The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 10, 2007, 11:09 AM   #1
V4Vendetta

Gun safes for around $500.

In a few weeks I'm going to be getting my tax refund & around $500 is going to a gunsafe. What's a good safe brand & model for that price? This isn't a fire safe it's mainly to stop thieves from getting at my guns while I'm at work.

I'd prefer a combination lock instead of a key lock that could be picked or a keypad that the batteries won't die on me when I need them. I do plan on bolting it to the floor but the safe can't be too heavy because I live in a trailer. I'm thinking about 350 pounds or less.

This safe will be used mainly for long guns since I won't be able to get a handgun for 2 more years.

Thanks for the advice.

Within each one of us there is a inch of hope, of will, of integrity. We must never lose or give away that inch. For within it we are free.
Old April 10, 2007, 11:17 AM   #2
rwilson452

In that price range and weight your talking a cabinet not a safe. You can get cabinets with a dial lock. A determined thief can get in one faster than a true safe. It would take some work and most thiefs are not going to put the time and effort into it. Yes, do bolt it to both the floor and the wall. You need to adjust it so it bolts to the studs in the wall.
Old April 10, 2007, 12:05 PM   #3
V4Vendetta

What about those safes you see in Sams club & Dicks? Like these safes:

http://winchestersafes.com/

They are a little heavier than what I'd like but I might could think of something.

Within each one of us there is a inch of hope, of will, of integrity. We must never lose or give away that inch. For within it we are free.
Old April 10, 2007, 01:11 PM   #4
rwilson452

It exceeded your price and weight range. It has an electronic lock. All things you said you didn't want. It will work if your happy with it. It will stop anything except a determined thief. Nothing will stop a determined thief. It that vein, A Marine sentry beats a locked door every time.
Old April 10, 2007, 01:32 PM   #5
V4Vendetta

That Sam's club safe is probably what I'll get. Is it possible to remove the shelves in it to get more rifle space?

Old April 10, 2007, 01:39 PM   #6
rwilson452

most safes are flexable. you wuld need to check the particular model by sight and touch.
Old April 10, 2007, 01:50 PM   #7
cheygriz

Unfortunately, you're not going to get a decent quality safe for $500. Consider a lay-away plan and spend about 1300-1500, and get something quality. Your guns, and your peace of mind, are worth the extra expense.

And it's a lifetime investment. You'll never wear it out, or need to trade it in on a newer model.
Old April 10, 2007, 02:13 PM   #8
V4Vendetta

Thanks for the suggestion cheygriz but I it would take me a whole year to save up $1000.

Besides, I'm not one of those people with a bunch of expensive NFA goodies that need ultra protection. I have guns like the Hi-Point 995 & Ruger 10/22. Chances are that when I turn 21 my first pistol will be a Hi-Point .45ACP or Taurus gun.

Old April 10, 2007, 02:25 PM   #9
FirstFreedom

Quote:
That Sam's club safe is probably what I'll get. Is it possible to remove the shelves in it to get more rifle space
Yes, they are highly modular on the interior design, to suit your needs.

I have 2 of the Sam's Club Winchester safes and you can't find a better value safe IMO. You get some degree of fire protection, nice interior, nice exterior, and pretty good amout of size/weight/thickness for the money. But it's $100 plus tax more than what your budget is, so you'd have to stretch. Worth it if you can, however.

Note to self: get off duff and bolt down newest Win safe to floor.
Old April 10, 2007, 02:36 PM   #10
dakotashooter2

If you check out where the major frame members are for your trailer then add some extra piers underneath and place your safe above them, weight should not be a big issue excep for maybe getting it in and out. Since most trailers have particle board floors you might want to lay down some planking when you haul it in. As far as fire resistence 1/2 hr should be more than adequate. with trailers there is usually nothing left to burn at that point.
Old April 10, 2007, 02:57 PM   #11
V4Vendetta

My actual budget is the $500 refund + $150 in savings so I can afford the Sam's club safe.

My real concern is the weight of the safe. 575 pounds is a lot. I know Sam's will help us load it onto the truck & we can drive it home but getting it in the house & if the house will support that weight is a quandry. I can lift 100 pounds & my older brother can lift 120 pounds. That leaves 355 pounds !

Old April 10, 2007, 03:48 PM   #12
Hedley

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to move a 575lb safe on an appliance dolly. Getting it off the truck is the tricky part. The one mystery safe I have on my new property is of the same model, an I can "walk" it around myself, so getting yours into a tight closet or around tight hallways will be pretty easy. Whether it falls through the floor or not, I don't know.

If you want to go lighter, I recommend the Sentry G4211. I got one as a temporary safe, since I live on a third floor apartment, and fighting a larger safe up 3 flights, and back down again in 4 months wasn't my cup of tea.
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...340-03031-4211
Old April 10, 2007, 04:38 PM   #13
Jeepman77cj5

Vendetta, I don't know if you can get these in your area, or how much shipping would be to you if not, but I picked up a 14 gun safe on sale for 399.99 (almost $100 off). Here in Reno there's a local safe shop that keeps them in stock. They also have a 10 gun model for less. I understand it's no top of the line "safe", but to me it's perfect because it's more than a glorified gym locker, and it's something I can move around by myself. I figure I've got a couple more moves before I settle into my own house. That's when I plan on the fire rated, $1200-1500 (or more )monster.

Mine is called a Buffalo River safe, it's not fire rated, it has one locking shelf inside at the top, electronic combo lock with key override, full carpet (cheap and thin, but velcro pistol holsters will grab hold nicely) It has whats looks like a 5/16" steel door, slightly thinner walls and bottom, 8 locking bolts total (3 per side, one on top and bottom) and it weighs 330# if I remember correctly. It's drilled on the back for two mounting holes, and two on the bottom also, just have to cut through the carpet. Runs on 4 AA batteries and the code is very easy to set yourself once you get it open. You can set any code up to 6 digits. The LCD screen shows the code as you put it in, or you can press the * key first and it's hidden as you input it.

For the money, it's a very nice middle of the road option, and I am 100% percent happy with it for my current needs. When I finally get settled in somewhere, it's going to be turned into my ammo locker only as I'll have my firearms in the other safe once it's acquired. I recommend it 110% if it's available to you (or anyone else for that matter) I don't have a digital camera otherwise I'd load this thread with pictures.

http://www.legacysports.com/products...ecs_safes.html

There isn't a picture on this page, but they have a link on the website for a .pdf catalog and it's shown on page 38. This is the company that imports them and they list 35 retailers in NC. The model I have is the BRSQ5320

Last edited by Jeepman77cj5; April 10, 2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: incorrect catalog number posted.
Old April 10, 2007, 05:46 PM   #14
V4Vendetta

Thanks Jeepman . I looked at the catalog you mentioned & it says $516 not counting shipping for a safe that has significantly less space. However it's lighter so I'll look into it .

The closest dealer to me is Charlie's hunting & fishing but I think they went out of business . What kind of warranty do those safes have? If they get broke into will Buffalo replace the safe for free like the Sam's version?

Old April 10, 2007, 06:13 PM   #15
Billy Sparks

Chris, get yourself a decent hand truck and you and your brother can move the safe okay just be careful you don't get tipped over too far or it will go where it wants to go. As far as the weight, after you place the safe go under the trailer and build a pier with cinder blocks and you should be okay. Remember people put water beds in trailers and water weighs 8.1 lbs per gallon.
Old April 11, 2007, 11:23 AM   #16
V4Vendetta

I just checked this morning & there is a cinder block stack about 3' beside where I want to put the safe. Is that close enough?

Old April 14, 2007, 07:58 PM   #17
Quintin

I bought a 17 cubic foot Remington branded safe made by Liberty. Remington calls it a Sportsman, Liberty calls it a Centurion. I got it for $670 out the door (a little more than you wanted to spend, I know). It's fire rated at 1200 degrees for 30 minutes, has a lockable dial combination lock and depending on how it's arranged, can hold around 15 long guns I think. It also has a lifetime warranty through Liberty, a lifetime repair/replacement if damaged during a fire, break in or break in attempt, a five year parts/labor warranty on the lock and after the first five years, a lifetime warranty on the parts of the lock. It weighs about 420 lbs empty.
Old April 14, 2007, 08:36 PM   #18
PinnedAndRecessed

This is one I got off Academy's web page. I've not seen it in person, but it does have substantial locking lugs and a three number combination lock.

It's $329. I'm also looking for an inexpensive safe.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...340-03031-4211

Keep in mind that any home gun safe can be broken into with a circular saw with masonry blades, if the perp has enough time. And also, that the vast majority of firearms stolen, are stolen by friends/acquaintences of the gun owner. So says an acquaintence of mine who happens to sell gun safes.

The best protection for your guns is secrecy.
Old April 15, 2007, 12:37 AM   #19
Hedley

^That's the same one I've got, and for the money it's a pretty nice safe. Don't expect to fit 14 long guns in it though. Maybe 9 or 10, and that's pushing it. The lock isn't a UL type, but if you bolt it down properly, it should stop a smash and grab type of break in. Better than a gun locker for sure.
Old April 15, 2007, 01:55 AM   #20
dbgun

I bought the Sentry safe from Academy, 2 years ago. It's suppose to be
the 14 gun safe, But I have 8 rifles & 3 shotguns in there now and there
really isn't room for any more items. All the rifle stocks are butting up aginst each other. I was told by some friends, that I'd fill it (only had 4 rifles & 2 SG's) pretty soon. I didn't beleive them, but now I'm pretty much out of room.
If your just starting out, buy the biggest safe you can afford. JMO.
Old April 15, 2007, 12:20 PM   #21
BillCA

Vendetta,

I managed to get a Liberty Centurion 17 cu ft safe from Costco for $699 last January. See if they have any of those left if you have a local CostCo (this was a curbside delivery price). A Sentry safe or the others mentioned will also probably do fine for your needs.

As to locating it in a mobile home or trailer... You can brace the flooring underneath the desired location by cutting 4x4 legs to fit under the flooring and adding a 1/2" section of plywood to help disperse the load. The legs should be just long enough that they wedge-fit under the flooring. This also gives you something extra to anchor the safe to by using bolts/washers/lock-nuts.

Borrow or rent an appliance dolly to save your backs. You and your brother should be able to get it inside with a little sweat & shoving. If your flooring is thin, two sheets of 1/2" plywood will disperse the weight as you move it, but you'll need a 3rd person to pick up the "empty" sheet and pass it ahead of your travel.
Old April 16, 2007, 11:40 AM   #22
ScottsGT

Go for the Sam's Club safe. I bought two of them back on Christmas Eve. Got one for myself and one for the guy that made the windfall possable. Even better, E-mail Granite Safe Company and ask them for a set of the scroll decals for the corners of the pin striping on the doors. They delete these on the Sam's safes to save money. They'll send them free of charge.
BTW, my only complaint, the interior STINKS! Not sure it it is the glue they use or the cloth lining, but it STINKS! My old cabinet had a smell of Hoppies, leather and boiled linseed oil, a real mans cologne!
Old April 16, 2007, 12:42 PM   #23
JWT

Home Depot carries the Sentry gun safes (or at least they do in this area) and generally have both the 10 gun and 14 gun models. Their prices are comparable to Wal-Mart on the Sentrys.
Old April 16, 2007, 01:09 PM   #24
V4Vendetta

Since the Virginia tech incident today, my refund will be going toward 7.62x39 ammo & a 12 gauge among other things. The safe will be taking a backseat right now unless I decide on a Sentry for $200.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Be assured that I read & appreciate all posts.

Old April 16, 2007, 02:06 PM   #25
ScottsGT

Quote:
Since the Virginia tech incident today, my refund will be going toward 7.62x39 ammo & a 12 gauge among other things. The safe will be taking a backseat right now unless I decide on a Sentry for $200.
None of this would have done you any good on a campus since as a law abiding citizen, your guns and ammo would have been at home. Get the safe and keep your guns away from someone that might break into your home and do something just like this. Don't make a knee jerk reaction to something that has nothing to do with you.
I work on a University campus and cannot even bring a firearm on campus in the trunk of my car, legally....