The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 24, 2007, 07:32 PM   #1
tronman

New guy, am I nuts?

I just bought a new rifle for varmint hunting/plinking and all of my buddies say I'm insane for choosing the Ruger No.1...what say you fine fellers?
Old April 24, 2007, 07:41 PM   #2
stinger

I don't personally own a #1, but they sure are a slick piece of work. I don't see how it would be a problem.
Old April 24, 2007, 07:43 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

You're not nuts

It'll do just fine.
Old April 24, 2007, 07:49 PM   #4
tronman

Good deal...they had me worried telling me a 458 Winmag was too much for jackrabbits.

Actually I bought the thing being as I have a chance to do some hunting in Africa in a few months, just didn't think my 7mm mag was quite enough...don't want a cape buff or lion charging me ticked off after I shoot it.

Been lurking and looking a bit and seems to be lots of good info and folks on the forum here.

Now next question...does anyone know of a way to break the "way too big gun" addiction? After a couple of boxes of shells with this thing I'm already thinking...man something even bigger would be cool! 700Nitro maybe?
Old April 24, 2007, 08:02 PM   #5
fisherman66

You may very well be nuts

but you have excellent taste in rifles.

I ordered wood for a #1 RSI last night. I have a shop ready to take delivery once the wood is confirmed dry and ready for shaping. Still looking for the barreled action.

Your artillery piece should work out fine for Africa. I bet the cost of ammo can break the "way too big gun addition".
Old April 24, 2007, 08:11 PM   #6
tronman

Thank you, I've been eyeing the number 1 for a long time, just needed a good reason to pick it up.

Seems we Texans are well represented here. East Texas myself, but have done lots of muley hunting up around Childress. My last deer lease was in Coleman, jeez...more whitetail than you can shake a stick at there....but the prices got to be outrageous.
Old April 24, 2007, 08:16 PM   #7
fisherman66

My father in law had a lease in Coleman some time back. I hunt near Graham and Bryson (and maybe Greenville if everything works out).

Get any rough weather tonight?
Old April 24, 2007, 08:22 PM   #8
tronman

Haven't seen much weather so far this evening other then thunder and lightening. I'm here west of Gilmer, seems the worst weather always just misses me.

I knew a guy who had a place over in Greeneville, always said there were lots of deer there, but never got around there to hunt myself.

Deer used to be thick as fleas around here 10-15 years ago, still a lot, but they've changed their patterns a bit.
Old April 24, 2007, 09:22 PM   #9
USNairman

If you are planning to use a single shot rifle for dangerous game them my only advice to you would be to practice reloading very quickly.
Old April 24, 2007, 09:41 PM   #10
CarbineCaleb

Congratulations - a very graceful and regal-looking rifle - take lots of photos on your trip and be sure to post some here when you return.
Old April 24, 2007, 11:40 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

"...458 Win mag..." You ever shoot one? Guy came in the shop I worked in, long ago, who was going to Africa too. He just had to have his own .458. Buys the rifle(A Win M70 African as I recall) and a 20 round box of ammo. Rifle comes in, guy picks it up on Friday evening. Saturday afternoon he's back asking us to sell it for him. The rifle, 18 loaded rounds and two empties.
A .375 H&H would be more practical for Africa. You can rent a .458 if you need one.
Old April 24, 2007, 11:58 PM   #12
skeeter1

Quote:
all of my buddies say I'm insane for choosing the Ruger No.1.
I'd say your buddies are probably more jealous than anything else. "Illigitimae non carborundum" (Don't let the bastards grind you down) comes to mind.

If you're confident shooting varmints with a single-shot (and you rarely get a follow-up shot on a varmint), the Ruger No. 1 is about as good as they get.
Old April 25, 2007, 07:56 AM   #13
mikejonestkd

To answer your question " Am I nuts? "

YES!!!!

" they had me worried telling me a 458 Winmag was too much for jackrabbits"

Haven't you seen Monty Python's ' The Holy grail ' ?

Good god man!!!! you'll need at least a .50BMG, those rabbits are dynamite!!!!

get something bigger,,,,,,MUCH bigger for jackrabbits.

And wear body armor in case it gets close and personal and they start to chew on you, the armor is tough to get through and it will slow them down.
Old April 25, 2007, 08:58 AM   #14
FirstFreedom

Now wait a second

Quote:
Good deal...they had me worried telling me a 458 Winmag was too much for jackrabbits
You didn't tell me that part; about the caliber, until after my post. Yes, you are nuts, assuming you're not kidding. Are Cape Buffalos considered "varmints" where you are from? But as fisherman points out, being nuts isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Quote:
He just had to have his own .458. Buys the rifle(A Win M70 African as I recall) and a 20 round box of ammo. Rifle comes in, guy picks it up on Friday evening. Saturday afternoon he's back asking us to sell it for him. The rifle, 18 loaded rounds and two empties.
Old April 25, 2007, 09:43 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I haven't personally explored them, but these fairly new recoil-reducing butt pads seem to be the way to go for high-recoil rifles.

To be adequately safe with a single-shot on dangerous game seems to me to need quite a bit of practice in off-hand shooting at (guessing) 25 to 50 yards. And, in fast reloading, with the next cartridge already tucked between a couple of fingers of the support hand.

Lots of recoil can lead to flinching. Not good. Bummer, in fact.

Art
Old April 25, 2007, 06:20 PM   #16
tronman

Hahah, thanks guys. Yeah I was aware of the recoil of the gun before I bought it and have put a few weeks worth of gasoline budget through it so far. It is a beast but hardly unmanagable(and I'm not a huge guy).

When the opportunity presented itself for the Africa trip I more or less used that as an excuse to buy something I've always wanted on the pretense that I may actually have a valid use for it...but even if I don't it'll be fun to pull out on occasions and see which buddies are willing to try a few rounds!

My dies and bullets for the 458 arrived this afternoon, planning on cooking up a fairly light load suitable for hog hunting, plus reloading makes shooting the beast much more fiscally responsible.

And yes...I guess it's a proven fact whether I like it or not...I am nuts! But I love my toys!
Old April 26, 2007, 05:38 PM   #17
Lavid2002

hmmm

bet the way too big gun addiction will break your shoulder before you break it sorry pal your done : D
Old April 26, 2007, 06:24 PM   #18
tronman

Oh I'm not too worried about the shoulder, they have surgery to fix that kind of thing these days.

Here are a few of my other toys, didn't have the drum on the Thompson...had to wait another week to get it.

Hrmmm...I don't think the picture worked...oh well heres a link...

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...rrent=toys.jpg

Last edited by tronman; April 26, 2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: photo
Old April 27, 2007, 08:31 PM   #19
Jseime

Yeah theres a pretty good chance that you might very well be nuts.... I know I sure am and I love every minute of it.
Old April 27, 2007, 09:03 PM   #20
Fat White Boy

A Ruger #1 is a fine rifle. My friend has one in .22-250 and he is deadly with it...Don't skimp on the scope. Buy a good one.
Old May 4, 2007, 11:24 AM   #21
GLK

Quote:
If you are planning to use a single shot rifle for dangerous game them my only advice to you would be to practice reloading very quickly
Not a bad idea of course, but he'll be backed up by a PH if he is hunting anything dangerous.
Old May 6, 2007, 02:02 PM   #22
srtrax

Sometimes it's fun to be nuts! This is a start of a Ruger #1 project i have going. Yes i heard the same thing about being insane, but my buddies are talking $$$$$ and making no cents.. . TO EACH IS OWN, I LIKE MINE CUSTOM. Enjoy your new #1!

Last edited by srtrax; May 18, 2007 at 02:42 PM.