The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 10, 2007, 12:02 PM   #1
evbutler

Benelli Nova-Anyone had problems or comments?

I recently bought a 20 gauge Nova. Used a 12 gauge most of my life and decided to go with a 20 for less recoil. Love it so far. The trigger pull is rather heavy but other than that it seems okay. I tried all the screw-in chokes and they are as noted for pattern. I have shot about a box of high base shells in it for field testing. Recoil is no problem even with the magnum loads. My question is: Will this gun hold up. Comments from anyone who has experience with a Nova will be appreciated.
Old March 10, 2007, 01:31 PM   #2
sonyman74

I have both Nova and Super Nova and love them. I have just bought another Super Nova for turkey.
Old March 10, 2007, 02:14 PM   #3
EJJR

I'm considering these as well. My main concern atm is the availabilty of parts should I need to replace something. Especially if the SG model is discontinued for whatever reason.

Maybe clarify your question Will it hold up, What conditions will it be subjected to?

Want to learn how to shoot well? http://appleseedinfo.org/
Old March 10, 2007, 02:40 PM   #4
evbutler

It will be sitting in my gun cabinet much of the time. I do a little dove hunting, shoot maybe 4 boxes of high base 7-1/2's during the season. When squirrel and rabbit season comes in, maybe a couple of boxes of magnum 6's. My main concern is this: With all mechanical gadgets, there is always a possibility of parts failure. I want to know if anyone has had a failure. I guess I don't make myself plain. You guys are trying to help me, but my failure to put it into the correct words is my fault. Concerning parts (if ever needed), Benelli assures that they are available. I guess I am trying to assure myself that I made a good decision to buy a Nova. I am normally a semi-auto user and now want to change to a more reliable and more trouble free weapon. My age is catching up with me and I don't want to waste any money on something that does not have good reviews. If it is a problem child, I will get something else. Thank you for any comments.
Old March 10, 2007, 02:43 PM   #5
robc

I like my Nova. Functions properly. Looks cool. One bad thing... the stock is a wierd deal. Can't put on a regular recoil pad. Had to use a slip-on.
Old March 10, 2007, 06:46 PM   #6
dgludwig

I have been happy with my 12 ga. Nova thus far though I confess I have'nt used it that much yet. I hate the looks of it but it seems to function well, especially in view of its relatively modest price. One caveat that bears repeating, if you plan on installing a "Side-Saddle" type shell carrier on the receiver ,be advised that the gun will not fire if you tighten the bolts too much (at least this was the case with my Nova). I had to back the nuts off a couple of turns in order to insure proper functioning. This anomaly is apparently a byproduct of the unique Benelli method of constructing the receiver which results in diminished rigidity, allowing the receiver to flex enough when too much force is applied to adversely affect the relationship between the trigger group and its positioning inside the walls of the receiver. At least, that's my theory.
Old March 16, 2007, 07:05 AM   #7
shootingbuff

Had mine for 4-5 years now and about that many hundred rounds through it.

All that shoots it likes it very well as do I. I believe it will hold up as well as any well made SG.

As funds permits I will add one more to the safe.

sb

sb
Old March 18, 2007, 12:20 AM   #8
chris in va

I had one in 20ga. Tried to get used to how it shot in trap, but never did get very good scores. The action was very clunky and would short stroke quite a bit. Ironically I get better scores with my Pardner 410...seriously.

Oh, and forget trying to find any parts for it unless you special order. The regular Nova is one piece as well so no dice in changing out stocks. The Super Nova fixed that issue though.

Personally, I think the Mossberg 500 is better. Shells practically feed themselves and with the aluminum receiver, it's nearly as light. I just picked a used one up today as a matter of fact, put my Knoxx SpecOps on it.

I'm not trying to completely knock down your choice, I just had a bad experience with mine.