The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 26, 2007, 10:10 PM   #1
macbar7

AR-15 in Massachusetts

Can someone please tell me what specifically makes an AR-15 compliant to the lovely Massachusetts standards :barf:? I do not have a lot of knowledge on the AR-15 and was wondering if i could also get some input on quality manufactures. suggestions?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Old March 26, 2007, 11:50 PM   #2
USMCG_HMX1

You might want to look at the California-ized AR's by DPMS, which are 10 shot internal magazines with a pump action.

You could also call Bushmaster, as they're in your neck of the woods and will help you with a purchase and the gun laws in your state.

Kris
Old March 27, 2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Diesel1

Ar in MA

I have an AR 15 M4 A3 that I bought last month in Ma at Four Seasons Guns in Woburn. Mine was compliant and it has no bayonet lug, because bayonets kill a lot of people each year, a 10 round magazine, a pinned stock, and a non removable 'Izzy' compensator named after the employee at Bushmaster who designed it. I'm pretty sure that's about it. Four Seasons also has plenty of pre ban 30 round mags for sale. Let me know if you need anything further as I have the catalog and manual with me most of the time.
Thanks.
Old August 24, 2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Arabia

You can go to this Northeastshooters website if you have questions pretaining to Mass gun laws and legal firearms in this state. http://www.northeastshooters.com/
Mass has a AWB which mimics the expired Federal Ban. This means no bayonet mounts, collapsible stocks, flash hiders(muzzle brakes are ok), and new large capacity magazines. Pre ban large capacity magazines are legal but are expensive. Most of the major manufactures still offer ban models, but they usually don't list them on their site. Four Season is a great place to do business.
Old August 25, 2008, 12:21 AM   #5
hknut

I heard you can drive thru Mass with those evil, evil guns that kill hundreds of thousands every year, but don't think about stopping! I'm done playing now. I use to live in Lawrence, Mass and we couldn't even go into a gun shop to look at a gun unless we had a gun permit. So I did the only logical thing I could, I rented a Ryder truck!

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old August 25, 2008, 01:11 AM   #6
Forwardassist

Quote:
but don't think about stopping!
Actually you can compete in sanction matches in Mass with banned AR-15s, or any firearm as long as it is legal in your home state. As others have said just make sure it is secured in a lock case. If you are taking part in a competition make sure to have paper work to prove that you are using the firearm in a match. I live in CT, and often travel to Mass for competitions without any issues. Now if you are not partaking in a sanctioned match, or hunting, then one can not stay in the state with unregistered firearms. You can only travel through the state.

Last edited by Forwardassist; August 25, 2008 at 03:26 PM.