The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2007, 11:26 PM   #26
KW-Bane

more questions....

Has anyone cut into one or try to flake off any of the plating? And what were the results from this experiment?

Has any plating flaked off or seperated from regular routine reloading?

The folks that had trouble or poor results when shooting them, did they leave leading in the barrel?

I don't work for them really!! I'm just looking for cheaper bullet prospects
Old April 5, 2007, 11:35 PM   #27
Eric M.

KW,
I don't know if you got the same promotion as I did from Midway, but these bullets sure are at a good sale price.

I was just looking at the data from my Hornady loading book, and checked on the load that my Nephew used with these bullets.
He loaded 6.3gr of W-231 with the 185gr flat nose Rainier, which put the velocity at 900fps which should be just fine listening to all of your advises.

Eric
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old April 6, 2007, 01:21 AM   #28
Guy B. Meredith

Check out X-treme bullets. The price includes shipping.

One person on another person sectioned Barnes, Rainier and X-treme (West Coast at the time) and found the plating on the X-treme to be the thickest. Like Rainier, they are double struck.

I've used about 25,000 of these and find they fit my needs and are very accurate. Among other things, I appreciate the crimp cannelure. I have pushed them to over 1300 fps, but have not verified performance. My normal load is around 900 fps.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old April 6, 2007, 05:54 AM   #29
missoulaz28

i just ordered 3000 from berry's. so i'll see what they do in a week or so when they show up.

i havent found anyone on-line or local that coud beat there prices.

i also bought some of the X-treme ones locally so i can compare them also
Old April 6, 2007, 12:07 PM   #30
BigJimP

Rainer - I did see some copper fouling in my barrels from their bullets but it wasn't a major issue and was easy to remove - but I clean my guns every time I come home from the range, I don't let them sit.
Old April 6, 2007, 11:04 PM   #31
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Thanks for the input BigJimP. Maybe I'll just get a small batch just to experiment. As long as they're not unsafe...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 23, 2007, 01:44 AM   #32
mattgreennra

Rainer

I recently got Rainer 200 grain fully enclosed SWC (plated.) I haven't shot them yet, but I had a helluva time getting them to feed in my full size 1911. Here's my post from another site.

For my full-size 5" barrel springfield 1911 I found the sweet spot. Since my brass is untrimmed and mixed, I have a small varience in my lengths. I found w/ the 200 SWC plated Rainers the key was crimp. I setup my crimp to much higher amounts than I did for my usual 230 grain RN winchester bullets.
Here's my answer to those who have similar problems:

-I crimped a little short of mashing the plating on the bullet, this was necessary to prevent snagging.
-I oiled the brass very lightly for all these rounds.
-I adjusted to maximum COL to 1.248-1.251. These chamber 99% of the time, the 1% is mostly just a bad piece of brass.

Thanks alot to everyone who helped. My problem was using shorter lengths according to my hornady manual. I needed longer bullets (similar to factory lengths) and a hell of alot of crimp. Now I just have to pull about 100 dummy rounds.... oh well. Thanks again guys.
Old April 23, 2007, 02:30 AM   #33
James A. Mullins

I use the 45 load with either Rainier or Berrys 230 grain. Never had a problem like mentioned above. My loads are in the 800 fps range and work good in several of my guns. Also use the 230 gr. in 45 colt, with a Lee taper crimp. I load these to just under a 1,000. Also use 44,357,9mm, ect. When pushed much over 1,000 accuracy goes down.
James
Old April 23, 2007, 10:15 PM   #34
amamnn

http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm
Old April 23, 2007, 11:27 PM   #35
glockopop

I just loaded my first 100 round test batch with Rainier 200gr. RN over 5gr. of VV N320. They worked great! I was going to order more from Midway but found a better deal on 500 West Coast bullets at a local store. I'll be loading them soon.