The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 17, 2007, 07:51 PM   #1
RF4guy

Iver Johnson Cadet

Anyone out there have any experience with the Iver Johnson Cadet chambered for .38 Special? There's one in the local pawn shop in pretty good shape and I was wondering about the quality. It's not an antique, it's modern.
Old April 19, 2007, 07:41 PM   #2
RF4guy

Anyone at all? Is the IJ Cadet that uncommon?
Old April 22, 2007, 07:26 AM   #3
dogngun

The Cadet was a solid frame DA revolver, IIRC with a 2 1/2" barrel. I think it was made in .22, .32 S&W and .38 S&W, NOT .38 SPECIAL. They were also called the Model 55SA. I believe they were made till the 1970's, or 1980 when IJ was sold and re-organized. It should be made somewhere in New England...the "new" company was moved to Arkansas, made small .22 pistols and copies of the M-1 carbine.
IJ also assembled and finished the Colt black powder re-issue guns made in this period.The parts for these guns were imported from Italy. The company at that time was owned by the guy who now owns the Henry rifle company.

The gun should sell for around $100 if it's in great condition. They have very little collector interest.

Mark
Old April 22, 2007, 09:15 PM   #4
walter in florida

Iver Johnson 38 special

I see you got the info you wanted on a other forum. This revolver was made very late in the Iver Johnson production. Information is contained in Bill Goforth's new book on Iver Johnson firearms.
Old December 26, 2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Green Hornet

sorry to pull up an old thread, but i was doing a google search, and this thread came up. i just got my grandfathers revolver IJ, and it is marked 38 SPL on the barrel. also on the original paperwork that is in the factory box i got it in, it has a tag on it .38 special.

can anyone tell me about this gun? kind of interesting. thankyou all for any info givin.