The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 24, 2007, 02:48 AM   #1
Red Grant

Sould one use the peephole?

.....in answering the knock on the door or door bell. (Assuming that there's no intercom or cctv.)
Old January 24, 2007, 03:04 AM   #2
dixierifleman

sure why not? unless your worried about lookin down the open end of a barrell....
Old January 24, 2007, 03:18 AM   #3
Maser

I once looked out the peephole and my friend had his face too close to it and it gave me a little scare having someone staring back at me.
Old January 24, 2007, 04:09 AM   #4
Red Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixierifleman
...unless you worried about lookin down the open end of a barrell....

Well, dixie, there's the answer.

I read that that was one of the favorite technique used by the infamous ICEMAN to kill especially paranoid marks, who KNEW they had been marked so they took extreme pre-cautions in public.

When ICEMAN couldn't get to the marks, he chose certain times of the day, (I presume, cold, windy night with rain or snow,), the ICEMAN simply knocked on the door and saw through the peephole the mark approaching the door, and when the mark tried to look through the peephole to see who was out there, the ICEMAN simply put the muzzle to the peephole and shot through the peephole. (He might have hidden the gun, maybe with suppressor in a cardboard box for better concealment and also to further reduce the sound)

According to ICEMAN, this technique worked every time just like a slick well-oiled machine.

Remember situational awareness.

You might want to holler, "Who is it?" ....safely out of the kill zone from around the corner.
Old January 24, 2007, 04:25 AM   #5
Blackwater OPS

Mine is covered up. Just FYI you can buy a small cheap device that reverses the viewhole so they can see in. Get a cheap camera/small TV for CCTV. You can do it for less than $100. Another good Idea is a steel security door.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old January 24, 2007, 04:31 AM   #6
dixierifleman

he saw them through the peephole? i thought with the exception of a few, they were one way.
Old January 24, 2007, 04:40 AM   #7
Red Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackwaterOPS
Mine is covered up.

So is mine, and yes, it's steel re-enforced with cctv and intercom.

However, when one travels, some of the accomodations may have that old-fashioned peephole, non-steel re-enforced, no intercom, and no cctv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixierifleman
he saw them through the peephole? I thought with the exception of a few, they were one way.

Yes, also he could have guessed where the vital organs of the marks were, by guessing from what height the voice was coming from, and how close the voice sounded.
Old January 24, 2007, 05:03 AM   #8
dixierifleman

how would he know when the guy was lookin through the peephole? usually people look before saying anything.
Old January 24, 2007, 06:12 AM   #9
Red Grant

1. The ICEMAN could have seen the mark approaching through the peephole.

2. The ICEMAN could have heard the sound of foot as the mark approached the door.

3. ICEMAN could have hold the muzzle (disguised by the cardboard box) to the peephole and when the mark puzzled by being unable to see through the peephole, hollered, "Who is it?", then could have determined approximate (but very accurate) locations of vitals of the mark.
Old January 24, 2007, 01:31 PM   #10
Ant1

I think it would be safe to use the peephole. Unless you are in a line of work that people would want to assasinate you. Realistically, they could just wait around the corner, you step outside to get your mail, cut the grass, wash the car, etc. and just kill you then.
Old January 24, 2007, 01:41 PM   #11
whip1

The iceman????? are you reading a comic book?
Old January 24, 2007, 02:18 PM   #12
Jason_G

Quote:
The iceman????? are you reading a comic book?
The "Iceman" is a murderer who turned professional hitman for the mob. Alot of people think he's the one that killed Jimmy Hoffa. He killed hundreds of people.

Jason
Old January 24, 2007, 04:30 PM   #13
markj

Quote:
The "Iceman" is a murderer who turned professional hitman for the mob. Alot of people think he's the one that killed Jimmy Hoffa. He killed hundreds of people.
Or.... a guy that wrote a book using a high level of imagination. Any proof he was who he said he was? And how many of you are on a hit list anyway? I see a lot of paranoia here.
Old January 24, 2007, 05:38 PM   #14
bestbod85

richard kuklinsky a.k.a the ICEMAN is currently in a maximum security prison and has been prosecuted for many previously unsolved murders. also HBO has done 3 inteviews with him.
Old January 24, 2007, 05:57 PM   #15
Trip20

For the sake of on-topic discussion, let us assume we're not "marked". If that were so, we'd be doing a lot of things differently.

Use the peephole if you like... enjoy life a little, live on the edge man!
Old January 24, 2007, 08:23 PM   #16
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Not to be a party pooper, but I have a 2x3 foot window in my front door.
Old January 24, 2007, 08:55 PM   #17
Jason_G

Quote:
I used to have one of those. My brother got ****** off at me one day (he's a hot head), and put his fist through it. Now I have a solid door with a peep hole.

Jason
Old January 25, 2007, 03:24 AM   #18
Red Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1
I think it's safe to use the peephole.

Most times. It's also safe to not to practice situational awareness, to go on "auto pilot" most times.

Quote:
Unless you are in a line of work that people want to assisnate you.
How do you know you are not in a line of work that some people want you dead?

Quote:
Realistically, they could just wait around the corner, you step outside to get mail, cut the grass, wash the car, etc, and just kill you then.
.....but wouldn't that increase the risk someone witnessing the murder and calling the cops right away.

Realistically, what's the chance of you getting to use your fancy ammo on bg in your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markj
and how many of you are in a hit list anyway?

....and how many of us either have been in a gun fight or going to be in a gun fight if ever in our lives?

So why do we even have training and tactics forum?

So why do we even bother to discuss which caliber is effective in SD scenario?

So why do we (only some, since I don't think most posters here don't even bother to read S.W.A.T. mag, they just want to post) even bother to read S.W.A.T mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markj
I see a lot of paranoia here.

Isn't that what the Brady bunch says of Second Amendmentists and CCW laws?
Old January 25, 2007, 03:27 AM   #19
chadwimc

Good God Almighty !!! You people need to move !!! Or, start taking your medication...
Old January 25, 2007, 03:59 AM   #20
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
My GOD! You are doomed. DOOMED!
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old January 25, 2007, 08:23 AM   #21
tepin

why answer the door at all? i dont unless i am expecting someone.
Old January 25, 2007, 08:50 AM   #22
Mikeyboy

I heard the Iceman would hide in your bathroom medicine cabinet, and if you looked in the mirror and said "Iceman" 3 times at midnight he would jump out an get you

What if you don't look thru the peephole and yelled "Who is It!!!", he would say, "Iceman...umm I mean Pizza guy" Now that my friends is a profession hit man
Old January 25, 2007, 09:51 AM   #23
stephen426

This thread is so retarded. As previously posted, who here is actually on someone's hit list? If someone had a professional contracted to take you out (lets say you don't know about it since they are are not exactly going to let you know first), I doubt any one of you could avoid it. Do you ever leave your house? Do you have to work or buy groceries? Do you drive a bullet proof car? A professional can disguise himself as practically anyone like a delivery driver, mail man, or UPS guy. Get real and get back on your happy pills.

My friend's uncle is in the diamond business. A robber dressed as a FedEx guy (FedEx deliveries are a normal occurance) walked in and robbed him at gun point. In another incident, he was set up with a phony appointment and followed. When he got to the parking lot he went out to check the address. My friend was in the car with the engine running. A car blocked him in and two guys walked up with guns drawn. They took over $100,000 in merchandise, but fortunatly my friend was not seriously hurt. He was stupid enough to honk the horn which ****** the robbers off enough to break the window and drag him out of the car. They also cracked him one on the head for being an idiot.

What is my point? Unless you live some crazy lifestyle where you never go out and your house is a hardened bunker, you are vulnerable to a hit. The best thing to do is stay off hit lists! Oh yeah... and use your stinking peep holes since it beats opening the door.
Old January 25, 2007, 09:53 AM   #24
Trip20

Quote:
Advice: Paint your front door black - that'll make it tactical. Also, refer to the window in your door as the "sacrificial early detection surveillance portal mounted in the primary barricaded residential checkpoint". Sounds better, and you’ll have everyone PM’ing you to find out who carries them.
Old January 25, 2007, 10:01 AM   #25
cortez kid

It's very easy to see if someone is approaching the door through the peephole. Any kind of back light will allow the outside to see a distinct image. The "Iceman" WAS a very real monster of a person. He died on Mar 5 2006.
kid
Closed Thread