The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2007, 08:14 PM   #1
Vinnie's Dad

Dillon 650 using RCBS Uniflow powder dispenser

I'm debating on using an RCBS uniflow on my 650. My concern is die placement. I use the 3rd stage for the powder check station and am not sure if the uniflow powder thrower will bell the case like the dillon does. If anyone has tried this please let me know if it is worth the change over.
Old March 8, 2007, 08:18 PM   #2
DaveInGA

If you're talking about the RCBS case activated powder drop, I'm not sure if it will. But I can tell you the Hornady case activated powder drop has inserts that will bell the mouth of the case while you're dispensing powder and the Uniflow powder measure works great on top of it. It's also less expensive than the RCBS version.

Regards,

Dave
Old March 9, 2007, 02:07 AM   #3
James A. Mullins

In the Lee perfect powder measure and through the expander both are done. You first set the bell then adjust the powder drop.
James
Old March 9, 2007, 02:14 AM   #4
snuffy

Here's my set-up for loading .223. I have the powder check die in the forth sta., with the powder die in the 2nd. For pistol, you could size in 1, expand/flare in 2, drop powder in 3, powder check in 4, and seat/crimp in 5. It's a bit tricky getting the powder check die in station 4, the clamp screws are on the inside! But it works!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 9, 2007, 08:55 AM   #5
Vinnie's Dad

Thanks for the information. I'll try it both ways.
Old March 9, 2007, 10:22 AM   #6
Dillonhelp

Dillon offers an adapter to allow you to attach and aftermarket powder measure to their reloading machines. It requires use of a different powder die, one with a set screw in the side to lock the Dillon powder funnel in place. With this, it flares the case mouth when you pull the handle down, then you reach up and manually activate the powder measure.
Old March 9, 2007, 10:51 AM   #7
Abstract

I use the same Hornady setup that Snuffy's using, on my 650. There are no inserts that flare. Lyman makes such inserts, however, that'll work.