The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 18, 2007, 05:00 PM   #1
CraigKN

Custom wood stock for 870?

Hello all. I'm the proud owner of a new 870 magnum express, and I'm itching to take it to the range. I have pretty short arms, and I've found the factory wood stock to be a bit long for my tastes. I bought a Remington poly youth stock, and plan to mount that up and hope it fits better. If I decide to go with a youth stock, does anyone know of someone who manufactures a wood youth stock? I prefer the look and feel of wood over poly. Any suggestions?
Old April 18, 2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Check Numrich.

And Remington. Call them at 1-800-243-9700.
Old April 18, 2007, 08:50 PM   #3
lev83

If shotgun is a keeper why not just shorten the LOP by removing a few inches off the stock. Really simple process and should provide improved handling your looking for.
Old April 18, 2007, 09:35 PM   #4
CraigKN

I'll check out both Remington and Numrich.

I have a 10/22, and I guess I was spoiled with the huge number of stocks for that model. I'd love a custom stock like I have on my Ruger, but I'm not into the tactical look, at least for this 870.

Thanks for the help.
Old April 18, 2007, 10:01 PM   #5
williamd

Don't ignore local shops. Some folks swap in or real wood to get the black stuff!! I picked up an 1100 stock complete for $40 at local gun shop. Not beautiful wood grain but like new.
Old April 18, 2007, 10:26 PM   #6
CraigKN

Luckily, I have wood already. For being the base model 870, its pretty nice stuff.

When I was at the store deciding on which 870 to buy, I found that the poly stock's got a little slippery with sweaty hands, the wood stocks seem to provide a bit better grip.

I think I'll try out the poly youth stock, if I like the size, get my wood stock cut down a bit.
Old April 19, 2007, 02:24 PM   #7
Desert01

I had my 11-87 wood stock shorterned and a Edwards Recoil Reducer installed.

T
Old April 19, 2007, 07:08 PM   #8
BigJimP

Talk to someone in your area that does gun fitting - there are a fair number of custom stock makers around but you can easily spend $1,000 on a custom stock. On an 870 - that typically is not a great idea - because you won't get the money back out of the gun.

But you need a stock that fits you - for length, drop at comb, drop at heel, etc. or you won't hit anything with it and it will beat the daylights out of you. Your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun - so drop, length of pull, etc all have to be right - or a 1/2" at the comb can be a couple of feet high or low at 30 yards.