The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2007, 01:21 PM   #1
GJJ

Best reloading kit for a beginner?

I would like to start reloading .357 magnum. I only shoot about 50-100 rounds a month. I would like to buy something in a kit form. Any recommendations?
Old April 3, 2007, 01:32 PM   #2
rwilson452

starting kit

Shooting from the hip, I will suggest the Lee aniversary kit it's cheap single stage so it's a bit slow so 50-100 is ok. Then when you find your shooting more you step up to a turret press. then you will begin to shoot even more and you go to a full progressive press. Do you see a trend here? Two things I feel obligated to tell you about reloading. It will not put any money in your pocket. You will just shoot more. Reloading is a very addictive hobby. There is no known cure short of the grave.
Old April 3, 2007, 02:34 PM   #3
K96771

I started a few months ago and the Lee Anniv. Kit is a great way to begin. It's slower, but you learn the basic procedures easier. Be sure to get the Lee Manual too, as well as calipers and the .38/.357 dies. I got the deluxe kit with the factory crimp die. I ordered all my stuff from MidwayUSA - the prices are very competitive and shipping is quick. Good luck and have fun.
Old April 3, 2007, 04:10 PM   #4
GJJ

I was thinking about the Lee Classic kit to start off with. My only concern is that I have heard that primers frequently go off when you are trying to tap them in. Is this a big deal?

Dave
Old April 3, 2007, 04:21 PM   #5
rwilson452

Lee aniversary kit

The Lee Aniversary kit comes with the Lee autoprime hand primer. I have loaded 1000's 10,000's? of primers with the Lee Autoprime. I never had one go off on me. I have had on rare occasion have one get tipped and crushed when I pushed the lever still no detonation. Follow the directions included with it and it will serve you well and long. I have two now one set up for small primers and one for large no more need to change parts to change primer size. The same setup serves both large rifle and pistol primers and the other serves both small rifle and pistol primers. Sorry, one size does not fit all.
Old April 3, 2007, 04:32 PM   #6
Rangefinder

I originally got the RCBS master kit, then added a few much desired items to it. I keep swearing I'm going to upgrade one of these days, but it's served me so well for so long, I haven't really had the need to.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old April 3, 2007, 04:39 PM   #7
benedict1

Lee Classic Turret Kit

IMHO, do it right and get the Classic Turret Press Kit here-

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products.../KempfKit.html

Here is how to set it up--

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...ress/index.asp

Here is the way the Safety Prime system works.

http://tinyurl.com/lxapv

Kempf's kit comes with dies and everything else you need except a scale. You can get that from them too.

This is a wonderful press; will last for a long, long time and is tough, precision tool. If you want to add another cailber it is a small cost. For .357 Mag they will give you the Lee .38 Special dies with which you load both calibers.

You will not be sorry with a choice like this.

Finally, Federal Primers can be very touchy. Don't mean to disagree with my good friend rwilson above, but they are not recommended with Lee equipment. Some people load them anyway, but that can be dangerous as you can discover if you search this forum and others. Stay with Winchester and CCI and be careful when you reload.
Old April 3, 2007, 05:32 PM   #8
CrustyFN

I agree with Benedict1. If you don't want to by a single stage and then buy another press to upgrade soon because the SS is to slow for pistol then I would buy the Classic Turret now. It is the press I started on and it is very easy for a beginner to setup and use. It can also be used as a single stage press. I used mine today as a SS the resize eight hundred 223 cases. Over the last couple of days I resized and deprimed 1,700 of them. It is an awesome press and IMO you can't go wrong with the Classic Turret.
Rusty
Old April 3, 2007, 11:56 PM   #9
skeeter1

The Lee hand press kit will get you going, and for 100rds/mo, it'll do just fine. That's what I use, and for straight-wall handgun reloads, get some carbide dies. Relatively inexpensive, and it works.
Old April 4, 2007, 06:08 AM   #10
tstone

The Lee Anniversary kit and a set of Lee carbide dies is an excellent way to get started w/out a big expense. Just be forwarned: Your total of 50-100 rounds per month will increase dramatically after you pull the trigger on your first reloads and they go bang.
Old April 4, 2007, 07:33 AM   #11
ShootingNut

Go with Classic Turret now

and I'll second what benedict1 posted.
The Kempf people are great to deal with, and good pricing also.
Recently I had a question regarding an order, and I received an email right back from Sue Kempf when she was on vacation, that's customer care!
I started on the Classic Turret, you can too and then you are set for more volume when needed.
Old April 4, 2007, 12:47 PM   #12
Tim R

While I agree with most of the posters, Rangefinder hit the nail on the head. I did the same thing almost 30 years ago and still have not found a need to upgrade.

My reloading needs have changed over the years. More calibers more volume.

The ammo I load mostly now is 223 and 308 match ammo. A progressive would not like stick powder I use.
Old April 4, 2007, 04:50 PM   #13
Zippy06

Hi.
I'm Red. Here's a little cut and paste.
Lee Kit

Go to http://www.leeprecision.com/
They even have short videos. Buy the Lee book. It has all their presses. Step by step.
My turret is +20 yrs. 9mm to .308.
30-30 and .308 set up turret like a single stage.
9mm 100-150 rounds an hour.
Just set up a friend $ 300.00.
Don't buy from Lee.
Go to Midwayusa.com for supplies. Buy the kit here. Get Pro disk up grade.
http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products.../KempfKit.html
Buy Powder and primers local. Because of Haz mat. fees.
It's real easy.

Here is some more stuff.
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=491879

I know it's a lot to read.
By the way. Here is really the deciding factor.
Can you spend 1-2 hrs a week, at your new hobby?
Maybe more.
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy
Old April 4, 2007, 05:34 PM   #14
MikeRussell

For such a low volume, a simple single stage press like the Lee Anniversary kit is good. If you enjoy it and do not increase your shooting, then maybe a turret press. I shoot 2-300 rounds per session, 2-3 times per week on average...so when I started reloading, I got a progressive and just took my time until I got comfortable and knew what I was doing...now I crank out about 350rnds/hr with a Lee Pro1000.
Old April 5, 2007, 08:19 AM   #15
nass

I found the Cabela's Lee Classic Turretkit to be a better deal even though it does not include the die set.

I find it to be a very universal tool that can do single stage for rifle, or semi-progressive for pistol pretty well.

Get their case tumbler kit and your all set for ~$250 ready to load. It will be a wise investment...
Old April 5, 2007, 10:57 AM   #16
GJJ

Thanks for all the replies. I have the book, "ABCs of Reloading" on order now. I am debating between the Lee handpress and the Aniversary kit right now to get started. I have limited space. The one thing about the handpress that concerns me is it looks like you might need three hands to operate it?

Do any of you find the handpress easy or hard to use?
Old April 5, 2007, 11:06 AM   #17
rwilson452

I would not suggest the hand press for a beginning set up. yes it's a little tricky.

The difference in room needed between the "O" press with the anniversary kit and the turret is minimal. Suprisingly the Lee turret, pro 1000 and loadmaster all have the same footprint. In fact they use the same mounting holes. I'm not sure about the "O" press.
Old April 5, 2007, 06:23 PM   #18
BigJimP

I have to differ with most responses - I think you should look seriously at the Dillon Square Deal press for about $ 320 it comes with the dies. For portability - I would mount it to a couple of pieces of 3/4 " plywood - and clamp it down to saw horses or something when your loading and make it easy to store. I also think you'll get a much better cartridge off of this loader than the others mentioned.

For another $ 170 you can get an accessory package - scale, dial caliper, primer flip tray, bench wrenches, case lube, reloading handbook , etc.

So under $ 500 and it's a press that you won't outgrow - and it will have a significant re-sale value if you want to upgrade to a Dillon XL-650 or something down the road.
Old April 5, 2007, 08:06 PM   #19
CrustyFN

Quote:
For another $ 170 you can get an accessory package - scale, dial caliper, primer flip tray, bench wrenches, case lube, reloading handbook , etc.

So under $ 500 and it's a press that you won't outgrow - and it will have a significant re-sale value if you want to upgrade to a Dillon XL-650 or something down the road.
Thats only 2.5 times the price of the Classic Turret and the Classic will load rifle also, the SDB won't.
Quote:
I also think you'll get a much better cartridge off of this loader than the others mentioned.
I don't know many that would agree with this including a lot of Dillon owners that I know.
Rusty
Old April 5, 2007, 09:43 PM   #20
benedict1

I would definitely avoid the Square Deal B. I went that route and had almsot $750 invested in only two caliber. The priming system never worked right and couldn't be fixed by whatever they sent me; and loading .38 Special with varying case lengths about 10 rounds per 100 had bulged cases. I sent it back and got my money returned. Best decision I could have made.

None of this is even a factor with the Lee Classic Turret and the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I threw the case gauge away and have loaded thousands of rounds on my Classic Turret Press and ALL of them chamber and fire.

With the Classic Turret you can add another caliber for the cost of a turret and another set of DeLuxe pistol dies--with S & H from a place like Kempf's Gun Shop that is gonna' be about $40. Not so with anything from Dillon. And, changing primer sizes with the Safety Prime takes about 10 seconds. Not so with the Dillon.

Some guys can make the SDB work--I couldn't. The Classic Turret is easy to use, will give you 200+ rounds per hour; you'll never have a screwed up primer; the Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure is simple and foolproof; and the Factory Crimp Die option is just plain nice.

I have drunk the blue koolaid--red turned out to be much tastier--
Old April 5, 2007, 10:26 PM   #21
rwilson452

Red vs Blue

I do so love to see these red vs blue vs green vs whatever fights. I no longer take part. For me it is now a spectator sport. an enjoyable view.

Now boys play nice, no personal attacks.

Go RED!
Old April 5, 2007, 11:07 PM   #22
GJJ

Just out of curiousity, what do you guys think of RCBS? Their stuff looks well built. But, it seems like it is about twice the cost of Lee.
Old April 5, 2007, 11:19 PM   #23
Rangefinder

Once you go green, you never---wait, nothing rhymes with that... Oh well. Been using RCBS for about the last 10 years--can't even estimate the thousands of rounds I've loaded on it. It gets the job done without ever an issue. So I have no reason to consider something else at the moment.

Just have a good hands-on look at the equipment you intend to buy. Of those mentioned, they all work, and it would seem everyone swears by all of them--so then it just comes down to personal preference and what you want to do with it.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old April 6, 2007, 04:48 AM   #24
rwilson452

When you compare presses just remember to compare oranges to oranges etc. someone a while back was attempting to compare the little Lee C press to a RCBS rockchucker. not a fair comparison. instead compare the rockchucker against the Classic Cast. I admit I would like to see Lee come out with a starter kit based on the Classic Cast.
Old April 6, 2007, 10:33 AM   #25
roc1

All are good.I would suggest looking at the Hornady LocknLoad Classic Kit great press and then later you can move up to the AP progressive.
Good Luck
roc1