The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 10, 2007, 04:14 PM   #1
Jeff #111

Colt British Official Police in 38/200

One of the street crimes detective with my department stopped one of our frequent fliers (ex-con,drug dealer,armed robbery etc.) Thursday night. He discovered a Colt Official Police in 38/200 with a five inch barrel and a lanyard ring on the grip frame.

It's in excellent condition and it has British proof markings on it. I thought the only 38/200 revolvers that the British military used was the Enfield and Smith and Wesson (Model 11). I can't find anything on the British buying Colt OP's in 38/200 for their military.

Any help would be appreciated. The gun itself is in great condition. The arresting officers did a very extensive search in NCIC for the gun, but nothing showed up. Knowing the suspect the Colt is defintely stolen.
Old March 10, 2007, 09:42 PM   #2
Slopemeno

Thats the first centerfire revolver I ever shot. I dont know if low powered is the right word here...hmmm, but you can just about see that bullet go downrange. I wouldnt mind picking one up but you dont see many on the used racks anymore.
Old March 12, 2007, 08:58 AM   #3
BlueTrain

Some British police forces used that model in that caliber. The British police really are armed, regardless of what you may have heard. These days, .38special revolvers are more usual. The Police Positive model was also used. Police forces in former British colonies also used .38 S&W (.38/200) revolvers of various makes, including Ruger!

I also had not heard of the British army using the OP model, however, but that doesn't mean they didn't.

As a curiosity, I think the US Army had them in inventory for a while, at least the S&W M&P model. The caliber was parenthetically referred to as ".38 regular."
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 13, 2007, 11:03 AM   #4
Jeff #111

According to some folks on THR and S&W approximately 15,000 were purchased by the British for their military in 1940-41. Apparently many were issued by the British to the Free Dutch forces. They are also not very common on our side of the pond I've learned.
Old March 14, 2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Carlo

According to Major Frederick Myatt, Official Police revolvers in .38 s&W were not at all uncommon among British officers in WWII, I hear that the number of British Servive Smiths was much higher, though. The Colts had 5" barrels and round front sights, I'm reasonably sure I also saw Police Positives in the same caliber issued to British troops.

Carlo