The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2007, 09:57 PM   #1
rfdillon

Mil surp brass question

Folks, I have recently been delving into reloading GP11 brass, with Berdan large primers, and have recently purchased a small amount from an individual. They were kind enough to send me quite a few Berdan primed 7.62X54 and 303 British brass, both which I can use.
My question is this: The 303 British is some of that 1943 cordite loaded brass. Is this brass safe to use today, given if I am successful in depriming and repriming it?
Also, the 7.52X54 brass looks nice, is Berdan- primed, and has a head stamp of 87 on the top, and a character that looks kind of like an S on the bottom. Does anyone know anything about that brass, and again, if I am successful in depriming it, is it safe to reload? I will be washing them out in soap and water, prior to tumbling them, but wanted to get your opinions before I went to a lot of work for nothing.

Thanks so much in advance for all your help!
Old April 10, 2007, 08:38 PM   #2
TEDDY

berdan brass

it is not the cordite its the corrosive primer.washing will take care of residue.
why are you using berdan brass when you can get cases in boxer primer.also those 303 were made in wartime and longativity was not a concern.I would annell the necks and shoulders.
Old April 14, 2007, 10:33 PM   #3
cheygriz

Quote:
why are you using berdan brass when you can get cases in boxer primer.also those 303 were made in wartime and longativity was not a concern.I would annell the necks and shoulders.
+1 Berdan cases can be reloaded. But unles you're reloadng a rare caliber where boxer brass is unavailable, it's not worth the hassle.

I've reloaded a few, using a RCBS Berdan decapping tool, and to me, at least, it just isn't worth it.
Old April 15, 2007, 06:12 AM   #4
Smokey Joe

Berdan cases

IMHO, reloading Berdan-primed cases is like reloading steel cases: Yes, it can be done, with a great deal more hassle and no better results than by doing it the "right" way--Boxer-primed brass.

There are those people who claim XLNT results, doing one of the above, but they always have to go to more hassle, or buy special equipment, or both, than otherwise. They are also more stubborn than I am, and that's saying quite a bit!

If it's not a question of desperate need, don't bother.

As to the brass from the 1940's--Look on it as a chance to buy some brand-new, shiny, BERDAN-PRIMED, brass!

Brass 60+ years old is likely to age-crack when resized. Yes you can anneal it, but see above regarding extra effort for no better results. Mebbe a collector will want some of it. A scrap dealer will take all of it--brass is currently going for >$1.60/lb.

--Smokey Joe