The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2007, 07:49 PM   #26
ziggy222

10 years ago 3 older men that had been reloading since i was born taught me to reload.they would have reloading parties,every single person there smoked at every faze of the reloading.its a very simple task thats not as dangerous as people make it out to be.we argued about smoking while reloading once and one of them lit a pile of powder in an ash tray to prove that everyone was not going to die cause of the smoking.it was enough to fill a powder dispencer about a quarter way.well nobody got hurt,the house did'nt burn down,there was no big explosion,but we did have to open the window to blow the smoke out and the walls got covered in a light haze of soot.do not try that inside the house lol.smokeless powder burns very agressively like a flair,a plastic ash tray probably would of melted away.a big box of primers can go off like dynamite if you can get them to all ignite together,and so will black powder.anyway we never had an accident.i quit smoking 2 yrs ago,the patch reelly works but i had to go throught each stage twice.big tobacco can kiss my ummm money,yeah,money goodbye.now having said that,i hope some idiot does'nt light a quarter pound of powder off in their den an burn their house down.
Old February 19, 2007, 01:40 PM   #27
LAH

C'mon, admit it - I know some of you must think that if you're careful enough, you can get away with it - maybe not during the powder drop phases, but who smokes while reloading, at least some? I don't even smoke; I'm just curious.

I started loading in 1973. I quit smoking 1978. Guess during that time I never loaded without a smoke in my mouth. Was it stupid? Plenty will answer the question so I won't. The only loading problem I've had is setting off primers and haven't done that in a while but it wasn't the smoke that set them off.

No you shouldn't smoke or drink while loading. Can you get away with it? Yelp you sure can if you don't make a mistake. Smokeless powder burns and doesn't explode but remember expanding gas can do some strange things. Chances of blowing something up is slim but getting burnt isn't. Be careful out there and don't smoke or drink period. Life will be better "fur ya."

God Bless,
Creeker
Old February 19, 2007, 07:52 PM   #28
ziggy222

yeah the way the powder burns,if you had your hand over or very close to burning powder even for a second,i immagine it would burn your skin right off.
Old February 20, 2007, 02:22 AM   #29
Jseime

Ah Mr. Darwin we salute you.

I'm not a smoker although a cigar once a month doesnt hurt anything not so sure that I'd do it while at the old reloading bench though.
Old February 20, 2007, 12:43 PM   #30
T-Mac

Take up chewing....
But be a man...and learn not to spit!!!
Old February 20, 2007, 09:24 PM   #31
kgpcr

I smoke all the time while reloading. the gasoline on the floor has soaked up most of the gunpowder anyway, also i think the leaking propane tank is almost out of propane and it really does not smell that bad of gas.....
Smith M&P 40
Old February 21, 2007, 09:22 AM   #32
rogn

Smokin'

Quite some time ago, at a benchrest match one of the competitors left the top off a jug, yes 8 #, and dropped a cigarrette ash into the fuse hole. The results were described as an impressive mushroom cloud, and a tremendousflareup. With the volume of powder such as a pound or so the "confinement rule is nulified and the heat of the mass conflagration can take over. The gentleman involved did visit the emergency dept at the local hospital and escaped with relatively minor injuries, not thru any doing on his part. I think he's areformed smoker today. I figured out a while back that at todays prices I can get a new benchrest rifle every year free of charge by not smoking! 28 + years of smoking, but never over the loading bench. I doubt that Ill ever cheat Darwin but It wont be from smoking.
Old February 21, 2007, 11:50 AM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

Not only smoke, I reload next to a coal-fired boiler by candlelight!

I smoke, but I NEVER smoke inside my own home. I go outside to smoke.

So the answer is no, I never smoke while reloading, because that would require smoking inside my home.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 21, 2007, 04:02 PM   #34
gb_in_ga

Nope -- not me. Not before reloading, during reloading or after reloading for that matter. I quit smoking years ago. Now, back when I did smoke, I still didn't smoke while reloading. It just didn't seem like all that smart of a thing to be doing, if ya' catch my drift...
Old February 24, 2007, 12:52 AM   #35
weapons_762

yeah i do, but never keep it in my mouth, just the ashtray, usually get two puffs off of it before it burns up, and never ever had a flair up........................yet
Old February 24, 2007, 05:14 PM   #36
garbageman

Ever thought about taking up dipping or chewing tobacco?

Course, I'm from the Mountains of Southwest Virginia.
Old February 24, 2007, 06:08 PM   #37
HiltonFarmer

Hmmm. Gun powder and an open flame? Hmmm - Give up the smoking habit and you'll have more money to roll your own ammo!

HiltonFarmer
Old February 24, 2007, 09:21 PM   #38
LAH

Hey Garbageman, been there, done that, course I'm from Southern WV.

Creeker
Old February 26, 2007, 09:11 PM   #39
wicker

I enjoy my skoal and my cigars very much, while reloading or otherwise, but never, never when powder is involved. I guess I figure I just don't have the right to risk the lives of other residents in my home just to have a spicey Honduran robusto while I'm charging cases. I do I chaw up a storm though. Coffee and skoal.

I can see why folks like to smoke cigars or smokes while reloading. The smoking itself is a relaxing experience along with the relaxing roloading. They just seem to go together, at first glance anyway. I try to push away anything distracting while the powder and primers are out.
Old February 26, 2007, 10:21 PM   #40
IM_Lugger

No, because I don’t smoke...

btw would it OK to put out a cigarette in a pile of gunpowder?
Old February 27, 2007, 12:04 AM   #41
Guy B. Meredith

I got totally upset at what cigarettes did to my energy and life schedule somewhere around 1981 or 1982. After enough of that and dropping a couple of hot ashes in my lap in the middle of Los Angeles traffic I scrunched up the remainder of the pack and tossed them for the last time. Never looked back, can't tolerate smoke or the smell now.
However, I am glad those hot ashes dropped in my lap and not into a load of powder.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!

Last edited by Johnny Guest; February 27, 2007 at 12:41 AM. Reason: language
Old March 3, 2007, 06:51 PM   #42
garbageman

LAH, Creeker, Maybe we live close to each other, I am just about 1.5 Hours from Southern WV, Bluefield to be exact.
Old March 4, 2007, 12:53 AM   #43
mrawesome22

Why chance it? If you need a smoke, just go outside or to a different area. A smoke only takes 5 minutes then you can get back to safe reloading.

BTW, I do smoke. But would never light up around my reloading stuff. I also have 2 children in the home, so I take no chances. The old adadge, safety first.
Old March 4, 2007, 06:59 AM   #44
LAH

I'm in Beckley...........Creeker
Old March 4, 2007, 11:50 AM   #45
Ohio Rusty

Nope .... I quit smoking over 2 years ago. Best damned thing I ever did. Now I have more money for reloading supplies and toys.
Ohio Rusty
Old March 5, 2007, 06:54 PM   #46
daurizio

smoking and reloading

if you got to have that tobacco zip try a tobacco chew or skol.reloading at its safest can be dangerous without the chance of a spark getting on the powder .
Old March 11, 2007, 10:42 AM   #47
Seven High

In my area of the world, a pack of cigarettes is now $3.25. Multiply that times 365. That money will buy a lot of reloading supplies!
Old March 11, 2007, 11:52 AM   #48
WSM MAGNUM

Glad I don`t have that nasty habit. Waste of money, and everything reeks of smoke. :barf:

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old March 11, 2007, 01:06 PM   #49
LAH

Yes smoking is a bad habit. Had it myself once. Also had the chewing habit. I was a tobacco user for about 40 years. It becomes such a part of your life you can't fancy life without it. Such are habits. People say why don't you just quit? It all sounds so simple. To the people on this board who use tobacco let me say I understand your problem. I don't think you're just weak in not quitting or that you're nuts. It's a habit, it's a problem, and it may be trouble as the years go by.

Can you quit? Yes you can. Will it be easy? For 99% of you, no. How long will it take? When I laid my Mail Pouch down it took about 3 years to get the monkey off my back completely. The time has come now that I don't related chewing to anything else. I can fish, shoot, hunt, relax, and have coffee with no thought of tobacco. I owe my victory over this and other things to my God & Saviour.

So you guys who use tobacco in one form or another, there's hope. Hope to be rid of it. In the time it took me to become "one" with a sixgun the monkey was gone. That period of time for me was 'bout 3 years. It's my prayer that it will be much less for you.

To those who’ve never had the habit you may relate in a different way. To heavy? Just start eating what you need. Drinking problem? Just quit drinking. Drive to fast? Just slow down. **** problem? Just don't look. Spend to much money on guns?

Well you get my drift. Habits are just that, Habits. And as a norm they are hard to break. Well preached enough but it's my desire to encourage someone, to strengthen somebody, to shine a ray hope into your life. It can be done. God Bless...........Creeker