The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 17, 2007, 06:39 PM   #1
DeltaWhiskey

Shotgun slugs on hogs.

I haven't hunted in years, but my stepsons are all fired up to hit the field. I own many firearms but don't own anything suitable for hunting. I do however have a Mossberg Model 500 with an 18" barrel and I'm thinking of buying a rifled barrel/red dot kit from Mossberg. Would this rig be suitable for a feral hog, maybe up to 200 pounds? And while we're talking about hogs, is a backup revolver a good thing to have, and in what caliber?

Thanks from a would-be Nimrod!
Old February 17, 2007, 07:01 PM   #2
trooper3385

I think the slug gun is all you would really need. I wouldn't worry about the revolver unless you just absolutly wanted to take one with you. I think the shotgun would work fine within range on hogs up to and over 200 lbs. If you hit the hogs right, you can take them with a lot less than a slug. That goes for anything though. I've taken several in the 200 to 250 lb range with a 223 and 22-250. They don't have much armor plating if you hit them in the ear. If your aiming for a shoulder shot, the penetration is going to be the big factor and you may look into a larger caliber rifle. I wouldn't even attempt a shoulder shot on a larger hog with a 223 cal. rifle. With hogs, you have less room for error on shot placement.
Old February 17, 2007, 08:42 PM   #3
banditt007

i think you'd be fine w/ the shotgun. try picking up some heavier brenekke slugs (sp?) and def check out www.dixieslugs.com you can talk to the owner/founder of the company and ask questions/reviews of his products at www.shotgunworld.com

the dixie slugs are hard cast, heat treated full bore size slugs. these things are serious! most regular deer slugs are made out of soft lead, which tends to mushroom and pancake, lacking penetration. Basically the same concept of dangerous game hardcast 'buffalo bore' type bullets, only for shotguns.

as for back up, any handgun is going to be multiple times less powerful than the shotgun, i wouldnt even bother. unless you jsut want to carry one. if you do i would carry either FMJ or hardcast bullets in it.

All of this talk about tough bullets/hard slugs ect is all based on shooting them in chest. not 'in the ear' shots where nearly anything will do.

good luck and post pics! also as i recall hogs have a kill zone different than deer, more forward.

www.texasboars.com should give you all the info you need!
Old February 18, 2007, 06:33 AM   #4
SakoL61R

Yes.
Have killed multiple hogs with slugs in the swamps of GA and SC using 12 Ga. Brenneke classics outta my old Citori. All shots under 50 yards, all one shot kills, most through the chest/shoulders, a couple close enough to head shoot.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/

If you shoot smoothbore type slugs, practice, practice, practice! Some guns shoot them well, some not. My Citori is very accurate with skeet chokes. Sighting systems vary. Choose one that fits your needs.

Rifled barrel slugs have worked well for friends on "slug only" hog hunts as well. Don't have experience with'em to comment, though.

When legal, I always carry my .44 Super Redhawk. It's accounted for many hogs and a couple feisty cottonmouths.

Sako