The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 14, 2007, 06:56 PM   #1
old ridgerunner

savage 99 butt plate

gentlemen,I have a modle 99 take down rifle that was made i 1914,and the buttplate is missing could somebody tell what type should be on this rifle,thanks
Old May 14, 2007, 09:56 PM   #2
James K
Staff

I would guess a hard rubber buttplate, but I wouldn't rule out steel. If the former, you might be able to get a plastic replacement. Try this link:

http://www.vintagegrips.com/store/pr...4&cat=0&page=1

Jim
Old May 15, 2007, 01:55 AM   #3
Steven Mace

old ridgerunner, the information at the link below might help you determine which buttplate is correct for your Savage Model 99.

http://www.savage99.com/models.htm

Steve Mace
Old May 17, 2007, 11:39 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

If I don't post tonight, send me an e-mail at kframe_19@yahoo.com to remind me.

To the best of my knowledge, Savage has always used steel buttplates on 99s.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 19, 2007, 08:44 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, according to Doug Murray's book on the Savage 99, it looks as if there are two appropriate buttplates for a 1914-era rifle.

The first shows the profile of an indian chief facing left surrounded by a ring. Inside the ring at the top is Savage, at the bottom is Quality. Two "extensions" or tabs on the ring, one top, one bottom, say Trade and Mark.

The second is an oval. The indian chief is facing right and brandishing a rifle (considerably more warlike). At the top of the oval is Savage. The word quality appears at the 3 o'clock position under the indian's arm. At the bottom of the oval in the 6 o'clock position are the words Trade Mark.

According to the rather incomplete chart in Murray's book, both buttplates have been seen on rifles up through the 1920s.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.