The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2007, 11:29 PM   #1
john1911

First reloads

I finally got to load a few rounds of ammo tonight. I loaded 18 rounds for my .41 magnum. Now I've got a few more questions.

What do you all use to measure the powder? I got the Lee dippers and a scale. I hoped to measure the first couple then just use the dippers for the rest. Didn't work that well! The charges thrown were less than on the slide chart so I ended up weighing each charge. That was slow. I guess I'll have to get some type of measure.

When I was seating the bullet, I would get shavings (brass or copper) sometimes. Do I need to expand the case mouth more? I tried to follow the manual, it said to expand just where the bullet will start like a 1/32". Do I need more?

If it quits raining, I hope to try them out tomorrow. If they work out, I've got a 100 more cases ready to go (after I get a powder measure ).
Old January 12, 2007, 11:38 PM   #2
rwilson452

dippers and crimps

What do you all use to measure the powder? I got the Lee dippers and a scale. I hoped to measure the first couple then just use the dippers for the rest. Didn't work that well! The charges thrown were less than on the slide chart so I ended up weighing each charge. That was slow. I guess I'll have to get some type of measure.

Dipper will throw light. they do that to ensure you don't get an over charge. The sad thing about the dippers I have found is one will be too light and the next one up is too much. you can get some adjustment by the way you dip the powder. the down side of dippers is you must use it exactly the same way every time. Yes, get a powder measure

When I was seating the bullet, I would get shavings (brass or copper) sometimes. Do I need to expand the case mouth more? I tried to follow the manual, it said to expand just where the bullet will start like a 1/32". Do I need more?

More than likely your over crimping and the crimp is starting to close too soon. the real cure for this is to crimp as a separate step. Buy a Lee factory crimp die. Then set the seating die to not crimp.
Old January 13, 2007, 01:54 AM   #3
firechicken

Now you've done it! Soon you'll find yourself at the range shooting just because you don't have any empty cases. I think hand weighing each charge is probably a good thing for a beginner. Once you get a rhythm going, you can charge cases pretty quick. The shavings could be from a couple things. Not enough flare......if you can start a bullet with your fingers, that should be enough. Too much crimp......sometimes when roll crimping, you will get a bit brass off the top of the case, or like rwilson said, the crimp is starting too soon and dragging the mouth of the case on the bullet.
Old January 13, 2007, 02:59 AM   #4
JJB2

some here will scoff but i use the lee perfect powder measure and the lee safety scale to do powder work with..... they both are really accurate and affordable and easy to use..... i have dipped some loads but i like these two better..........lee make a case flareing tool to open up the cases alittle more is you need to.. they are only about $13 and might be worth trying..... i had some trouble just last week getting my cast bullets started in .38 spl cases.. i blamed it on the lee speed dies decapper expander...... i do have an old bair die set that has a more robust expander an i've used it before to open up the cases better.........
Old January 13, 2007, 03:39 AM   #5
tstone

I too just loaded my first rounds yesterday. A little "anxious" on the first shot, but they turned out great. I also use the Lee powder measure and scale. They are accurate and work well. Just be sure to run at least a hopper full of powder through the measure before you use it.

ps I think firechicken may be right, this reloading thing could be a vicious cycle!
Old January 13, 2007, 07:45 AM   #6
dssajj

I can't tell anymore wether I reload to shoot or shoot to reload
Old January 13, 2007, 12:12 PM   #7
Buckythebrewer

JJB2,I couldn't agree more.The best thing you could do is use the perfect powder measure and double check with a scale with the 1st few loads,and with the last as well.Quick, easy,,And very little out of your pocket.
If you question the accuracy of a $20 measure
I use mine for 600 yards in my ar15(better than M.O.A. accuracy) using medium extruded powder and it meters with 1/10 gr consistency,,Usually it is spot on every time when I check it with a scale..
The only exception In my experience is Using fine ball/flake powders like h335,,it leaks no matter what I do ..I only use medium extruded powders now and the PPM works AMAZING..
The other method would be modifying the dippers,Or making dippers to the volume you want.I have found dippers(even though they are below start loads most of the time) always give you a charge that will work fine in any firearm I have used them in..

GET THE PERFECT POWDER MEASURE and you will be happy.Follow directions,,maybe pick up some graphite to speed the lubing process of the measure(the gun powder will lube it after it builds up ,but it takes time).

$20 makes it one of the best deals in handloading.
Old January 13, 2007, 01:02 PM   #8
cloudcroft

john1911,

If you're handy with tools, you can make your own dippers, very precise ones to throw the exact charge you want. It's unlikely that a given set of dippers -- like the Lee set -- will thrown any charge you need. In fact, they won't do ALL charges, but LOTS of them. You'd need either an adjustable dipper (these can be home-made, too) or a dipper you make yourself for one type of powder and one "pet" charge only.

But don't be quick to short-change the dipper concept: Dippers are great for reloading the field...wind is NOT a problem as with using a scale. Also, if you throw a Classic Lee Loader kit and a dipper in your backpack -- with powder/primers/bullets of course -- you can reload your empties as they become available. Great for camping/survival, etc.

I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure Pro on my Lee Classic Turret Press for normal reloading of pistol cartridges at home -- powder measures are the way to go -- but in my BOB is a Classic Loader and dipper. For rifle cartridges, I use a stand-alone RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure, which is fine because I do batch-loading with the only rifle I reload for, the 270 Winchester.

Good luck,

-- John D.
Old January 13, 2007, 01:59 PM   #9
john1911

Got to shoot my reloads this morning! My accuracy was much better compared to factory loads. Recoil was much lighter. I did run into one problem though, the base pin on my revolver was coming out!

This has happened before when I was shooting heavy factory hunting loads. The recoil on my loads felt much lighter than the factory loads. Anybody got any ideas? I shot a couple of cylinders of factory Rem after the reloads and didn't have the problem. I'm scratching my head over this, do I need to send the revolver back to Ruger?

Last edited by john1911; January 13, 2007 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Correct format