The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 31, 2007, 05:40 PM   #1
JimJD

Savage Model 10 FCM Scout

I was just reading the latest issue of Rifle Shooter. To my surprise, Savage is reintroducing the Model 10 FCM as the Model 10 FCM Scout!
Went and checked the site, but there is no information other than a one line quote in their "news" section. Does anyone have an idea on how much this rifle will cost?
I've always wanted a Scout type rifle that was affordable, now it looks like I'll be able to!
Old March 31, 2007, 10:01 PM   #2
SavageSniper

I found one article that said $500 retail.
Old March 31, 2007, 11:15 PM   #3
shooter_john

Last time I checked, budsgunshop.com still had the old ones for sale. I don't remember the price, but I know it was reasonable!
Old October 27, 2007, 09:18 PM   #4
3006mv

go back to their website and download their 2007 catalog it should be on page 26. the stats are way at the end w/ their dumb grid description. i think the new one has a magazine release at the trigger guard base, still no 3rd sling stud, the weaver scout base, and williams sights, the front being a brass bead (which i prefer, but most like a flat front blade), oh and best of all the accu-trigger. i wish it had the hogue overmold stock, which i don't think is available for the savage 10 at least the scout model. i don't know if it has the over sized bolt handle knob, it should still be 20" blue bbl. 1 in 10" twist with 4 groove rifling (so 175 gr or heavier bullets should be good in this) i wish it was matte, i think the bolt is in the white, wish that was flat too. a folding stock would be interesting. I have heard of people converting m-14 magazines to work but i have no idea how they do it.
Old November 12, 2007, 04:05 PM   #5
3006mv

I just ordered one (from Gilberts Guns $519) and got the catalog 2 days later in the mail from Savage, according to some websites it has an H-S Precision 2 aluminum pillar stock. The catalog is incorrect in that it states it does not come w/ the scope base but it does, however the grid and dot description in the back of the catalog denotes it does not come w/ the H-S stock, it is just marked as synthetic; once I get it I will take the action out and verify this. Also it has open sights (rear Williams, no threaded peep though) and one detachable box magazine that was newly designed (the release is on the bottom and flush with the stock, not the button on the side anymore, which I heard had problems) and it comes with a simple sling with a big loop and swivels. The bolt is chrome looking, not like the previous parked original pre accutrigger finish. It also has the brass bead front sight on a ramp but no hood.It also comes with a smaller bolt that is checkered on the top, not the big giant bolt knob as in the original; you can kinda tell by the picture in the catalog compared to older pictures that it is the smaller one. I was hoping it had that big giant knob but since I am using this as my primary hunting rig I don't really care anymore, just disappointed a little. I am looking to buy a Leatherwood Hi-Lux EER 2-7x32 rifle scope for it but it is not available anywhere right now, I have some very low Weaver 4x4 detachable rings for it. I get to pick it up after Thanksgiving and will try it with some factory ammo and some handloads with my new F1Master ShootingChrony! Now that I think about it maybe it was FAL magazines that someone modified to work on the old models. If I come across any I will maybe try to mod one but I am happy with the 4+1, I would only try a 10 rounder for working up loads at the range.

Last edited by 3006mv; November 13, 2007 at 01:02 PM.