The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 2, 2007, 03:26 AM   #26
MilitantBob

This reminds me of a funny thing that happened to me a while back, except I was on the other end of the stick.

I was shopping at the local Wally World (I normally try to avoid it, but it was about 12:30 AM and was the only thing open.) I had just walked out the door when I got a phone call. I decided to take the call right there at the door rather then try to juggle my phone, keys, and bags as I walked to my car.

As I was wrapping up my call a lady walked out and headed into the parking lot. I headed out behind her. Her car was on the far side of my truck. I was trying my best to keep my eyes peeled as parking lots make me a might nervous. Evidently I'm not the only one!

She got to the back of her car about the same time I got to the back of mine. Suddenly she spun around and screamed, "I have MACE!"

My first thought was, good for you lady. Then I realized what she had in her hand...

Needless to say, I took a step back, made my hands visible, and let her know I was just trying to get to my truck. She turned about 17 shades of red and apologized for being so paranoid. I told her not to worry about it and went on my way.

Looking back, I defiantly exhibited suspicious behavior (waiting near the exit, seemingly cueing of someone else’s actions, etc.) And ever since I switched to contact lenses I've been told I look a little intimidating (Always been 6'5" and 255lbs, but I guess the glasses softened that a bit)

I guess we have to do more then ensure we aren't being threatened by others, but also makes sure we aren't acting threatening to others (unless you want a face full of MACE! )

I'm just glad she warned me first!

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit.
Old March 2, 2007, 04:39 AM   #27
choover

I agree with blackwater but I will take it a bit further. If you had drawn down on him for walking by you I think you would be looking at a felony, not just the loss of a ccw. I mean really, what would your defense be? Your honor, he walked by me so I pulled my gun.....

I understand what your post was intended to do, but I think it points out that you may not be responsible enough to handle a ccw at this point and really should consider willfully surrendering it before your actions hurt someone. Please understand I am not by any means trying to be mean but deciding to drawn down on someone for walking by you is simply reckless and extreme. Your gun should never be drawn unless the situation itself warrants the use of it. I will repeat that..the situation should warrant firing the gun if it is drawn, drawing it may prevent the need to use it, but the situation should be one where the firearm is your only alternative before you show it.
Old March 2, 2007, 05:24 AM   #28
stephen426

There are at least 2 other things you could have donw. First is look directly at the guy with a (mess with me and I'll kill you) look. Most innocent people tend to avoid psychopaths. Second, you could always walk another direction to see if he really is approaching you or just walking in your general direction. Evading a confrontation is better than winning a gun fight. Thats my $.02 anyways. Glad you didn't draw on him and all the other nasty stuff that might have occured if you did.