The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 6, 2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Trapp

CZ 97b

Thoughts? Sound to be a pretty good weapon. So far it my front runner between the Taurus PT1911, and Ruger gp-100 (6" bbl).

Has the cracked slide issue been resolved?
Old May 6, 2007, 04:19 PM   #2
atblis

Uh

I think you're confusing the cracked bushing issue with a slide cracking issue. CZ has changed the bushings, so yes I believe the problem with the bushing cracking has been fixed. I don't recall there ever being a slide cracking issue (that's Berettas and SIGs ).

The only complaints I've ever heard regarding the 97B is about it being a finicky feeder (hollow points). This is usually attributed to the curved feedramp (CZ uses a straight feedramp on everything else...). The feedramp issue is pretty easy to fix.

I don't now about the Taurus but the Ruger is a very nice pistol, and very amusing. A 6" 357 mag is a must have.
Old May 6, 2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Trapp

The "cracked slide" issue was from my searches... That's why I asked.

I will eventually have all of these. It's just a matter of which one first. I am really in the market for a 45, and I keep putting off the GP-100.

I hate decisions!!
Old May 6, 2007, 05:42 PM   #4
roc1

I have one in fact I have 9 CZ pistols and 2 rifles.The 97B of mine will feed anything and the accuracy is on par with my Sig P220 and Colt 1911.CZ makes a great pistol.The rifles are as good as they get.
roc1
Old May 6, 2007, 09:53 PM   #5
HorseSoldier

My CZ-97B is quite accurate and the smoothest shooting .45 ACP pistol I have (compared to Kimber 1911, Sig 220, USP45 compact). I quite like it for range work (think it would be good for open carry as well), but it's over-sized for any kind of concealed carry, even compared to full sized 1911s or the Sig P220. I think if CZ made a compact version (especially if they single-stacked the mag) they'd probably have a decent CCW gun, though Tanfoglio beat them to the punch on the idea and Armalite is bringing a model to the market as well.

Haven't seen any issues with reliability or metal fatigue on mine, nor have I had any problems feeding Federal JHPs through mine (though I admit I've only put a box of 20 through it).
Old May 6, 2007, 10:15 PM   #6
atblis

Hmm

Could you post the link for the slide cracking thing?
Old May 6, 2007, 10:47 PM   #7
Walt Sherrill

I've been a member and moderator on the CZ Forum for 5-6 years. We have 6000+ members, many owning multiple CZs (as I do.)

I don't think I've ever heard a mention of a cracked CZ slide, let alone a cracked CZ-97B slide. (I think I've heard of ONE cracked frame, on an older 85B.)

I think you might've misread...
Old May 6, 2007, 11:37 PM   #8
chris in va

Walt, he may be referring to the locking block/chamber crack. I seem to remember a picture on the CZ forum about that.

But I'm sure it's VERY uncommon. I shot a worked over 97 a while back and was extremely impressed. It would be a very hard decision between those three. Heard very good things about them.

I don't know man, hmm.
Old May 7, 2007, 12:05 AM   #9
ATCDoktor

My CZ 97B is the most accurate out of the box 45 acp I have ever fired. It is extremely reliable with FMJ's but i have never fired HP's/SWC's out of it.

It is a large gun, way bigger than a 1911 but it fits my hand well and a pleasure to shoot.

Here is a pic of mine next to my CZ 75. It's an RSR special in satin nickle.

Old May 7, 2007, 12:19 AM   #10
270Win

A very large gun, to be sure. Someone with small-to-medium hands will have difficulty, I would think. But feels VERY well made. I examined two different ones in my local CZ-selling store, was impressed with both.
Old May 7, 2007, 06:45 AM   #11
Trapp

Post #19: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ghlight=cz+97b

Didn't misread, but I did want clarification. It appears that guy had some misinformation.

I think it is settled. I will be getting one. Everytime I look at it I like it more.
Old May 7, 2007, 09:12 AM   #12
atblis

Yep

I am pretty sure he confused the bushing with the actual slide. If you don't remove it, it appears to be part of the slide. Yes they fixed that.
Old May 7, 2007, 04:47 PM   #13
Dobe

I believe the CZ and clones are some of the best autos on the market. They are easy to shoot; they fit the had well, and they are accurate.
Old May 7, 2007, 08:30 PM   #14
Walt Sherrill

Walt, he may be referring to the locking block/chamber crack. I seem to remember a picture on the CZ forum about that.

Maybe. Or it may have been a cracked chamber/locking block on an EAA .45 barrel that you saw on the CZ Forum. (It was mine.)

That one scared the crap out of me, figuratively and almost literally.

Old May 8, 2007, 08:35 PM   #15
Peter M. Eick

He is probably thinking of my 97B. I sheared the recoil lug off the bottom of the barrel and locked the gun up tighter then a tick. I see my pictures are off the web site, but basically it was PMC ammo and the link down lug on the bottom of the barrel sheared off after a few thousand rounds.

CZ fixed it but I sold the gun. I could never get comfortable with it again after that happening. I am sad about it at times, because it was great blue job and I liked the gun. Heck I bought 6 mags for it.

Anyway, it happened to a few folks so I presume that the barrel steel was a bit hard or soft and sheared.

I would not buy one though. They are tainted in my mind.
Old May 8, 2007, 09:08 PM   #16
gordo b.

I traded my 97B off after seeing those 2 failures AND the darn thing wouldn't fee d many HP, although was good with ball. It was my truck gun as it was too big to carry, so I carried it in a locked (tear open) box as it was not listed on my Ca. CCW card.
Old May 9, 2007, 09:24 PM   #17
Walt Sherrill

Uf you're referencing the two failures mentioned above, keep in mind that one of those failures wasn't a CZ-97B... It was a Witness Sport Long Slide in .45. And a relatively low mileage one, at that.

Peter had a unique problem. (I remember it now, and remember seeing the photos.)

That is the ONLY barrel failure I've heard of with a CZ. The failure with my Witness was unique, too -- I don't think that either one was in any way representative of the guns that either company sells.

What was really unique about the Witness failure, for me, was that it didn't really feel all or sound all that strange or unusual -- got some gas flash back, which (to my thinking) implied a failed casing. I couldn't find it, however (Or couldn't see it among many at the range.).

I cleared the gun, made sure there was no obstruction in the barrel, and was about to load another round. But thought about it and didn't do something stupid, for a change. Instead, I stripped the gun, and found the mess shown above in the photo above.
Old May 30, 2007, 07:55 PM   #18
Trapp

Finally got one!!

I have to say: I am impressed. Never had a CZ before, but it looks like I will be getting more.

I bought a used one. It is Polyblack with only the rear serrations. I won't be able to give a range report until after Sunday, so here are my initial thoughts:

Pro's,
1.Big! I consider that a pro. I like Big guns. It is not so big that it doesn't fit, but you know you have a gun in your hand.
2.Smooth lines, It just kinda flows...
3.Easy disassembly, Got it apart quickly and easily
4. Overall decent trigger...I will elaborate in the cons.

Cons,
1.Plastic guide rod. What!? a wood and steel gun with a plastic guide rod? It couldn't have saved that much money...
2.Slide release, It is impossible to get to without adjusting your grip. Not really that big of a deal with me. I didn't buy it for concealed carry.
3.Mags don't drop free. Yet again not a big deal just something I like in a gun.
4. Trigger, DA pull seems a bit hard and long. SA pull is a little squishy but has a clean break. Now, how much of a con this is will show itself at the range. The trigger is not bad enough for me to get a trigger job, but then again, I am quite a cheapskate.

Range report to follow....