The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 1, 2007, 08:39 PM   #1
tools

Ballistic vests

What is the best ballistic vest? Who sells them at good prices?
Old March 1, 2007, 09:00 PM   #2
jeo556

Google "Dragon SKin" body armor. I'm no ballistic vest expert but from the information I've seen on them they are "THE BEST POSSIBLE". There was a episode on futureweapons on the Military channel not too long ago where a dragonskin vest stopped a frag grenade at point blank range. I'm sure that they are not cheap but if you want the best you gotta pay for it.

Jeo556
Old March 2, 2007, 08:05 PM   #3
tools

Anything decent less than $5000?
Old March 2, 2007, 08:10 PM   #4
spacemanspiff

Second Chance. Safariland. Both are good choices. A level IIIa is pretty good.
Old March 3, 2007, 04:42 PM   #5
tools

How about these vests I find on eBay for about $350, from Israel? Anyone with actual experience with one of these?
Old March 4, 2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Indrid Cold

Jeo, while DragonSkin is supposedly the best, I haven't found anything to suggest that it's being sold to civilians at the moment. Now I don't know why it wouldn't be, but it seems like they are only making sales to LE/Military only.

Sun-tzu, The Art of War
Old March 7, 2007, 01:11 AM   #7
FM12

Get a good point blank, second chance, or something like that. If you get more protection than you REALLY need, the vest will likely be to uncomfortable to wear for extended periods, especially in hot weather. Take this from someone who has some experience in it. Ebay sometimes has this type of gear for sale, both used and new...also make sure you get the rightr size...this is NOT the most comfortable stuff in thew world to wear, but is rather comforting when it's needed! Also determine what type coverage you NEED, such as with or without side coverage, whether to buy a trauma plate, etc.
Old March 8, 2007, 08:35 AM   #8
hknut

I got a friend selling a military IIIA vest with front and rear impact plates. If interested PM me.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old March 16, 2007, 10:39 PM   #9
skeeter

Selling American Body Armor helped me pay for College. I still have a dealer sample in large if you are interested - Level II
Old March 28, 2007, 12:43 AM   #10
trooper3385

I use to have a Point Blank vest and my dept. changed over to Paca. There lighter weight and seem a little cooler than the Point Blank. I'm waiting for a new one to come in right now. I'm not sure if they stuck with Paca, or switched to a different brand. They replace all the vest after 5 yrs. Apparently, moisture (water & sweat) will break down the kevlar over time.