The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 23, 2007, 10:05 PM   #1
rb4browns

Step By Step Gun Cleaning Tips Please!

Hi Everyone

First of all, as a new gun owner I've received a tremendous amount of great advice from the folks here, and while I have not had the opportunity to thank each and everyone who has replied to my questions, please know I appreciate it.

I've been the proud owner of a Springfield XD9 for about a month now, and I've been to the range twice a week since I bought it. I clean it every time after shooting with a kit I bought at the gun store, but I'm not sure if i am doing it right. I use a 3 in 1 cleaner to clean the parts after i break it down, and i clean the bore with a patch soaked with the cleaner, run a wire brush and then a clean patch through it. I use an old cloth t-shirt on all the outer parts and lightly oil it at the end with the 3 in 1.

So my question to you is whether I am doing it right, and is the 3 in 1 cleaner good to use? If anyone has a step by step cleaning process they can share, along with favorite products, I would be grateful. Thanks again!
Old January 23, 2007, 10:25 PM   #2
P5 Guy

Cleaning a pistol is easy and you are doing this the right way.
I like to use an old tooth brush to get the powder fouling out of the nooks and crannies so to speak. Bore cleaning for me is a few passes with a dry bore brush. Then a couple of patches soaked in Kroil, dry patches and I'm done. I like to put a dab of grease on the rails of the frame and any spots that the finish is rubbing off. Wipe down with a silicone gun cloth.
Old January 23, 2007, 10:28 PM   #3
Jason_G

I'd probably get rid of any kind of "all in one" cleaner/lube. I use "Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe Cleaner" to clean polymer framed weapons. For the bore, I like Hoppe's and other tougher solvents, just keep it away from the plastic. For lube, get some Militec. I used to use Remoil, but Militec is much better. Remoil is so light that it will evaporate in a day or two if you are not super generous with it. Militec stays put, but is not too thick. Just field strip, and go piece by piece, clean then oil. Get a nylon toothbrush and some cotton swabs if you haven't already. I clean after every shooting session. When you clean, you should always do as good a job as possible, but pay special attention to the feed ramp. I'd imagine that neglected feed ramps are one of the more common sources of FTF's. It should be nice and shiny. Get the bore shiny, too. If fouling builds up in the rifling grooves, you will be shooting a short musket instead of a pistol. Your accuracy will go to hell because you're effectively shooting a smooth bore weapon.
Best of luck.

Jason
Old January 23, 2007, 11:29 PM   #4
skeeter1

Your regimen is perfect, AFAIC. That's exactly the same way I clean all of my firearms.

The only thing I would suggest would be to drop the 3-in-1 oil and get some Breakfree CLP instead. Save the 3-in-1 for rusty bolts on your lawn mower.
Old January 24, 2007, 12:08 AM   #5
PinnedAndRecessed

I don't remember if this is my list or someone else's, but it's basically what I do.

Quote:
First step in cleaning a gun. Screw the jagged tip into the rod. Soak the appropriately sized patch in Hoppes. Run the patch down the bore, being careful not to rub the crown (muzzle) with the rod. I've seen guns ruined because people ground the muzzle crown off with the cleaning rod.

Run the soaked patch down the bore but don't pull it back through. Remove the patch at the breech and remove the rod. Let the solvent soak for a moment.

Next, take a rag about the size of a hankie. Put some Hoppes on it. Use the rag and wipe down the gun in the chamber/cylinder, muzzle crown, everyplace there's powder residue.

Next screw the appropriate bronze bristle brush on your cleaning rod. Dip that into some Hoppes. Run the brush down the barrel until it comes completely out the breech. You must allow the bristles to relax before bringing them back out the barrel. Pull the brush out.

Repeat this pushing and pulling about four or five times, all the while, being careful that you are not rubbing the muzzle crown with the rod.

Replace the jagged tip on your cleaning rod. Run two or three soaked patches down the barrel.

Now wipe the entire gun down with a clean rag.

Finally, run two or three dry patches down the barrel. Note: you will rarely be able to run a patch through and have it come out completely clean. It will usually have some black/gray/fouling on it. Don't worry about it. As long as you're not seeing chunks of anything, it's alright.

Finally, put a little gun oil on a patch and oil the barrel/chambers.

Then I just wipe the gun down with a silicon cloth and store it.
Old January 24, 2007, 12:09 AM   #6
sm

I am doing as my Mentors & Elders passed onto to me.

1. Let the folks I assist with clean my guns.

2. Visit Gunsmith friends.

Sometimes bring donuts ( not required ).
Drink Gunsmith friends coffee / Dr. Peppers and eat their junk food (highly recommended).
Now while I step out back and shoot guns they have been working on, or just some favorites I know they have and all I shoot.
I am even nice enough to shoot up ammo the customer brought in to test the gun with - or them reloads in a bucket as I would hate for the bucket to get too full.
Being the really nice guy I am - I even shoot new ammo to test out for POA/POI and The Scientific Shoot Mud/Dirt Test.

Folks learning about gun stuff , learn as they clean my guns.
I shoot and get guns dirty while my guns get cleaned.

Mentors did this - seemed to work for them - working fine for me.
Old January 24, 2007, 12:45 AM   #7
towerclimber37

OMG...thats priceless SM

this is off topic, but sheesh...next time you post something like that, warn me...I shot coke out of my nose!