The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 13, 2007, 07:37 PM   #1
Victor LaGrippe

WW II Rifle Research

Ive recently received 2 bolt action rifles. I beleive 1 is a German Kar 98K. Would like to get educated on the markings. Like date of manufacture,Type of ammunition, How I could obtain accessories, etc.

The other rifle is about 8" shorter. the markings on the receiver:

42-XX

FNA-Brescia

RA05096

RE

Any help on researching these rifles would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Vic LaGrippe
Old May 13, 2007, 11:47 PM   #2
rufe snow

The second rifle is a Italian Army Rifle, called a Carcano

Go to these links, they will help you research your rifles and answer some of your questions.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/unif...k/k98index.htm

http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/
Old May 14, 2007, 12:06 PM   #3
James K
Staff

There are exceptions, but a Kar.98k should be marked "Mod. 98" on the left side of the receiver. On the top of the receiver ring should be a manufacturer's code (2-3 letters/numbers, like "dot" or "S/42") and a two digit date (such as "41"). There will also be Nazi eagle inspection and acceptance stamps. There will be four-digit serial numbers on most of the larger parts; if the rifle is original, those will match. (Some rifles were rebuilt or refurbished and part numbers "force matched" with a different stamp or with an electric pencil. Those are not as deseireable to collectors as original rifles.)

Jim
Old May 15, 2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Scorch

The second rifle may be a Terni carbine (Model 38, cal 7.35mm), essentially the same rifle as the Model 1891 Mannlicher-Carcano in a larger caliber, named for the Terni armory where they were designed.
Taylor Machine
Old May 15, 2007, 06:33 PM   #5
rufe snow

My reference notes that the marking "FNA-Brescia" denotes manufacture
in the Italian national arsenal/armory located in Brescia Italy. Manufacture of the Carcano ended there prior to the First World War. As the rifle has W W II markings, "42-XX", I believe it to have been reworked, probably at Terni.
Old May 15, 2007, 09:56 PM   #6
SDC

The second rifle should be a Mannlicher-Carcano 1938 Cavalry carbine, built at the Fabbrica Nazionale d'Armi di Brescia, and chambered for either 6.5x52 Carcano or 7.35mm Carcano.