The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 14, 2007, 11:36 PM   #1
burnera

kimber vs taurus? 1911 choices....

Went to a gunshow and a few gunstores today kinda window shopping.
Unfortunatly, there are no taurus PT1911's to take a look at anywhere around here, pretty much every store has a wait-list just to get one.

the toss up is between the Kimber Custom II, and the Taurus PT1911.

i really really love the trigger pull on all the kimbers i've shot so far. The extended/rounded beavertail is nice too. And well, they look beautiful.
The sights a pretty un-special to me.. works, but kinda 'meh' about em. I still like the blank style more than dot over dot though.
I really dont like the price. the ~$650 for the custom II i'm willing to spring for, and i may even consider the ~$750 for their pro carry models. Otherwise its just to rich for my blood.

can anybody give me an idea how they[taurus vs kimber] compare otherwise??
Old January 15, 2007, 01:31 AM   #2
postal1911

there is no comparison kimber is superior to any taurus
no for a cheaper 1911 taurus might be ok
but head to head againt a kimber.... no way
better pistol, better set up
Old January 15, 2007, 02:20 AM   #3
Dreadnought

there was a thread in this forum last week where somebody shot a kimber and the taurus back-to-back and I recall the taurus coming out ahead. it's a good base to start, but kimber's product ain't too shabby out of the box.
Old January 15, 2007, 06:25 AM   #4
Electronrider

You are comparing a 350 horse corvette vs a 350 horse suped up buick. Both have 350 horses, one just does it with better looks and styling.
Old January 15, 2007, 04:34 PM   #5
poortrader

If you're looking for a cheap 1911, get a Springfield Mil-Spec. I'm not knocking Kimbers because I have two of them, Warrior and Ultra Carry. To me the Taurus feels like a plastic airsoft pistol

NRA Life Member
Old January 15, 2007, 04:39 PM   #6
Rinspeed

The Taurus is getting good reviews but I would ante up the $150 for the Kimber. It's made in the USA and with good magazines should work very well for you.
Old January 15, 2007, 05:09 PM   #7
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

We can't keep the new Taurus PT1911's in stock either. The reviews on this
weapon that I'm hearing from customers is that it is one heck'eva good gun;
and the best effort from Taurus. Right now, we are selling the blued model
for $449.88; but I would expect that is 'bout to change in February '07~?
Old January 15, 2007, 05:38 PM   #8
salvadore

Gee, I bought the first plastic airsoft feeling Taurus PT 1911 I found after reading about them in the 'Rifleman'. lotsa metal checkering so i wont have to invest in skate board tape, I really like the Heinie sights, and very nice out of the box trigger, however, not very very nice that I guess the Kimber's have. Ambi safety and guide rod don't do anything for me and I will have to spring for prettier grips. It hasn't been benched but it does bounce beer cans around in a vigorous manner. $480.00 out the door. Can you really buy a Kimber for $650.00?
Old January 15, 2007, 06:34 PM   #9
liliysdad

You call those scratches on the frontstrp checkering?

You can easily buy a Kimber Custom for 650, or a Springer Loaded for roughly the same money.
Old January 15, 2007, 07:42 PM   #10
tepin

if u have the $$ go kimber. good gun!!
Old January 15, 2007, 08:46 PM   #11
Baphomet

"Quality will be remembered long after the price is forgotten."
Old January 15, 2007, 09:08 PM   #12
Ivory Grips

Hi Guys,

As I understand, the Taurus Company manufactures all the parts that goes into it's own 1911. That translates to lower production costs, not lower quality. Nothing is farmed out. All Taurus's work is all "done in house." By comparison, Kimber buys it's parts from outside sources. And so, more time has to be spent fitting the various parts to get a kimber to work. Taurus is about as close to a totally blue printed, large scale produced 1911 as you'll find. I wouldn't be too quick to snub a Taurus fellas, the darn thing works. And works well.
Old January 15, 2007, 09:09 PM   #13
BobK

The Taurus has'nt quite proven itself yet. Stick with the Kimber.
Old January 15, 2007, 09:30 PM   #14
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Our friend Ivory Grips is correct; for at one time Kimber was buying
frames from Smith & Wesson~!
Old January 15, 2007, 10:00 PM   #15
salvadore

When Springfield started selling 1911s, the guns they sold were made in Brazil. Does anyone know where they are currently made?
Old January 15, 2007, 10:25 PM   #16
liliysdad

Brazil, by Imbel.

Quote:
As I understand, the Taurus Company manufactures all the parts that goes into it's own 1911. That translates to lower production costs, not lower quality. Nothing is farmed out. All Taurus's work is all "done in house." By comparison, Kimber buys it's parts from outside sources. And so, more time has to be spent fitting the various parts to get a kimber to work. Taurus is about as close to a totally blue printed, large scale produced 1911 as you'll find. I wouldn't be too quick to snub a Taurus fellas, the darn thing works. And works well.
Im going to have to politely disagree.

The reason Taurus is building the parts in house is not to reduce costs while retaining the same quality. In my opnion, they are doing this in order to produce the absolute lowest acceptable quality part that will work. In the several that I have torn down and examined, the parts seem quite subpar. Rough machining and poor fitment abound. The finish is horrid, and weak, and the frontstrap checkering is embarrasing.

While I feel that this gun is a viable choice over the likes of the Charles Daly level of guns, they are not competitive with Springfield and Kimber, which in their own right are not high end guns.
Old January 15, 2007, 10:41 PM   #17
jr05

Still made in Brazil. Depending on the model the assembly is either totally done in Brazil, or only partially.

Low end=entirely made in Brazil
"High end"=final assembly in USA.

as far as I know at least.....
Old January 15, 2007, 10:46 PM   #18
liliysdad

Best I can tell, the lower end production Springers are machined in Brazil, but assembled here. The higher end guns are forged by Imble, but shipped to the USA for maching and assembly.
Old January 15, 2007, 11:00 PM   #19
jaysouth

If you must buy a new gun this year, Go for the Kimber. Always wait a year for a new model to shake itself out.

Having said that, the one PT 1911 that I have handled and dryfired is not a quality made gun. It has a lot of neat features but it is not in the same class as a Kimber.
Old January 15, 2007, 11:31 PM   #20
ShipWreck

The Taurus and KImber aren't in the same league, IMHO... If U can afford the Kimber, get it. If not, buy a Springfield Mil Spec...
Old January 16, 2007, 12:20 AM   #21
salvadore

Well I had to strip the taurus down to check for tool marks and poor fitment. I must have bought the only one that wasn't a lemon. I do agree with lileysdad that the checkering on the front strap probably won't draw blood. As far as the Kimber product is concerned I don't remember a negative comment and I personally lust in my heart for the ultra rcp 11. I like taurus' marketing ploy of fabricating all the parts in house so they can offer the lowest possible quality. Go take a look and then decide.
Old January 16, 2007, 01:50 AM   #22
James A. Mullins

Kimber makes all their own parts. Their forged frams are also made for Brown,some others. To spects. for each outfit they supply. Other than the finish I can't find any defferences between them. Kimber and Springfield both have A nicer finish.
James
Old January 16, 2007, 02:15 AM   #23
gunfighter48

I own both the PT1911 and a Kimber Pro Carry II. The Kimber is the better of the two, but not by much. The fit and finish on my PT1911 is very good. The only tool marks I could find were a few inside the top of the slide. Everything else was just fine. The slide is snug fitting and the finish looks good on mine. Mine doesn't rattle when you shake it, can't say the same for some of the SAs that I looked at. Their ads say they are hand fitted and they are. I could see on several parts where they had filed, polished, and fitted the parts.

The trigger pull out of the box measured 4 1/4 lbs on my RCBS trigger pull gauge. It has a slight amount of creep and a crisp break. I spent over $160 on my Kimber to get a 4 lb trigger pull, no creep, glass rod break. I shoot 4 shot 1.5 in groups with my Kimber at 35 ft. I shoot 4 shot 1.5 in groups with the PT1911.

If you have the extra money go for the Kimber (get one with the internal extractor) it is worth the extra. I just couldn't afford a new Kimber at this time so I got the PT1911. I searched out all the newsgroups that I could find with user reports on the PT1911. The reports were very very positive and I now agree with them. I believe the user reports much more than magazine articles or from people that don't own one. It's the best bang for the $. None of the local dealers could keep one in stock long enough for me to buy one. So got mine from a dealer on Gunbroker.
Old January 16, 2007, 02:27 AM   #24
Playboypenguin

My only fear with the Taurus 1911 is I am hearing alot on the gun boards about them failing and having to be replaced. My local dealer says he is seeing a good 1/3 - 1/2 of them needing repair. I get a similar story from the guys at our Sportsman's Warehouse.

Everyone knows I love Taurus and support them all the time but I am seeing some red flags on this model.
Old January 16, 2007, 02:48 AM   #25
MPanova

Very well put gunfighter48

As you can tell those that speak highly of the Taurus are those who actually own one and give great info about it and talk as if they know what the hell there talking about, on the other hand those who are brand name snobs or turn there nose up on the Taurus give hardly any info as to why or IMO don't sound as if they know what there talking about, or they complain about the cheap grips when we all now 90% of 1911 owners put custom grips on there guns eventually anyway

I for one own the PT1911 and have well over 2500 trouble free rounds down range with it. Do I own another 1911? no. have I shot a Kimber? no. So I am not about to tell you one is better then the other. I can tell you however that from doing my own research and talking with dozens of people in the industry that they all seem to say the same thing. The Taurus is the best value for the buck in the 1911 market today, period.

When I went looking for my first 1911 late last year I wanted to spend no more then $500. I quickly found out that your basic "mil spec" 1911 was going to need some work done to it for it to feel and perform WELL. I kept having people tell me instead of the Taurus why not spend the axtra 200 for (insert brand) and have a little better pistol because its "name brand" and not a "Taurus" and then they say well if your going to spend the 200 more add just another 150 and you could get (insert brand) or another 150 to that and get a really good (insert brand) and at the end you will have a pistol with all the same features and feel as the Taurus but in a (insert brand). So by adding a little more here and there for something else I ended up at damn near $1000 bucks when I only wanted to spend $500. In the end I chose the Taurus because its a great value for the money and I could not be happier with the quality and performance. Having owned many other Taurus pistols and having no problems what so ever out of any of them I for one was not worried about the quality of the PT1911.

"WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG GUN!"