The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2007, 10:38 AM   #1
mwalstien

Lee Auto Disk - Titegroup

I'm working on a load and I need to meaure out 3 grains of Titegroup using my lee auto disk. Trouble is, the smallest disk hole measures out 3.5. How do lee auto disk users go lower than that?
Old April 7, 2007, 11:07 AM   #2
ShootingNut

I'm not the resident expert but, in my short time reloading with my Lee equipment, I have found it very hard to get down to that grain weight with a disk or the adjustable charge bar. I use both, and found the charge bar nice to work with, but not much good getting small throws either. Then of course, the smaller charge holes, gets you into using powder graphite to "lube" up the channel down through.
Maybe the answer is to look at differant powders, and see if you can use another that requires a higher grain load, that will fit in better with your disk sizes. As you know, stick with the manufacurers charted loads. Mine swing 2 or 3 tenths no matter what I do with my equipment. If you scale every load, you don't make any time, but I do check every 10 drops or so.
Good luck,
The real expierenced loaders should give you some good advice!
Old April 7, 2007, 11:19 AM   #3
benedict1

Since Titegroup is a ball powder it should meter well from small cavities. So, I would recommend you get a Lee Micro Disk. It has smaller cavities and is very good with powders like Win 231. For example, I load 2.2 gr of Win 231 for my .38 S&W Cartridge revolver and the Micro Disk works great. You can get one here--

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products...dli/90578.html

for $8.95 + shipping.
Old April 7, 2007, 04:56 PM   #4
MADISON

Lee Auto-disk

Doesn't Lee make an adjustable disk for small quantities of Bullseye?
If there is little information, then a little trial and error would be required.
www.leeprecision.com
Old April 7, 2007, 05:04 PM   #5
benedict1

Yes, they make an Adjustable Charge Bar--it will work for small amounts of ball powders just as well as the Micro Disk. Costs about the same. You can also use it at larger volumes for flake powders too--most flake powders will measure pretty well over 4.5 gr total weight, although static can mess that up a bit.

I have both units but tend to go to the Micro Disk--just easier to use.
Old April 7, 2007, 06:21 PM   #6
CrustyFN

You will have trouble with the charge bar trying to throw 3 grains of TG or less. Been there. I think the micro disk would be your best option.
Rusty
Old April 7, 2007, 07:00 PM   #7
ShootingNut

Crusty

I agree with you, get close to 3 grains and forget it, the charge opening contour with the tight corners (ends) doesn't contibute much to accurate measures. Better then to go with the round charge holes in a disk, wish they had more disk sizes, rather than going with the double stack disks (which Iv'e never tried).
Even so, using the disks I vary in drop weights more than I want. Shot some at the range today, and when drops varied from 5.8 to 6.2 in a .40 SW you really get a surprise recoil every now and then!
So, the question for all you "expierenced" loaders, what is the answer or is this just the world of reloading in action?
Happy Easter All!
Old April 8, 2007, 09:48 PM   #8
amamnn

I've recently had a rash of squibs in loads I had dropped through my Lee Pro (that's the one with the adjustable charge bar) auto disk system. I previously had added a baffle to mine even though Lee thinks it's not necessary and done the old ground mica trick, and had happily been dropping charges under 4 grains for years without a single problem.

For various reasons, I was thinking that the Lee auto disk was the culprit and re-did everything in the system, but had another squib. I ended up disassembling 500+ rounds of various calibers and finding one possible squib--it was only 1.7 grains that should have been 3.5.

I reloaded the primed cases with charges dropped through my PACT dispenser/scale combo so there could be no question of a light powder load. I had another one. I am now sure that at least one squib was a bad CCI primer and suspect all were. I had bought some when Federals were out of stock here. Still, that one light charge bothers me and I no longer trust the auto disk to load anything under 5 grains. If you look at the actual hole that the adjustable charge bar make to drop 3 grains, it's pretty obvious how light drops could happen.
Old April 9, 2007, 02:18 PM   #9
Zippy06

+1 Rusty.
Just got the Micro disk.
Loading some .357 mag. 146 gn DEWC 3.0 Titegroup. Nice.
1" group at 25'. Just like a hole punch.
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy

Last edited by Zippy06; April 9, 2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old April 9, 2007, 04:40 PM   #10
CrustyFN

Quote:
+1 Rusty.
Just got the Micro disk.
Loading some .357 mag. 146 gn DEWC 3.0 Titegroup. Nice.
1" group at 25". Just like a hole punch.
Awesome. I was trying to load some light 9mm loads with plated bullets. Sounds like I will have to buy a micro disk also.
Rusty
Old April 10, 2007, 11:01 AM   #11
zxd9

I too was having problems with Titegroup. Sometimes it just wouldn't drop anything into the case. After I used up the TG I bought some W231. Same problems. Then I noticed something. The chain that pulls the disk back was loose and sometimes it did not pull the disk all the way back and that's when I got little or no charges. I adjusted the chain and ran another 50 with no problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I've also used VV N320/N330 and it works great even with the apparent chain problems.
Old April 10, 2007, 11:56 AM   #12
benedict1

Complete cycling of an Auto Disk is Crucial

Some folks have problems with the Auto Disk just for this reason--the disk does not make a complete cycle. Not only must the chain be taut on the Load Master but the powder-through expander die MUST be set low enough to cause the disk to move completely out over the drop hole in the measure.

People seem to get into this because they don't want to bell the case mouth too much thinking that will 'work' the brass too much and shorten case life. That may be, but a short charge, or no charge, is much the worse thing.

I always check at the start of every loading session to make certain that the disk cycles completely.

Setting the chain for a Load Master is very simple--if you haven't seen it, watch this video series--it also tells how to correctly set priming, dies, etc.

*-Setting up a Load Master Part 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFprUSI7WuM
*-Setting up a Load Master Part 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCnWhkJSUQs