The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2007, 04:00 PM   #1
PeteQuad

Components for a new reloader

So I think I have a preliminary list of the components I want to buy to begin reloading. I won't actually purchase them until I finish setting up my workspace and read a little more of the manuals I have, but I thought I'd put them out there for criticism, to see if I'm doing something wrong.

I'll be loading primarily for .38spl and .44spl. I might load some .44 magnum and possibly a little bit of .32 Long. The main purpose is for casual target shooting.

Here's the list:
Primers - Winchester
Powder - Hodgdon Titegroup
Bullets - Rainier RP

Do you think that powder should cover me? Any input appreciated!
Old May 4, 2007, 04:55 PM   #2
saands

Nope!

In the end you will never be happy with just one powder ... there are so many out there precisely because they each have a specialty. If you are going to load all mild loads, then you might get away with a one-for-all compromise powder, but the second you try to get performance with reasonable pressures, you NEED to get the right powder for the job. H110 is GREAT for the magnum revolver rounds, but can't be loaded down ... so it does that one thing only, but really well. Also, make sure that the powder/charge combo you choose will fill more than 50% of the case ... this will guarantee that if you double-charge a case by accident you won't be able to miss catching the error before you blow up the cylinder on your revolver.

Be safe ... and ask questions if in doubt!

Saands
Old May 4, 2007, 05:00 PM   #3
saands

Oh I almost forgot ... if you are just getting ready to stock a bench, this is the one time that you might be able to place an order that is big enough to justify the hazmat charge to buy primers and powder online ... give it some thought as the prices can be REALLY good if you are going to order 4-6 lbs of powder and 2000 primers

Seems like a lot at first, but I probably have 12 different powders, so 4 to 6 is a good start. My recommendations:

VV N340
VV N350
H110
Alliant Power Pistol
Alliant RedDot

Saands
Old May 4, 2007, 08:25 PM   #4
PeteQuad

Thanks for the information I am only planning mild target loads for now. Also, there is a large local seller with decent prices so I should be ok re: hazmat shipping and stuff.

Excellent information about the powder filling half the shell. From what I've heard there is a ton of extra room in the .44 shells (both special and magnum) due to their predecessor being based on blackpowder charges. I'll see what I can figure out.

Is there any reason you were tending towards non-hodgdon brands except for the H110? The hodgdon manual is one of 3 that I have (Hornady and Lyman) so I was leaning towards that brand. Anyone have experience (good or bad) with Titegroup?
Old May 4, 2007, 08:32 PM   #5
saands

Actually the Vihtavuouri powders are extruded so the meter REALLY well out of my "Lee (less than) Perfect Powder Measure" ... other measures like ball and flake better than extruded, but not the Lee. I would check with people who have your brand of powder measure (thrower) as this could make a huge difference. The VV powders are also pretty low flash, if that matters. I have so many old cans of Alliant powders because they were one of the few companies that gave away load manuals (before they were available online). I also like Hodgdon Longshot for the 10mm, but IMR 800x is better for that one. I use several Hodgdon powders for rifle calibers. About the only brand that I have none of is the Winchester and that is because their pistol powders are ball and that thrower just chokes on them ... the flake powders are better, but not perfect.

Saands
Old May 4, 2007, 09:18 PM   #6
CrustyFN

PeteQuad, I think one of the best improvements I made to my press was to install a light so I could see the powder charge before I set the bullet on to be seated. It is very comforting for me to see that there are no squibs or double charges. I notice I weigh less charges now that I can see the charge. You can buy the light fairly cheap, it doesn't take much. Here is a picture of mine in case you are interested.
Rusty

Old May 4, 2007, 10:11 PM   #7
PeteQuad

Interesting, I'm glad I asked - I hadn't thought about the ease of dropping the powder from the measure. I have the Lee Pro Autodisk Powder Measure, so if anyone around here has one of those please let me know what powders it prefers.

I'm not sure my local shop has Vihtavuouri powder, I'll have to stop in and take good note of what they carry.

Also, thanks Crusty, that is a great idea, I will look around for one of those lights.
Old May 5, 2007, 11:16 AM   #8
CrustyFN

I use Titegroup in a Pro Auto Disk. It meters very well, I am using it for 9mm. I have also used HS-6 and Bullseye and they meter good also.
Rusty