. Distance, adverse conditions, game taken, loads, anything and everything we can think of. Have at it...
Old May 21, 2007, 11:44 AM   #2
Heinrich

I do not own my own 45-70, but have shot it plenty in hunting conditions in South Africa.

I've shot warthog, impala, blesbuck and jackal using 45-70 which are all total overkill for them. It bowls all of them over, with 100% penetration, even with solid lead bullets.

I've walked with a hunter from the United States using the Marlim Lever Action shooting a 45-70 at Cape Buffalo, a one shot kill, 100% penetration. He also shot a giraffe with that gun later in his trip, again a single shot kill. Very impressive rifle, I would not mind having one.
Old December 28, 2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Boston T. Party

Get a Marlin Guide Gun, and Scout it.
Great fun, and I've used mine in Africa twice.

Not a DG rifle or caliber by any means, though.

Boston

My new book Safari Dreams available from:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...ari%20dreams&s
Old December 28, 2008, 08:08 PM   #4
zahnzieh

Love my Sharpes (Pedersoli) in .45-70. Have not hunted with it yet, but one day...