The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 5, 2007, 06:39 PM   #1
piratecountry

.375 H&H recoil??

I want a .375 H&H rifle, either a CZ, Remington or Ruger, just in case Cape Buffalo or Brown Bears invade NC. I don't "need" it but that's not the point. I have to admit that I'm nervous about the recoil because of all the things I've read over the last 30 years. It is an African caliber after all. I've been shooting all my life and don't consider myself recoil shy but who knows. I shoot heavy loaded 30-06 loads all the time, have no problem with 350 gr +p+ 45-70 loads from a 1895 Marlin and don't flinch when shooting 3" slugs and buckshot from Remington 870s with 18" barrels. Do any of these compare? I had an old man at my gun club tell me that the 3" slugs from a short barrel shotgun are worse than a .375. I learned a long time ago to listen to old men. Opinions are welcome. Thanks!
Old April 5, 2007, 07:24 PM   #2
CarbineCaleb

I've only shot the 12 gauge, not the .375, but most people believe recoil correlates best with projectile momentum. Here are some representative figures then:

.375H&H: 300gr * 2600 fps = 780,000
12 gauge, 3inch shell, 1oz slug: 437gr * 1760 fps = 769,120

Which puts the cartridges themselves in a virtual dead heat for recoil potential. What remain as variables are the mass and design of the gun and how well they soak up the reactive force generated by the cartridge. As you noted, heavier guns are more comfortable for the same chambering. Shock absorbing stock materials and an inline stock can both help further, for example.

As far as making a given gun more comfortable, a lot of people love the recoil pads from Sims Vibration Labs, aka the Remington R3 recoil pad. Sims now seems to have a new and more advanced version coming out.
http://www.limbsaver.com/Products/Fi...ecoil_Pad.aspx
Old April 5, 2007, 08:09 PM   #3
deadin

H&H --- Heavy & Hard.
Old April 5, 2007, 08:11 PM   #4
Charshooter

old man’s opinion

375 H&H will have a faster kick than your 12 gauge, but as the previous poster said, the recoil will not be that much different from a 3 inch 12 gauge heavy buckshot or slug. I would recommend a heavy rifle, the Winchester classic is fine and the Ruger, being heavy, is quite nice. CZ I have seen are also nice rifles.

The main thing is the kick is more apparent when holding a steady aim. Standing and offhand shooting the 375 is about the same as your 12 gauge. Precision shooting is where men notice the 375’s recoil

An old man’s opinion.

No loud hippity hop rock music please!
Old April 5, 2007, 08:28 PM   #5
cheygriz

If there is one all around rifle for hunting big game worldwide, it's the .375 H&H.

I have a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester. It's controllable, it's MOA accurate with my full power handloadfs, and it kicks like hell.

OTOH, anything you shoot with it, STAYS SHOT.
Old April 5, 2007, 08:41 PM   #6
Scorch

It will rip off both of your arms, throw them on the ground, stomp on your head then laugh in your face. No, wait, that's a 22LR. Like Caleb said, it kicks about like a 3" 12 ga heavy field load. I used to take mine out after jackrabbits in the summertime in Nevada wearing a T-shirt. A medium-heavy rifle (9-10 lbs) in .375 H&H is shootable and potentially very accurate. You will fall in love all over again.
Taylor Machine
Old April 5, 2007, 09:48 PM   #7
tube_ee

Quote:
I used to take mine out after jackrabbits in the summertime in Nevada wearing a T-shirt.
EEEEWWWW!!!

I can't even imagine what a jackrabbit would look like after taking a hit from a full-power .375 H&H!!

Insta-soup?

Got pictures??

--Shannon
Old April 5, 2007, 09:53 PM   #8
KDM

I just got one in January...a CZ550 Safari Magnum. Can't live in Kali without a 375! (Had to send it back for repair...barrel is misaligned to the receiver so I can't hit anything with a scope mounted.) I, too, was real concerned about recoil. First shot was a teeth-clenched, eyes-shut affair. It was not/is not the recoil monster I was led to believe. Of course it recoils. Of course you feel it. But in that 9.5# CZ with the nice Decelerator pad, it is very shootable. Last time at the range, when I was trying to make the scope work, I fired 60 off of sandbags. Shoulder was mildly touch sensitive on Monday, Tuesday was like I hadn't gone shooting.
Old April 5, 2007, 11:48 PM   #9
bobn

i shot a 375 ouch@ouch for a couple of years... from the bench it pushes hard. hold it tight to shoulder with both hands. the biggest thing to remember is to wear elbow pads to prevent rash from bench. a carhart work coat will also do the job. by holding it tight your whole upper body recoils with the gun.
....i can honestly say a light 300 mag hurts more, the 375 usually come with fullsize stocks and heavy action/barrel. that helps a lot. i could handle about eight to twelve rounds at the bench before i had enough.fwiw,bobn
Old April 6, 2007, 11:45 AM   #10
Scorch

Quote:
I can't even imagine what a jackrabbit would look like after taking a hit from a full-power .375 H&H!!
Actually, it looks like major body parts. 22-250 is messier. That one looks like soup, only spread out over 100 square feet.
Taylor Machine
Old April 6, 2007, 12:14 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

I find the recoil on most .338 Magnum chambered rifles to be far more objectionable.

.338s seem to always be chambered in rifles that are a lot lighter (almost 2 pounds in some cases) than the .375, and that really steps up the recoil impulse.

Back when I was with NRA one of my coworkers brought in a .357 that he had managed to pare down to just under 7 pounds.

That was pretty violent to shoot.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 6, 2007, 06:56 PM   #12
williamd

Have a light weight Sako 375H&H and guarantee the really felt recoil is more than my 12g M. But, when a Winc collector I had a bull bll M70 in 375H&H and it was not that bad ... I was 15 years younger, too.
Old April 6, 2007, 07:42 PM   #13
The Body Bagger

Its not that bad just place the buttstock on the bridge of your nose and pull the trigger.
Old April 6, 2007, 10:17 PM   #14
Dave Haven

Quote:
From my experience, the exit wound would probably be about 1/2" diameter. As Scorch said, the .22-.250 would make a bigger mess.
Old April 6, 2007, 10:32 PM   #15
williamd

Yep, Scorch is right ... as usual. I experimented with everything from 222 to 375 on rabbits, ground squirrels, coyotes and the occasional bobcat. The very high velocity CF22's were the most devastating. Especially using bullets like Sierra Blitz and Hornady SX. Large calibres tend to poke a hole all the way through w/o expanding and the critter would run. Some times for 100's of yards as they bled out. With the CF22's they usually did not take a step. And, no exit hole. The energy was expended inside the body cavity and even a marginal shot was terminal. Shock. Smaller critters, like rabbits and ground squirrels, simple exploded in technicolor!
Old April 7, 2007, 11:27 AM   #16
Edward429451

How persnickety is it to hand load for?
Old April 7, 2007, 12:24 PM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

Except for forming the belt, apparently powder cans are fairly easy to neck down to .375 H&H dimensions...

OK, so it doens't take that much powder...

Except for the general issues posed by the belt, loading for the .375 is pretty straightfoward.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.