The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 19, 2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Bonstrosity

Bottom Ejecting shotguns

I have a left handed friend in the market for one of these. I only know of the Browning BPS and Ithica 37 which are both pumps. Besides these are there any other bottom ejecting pumps or auto's. If known can you guys list an approximate price?
Old March 19, 2007, 10:24 AM   #2
b.thomas

the new Remington autoloader is a bottom feed/eject shotgun.
runs about a grand as i recall?
Old March 19, 2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Pops114

How 'bout the Remington 105CTi? It's auto & about $1500.
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...del_105CTi.asp
Old March 19, 2007, 02:14 PM   #4
Smitty in CT

All three of my boys are lefties, they all use Mossbergs, because of the top mounted safety, and haven't had any problems.

They are using pumps not autoloaders so shells hitting you in the face isn't a problem.

Smitty

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old March 19, 2007, 02:32 PM   #5
lockedcj7

The Remington 870 was made in a true left-handed version if you can find one.
Old March 19, 2007, 07:08 PM   #6
Blue Duck

I am left handed and shoot anything I want to, mostly. I have not found the shells flying out the side of the gun to bother me, and if you wear shooting glasses, then I know it won't bother you. You don't have to settle for guns that may not be the most disirable, just because you are left handed, but the Browning BPS is probaby a good choice in a bottom ejection.

However, if you want a Remington 1100, 870, Browning A5, etc. even a Winchester model 12 you can change the safety over to left hand operation. Often you will have to purchase an aftermarket safety, but some guns are reversable. of course the top tang safetys are very nice for leftys, and I must admit, I have hated crossbolt safetys all of my life, because of being lefthanded, but after changing then over, they work fine, still not my favorite safety system, but workable.
Old March 19, 2007, 07:15 PM   #7
Maser

I know this isn't going to help you much, but made me think of a funny experience. This happened a few years ago when I was hunting squirrels with my cousins and using a cousins shotgun which was a bottom ejecting shotgun. I had completly forgot about how it ejected and I held the gun muzzle up like I normally do with my shotgun and I ejected the spent shell and it popped out the bottom and hit my little cousin in the back of the head. I thought it was funny.
Old March 20, 2007, 06:47 PM   #8
Bonstrosity

Thanks for the replies, he gets along fine now using a right handed 870 but was just looking at his options for the bottom ejecting guns.
Old March 20, 2007, 07:22 PM   #9
Servo77

I would go with the browning. Nothing but good things to say about them here.