The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 2, 2007, 01:48 AM   #1
fve253

slugs and mod chokes

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before but I couldn't find it.

Can I fire a 12 ga slug through a mod choke. A fella at bass pro shop told me that thats what most manufacturers recomend. Is this a good idea? Or should I use something more open like IC?

If it helps if got a mossberg 695 bolt smoothy.

thanks for any help. I wanted to check here before I damaged my gun or hurt myself.
Old March 2, 2007, 05:17 AM   #2
Maser

My Mossberg 500 manual says not to fire slugs through any choke tighter than the IC choke. However I have heard that you could actually fire them from full chokes, but you will get horrible accuracy.
Old March 2, 2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Ruger4570

Foster type slugs can be shot through any choke from none to full. The slugs are not really tight in the barrel and the rifling vanes are really more to provide a crush fit to accomodate different barrels and chokes. There have been studies done pertaining to the "rifling" actually imparting any spin on the slug. The general consensus has been that they are too shallow to actually "catch" any air and spin. They might rotate some in flight, but no where enough to add a measurable amount of stability.
Old March 2, 2007, 10:42 AM   #4
mikejonestkd

I used a modified barrel on my 870 for years with foster style slugs with pretty good results. Each brand of slug is just a little different is diameter and the slug to barrel fit will really affect the accuracy in smoothbores.
Old March 19, 2007, 01:28 PM   #5
williamd

Depends on the gun and the bbl. Will not hurt to fire a slug as the lead should not expand the bbl. Have an Ithaca O/U that is more accurate with a slug through the F bbl than the M bbl. Have used it for years and it still patterns with shot just fine. But, have an O/U and a SxS with very thin bbls that do caution against slugs, though they do not go so far as asy 'do not shoot slugs in this gun'. Too many $$ to test it!