The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 10, 2007, 05:02 PM   #1
JED1177

Sauer 38H

I have recently acquired a very late Sauer 38H, serial number 518,5XX. The pistol is still in the white and completely void of any markings except the serial number. No safety lever, only the decocking lever. Vet bringback and I'm assuming something that was leftover in the factory when we over ran it.

Problem is, the pistol funtions fine and the decocking works fine as well, however the pistol will not re-cock with the lever as it is supposed to.

Anyone explain why this is and what is needed to correct the problem. Also approximate value.

Thanks in advance
Old January 10, 2007, 07:49 PM   #2
OldShooter

Sauer 38H

JED

I don't think I can help you much, only brag. I have an earlier model with the safety and bluing in great condition and functions perfectly. Have you searched in the internet for help (Google)? Numrich and Marstar Canada have diagrams and parts list that may be of help.

From my reading, late in the war, under pressure to produce, the factory began taking shortcuts. This included leaving features off including the cock/decock lever at the very end. Eventually the GIs over-ran the factory and probably picked it clean. I think all the Sauer 38H's are bringbacks since the factory never again produced this model.

I will look around in my files and see if I can find something helpful.

In any case you have a rare and unusual pistol. I really like mine.
Old January 10, 2007, 10:21 PM   #3
JED1177

Sauer 38H

Thanks for the assistance. I have a schematic of parts, just can't see what makes the re-cocker action work. With the left grip off, the re-cocker pushes the hammer back plenty far to catch, but something just isn't latching into locked back postion. Maybe your info can answer that.

Frankly, I was looking for a nice condition, Nazi stamped version w/holster that would fit in my WWII collection. Although mine probably fits that bill, I prefer nice, pristine pieces.

Thanks for any help you can come up with, and you're right, they are great pistols!

Also, the 1983 Gun Digest has a fantastic article (more like ann in depth study) on this pistol. Extemely informative from start to finish, markings, magazines, etc.

Last edited by JED1177; January 10, 2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: additional information
Old January 11, 2007, 09:31 PM   #4
OldShooter

Sauer 38H

I couldn't sleep last night so I spent some time looking through my files and stuff but couldn't find any manual type information. I know I've seen good info somewhere, probably on the net and didn't print it. I'll poke around in the cyber world and see if I can retreive something useful. I'll come back here when I do.

In the meantime if there is anything in your collection that does not measure up I might be interested in making additons to my poor collection.

Regards.
Old January 20, 2007, 08:40 PM   #5
OldShooter

Sauer 38H

Jed

I haven't come across any more information. Do you think a photo or two of the internals of mine would be enlightening? I could maybe do that tomorrow.
Old January 21, 2007, 06:11 PM   #6
JED1177

Might Help!

I just can't see what this thing is NOT doing right to recock the hammer. Maybe too much of the mechanism is enclosed for me to visually see the problem.

One article I read advised not to completely disassemble the gun, too difficult. I may have to end up doing just that (sigh) and examining every part against a schematic for a clue.

Talked to a German collector at a show and he advised that some of the late war guns did not have the recock feature!!! Not sure if the info was valid or not.
Old January 22, 2007, 08:38 PM   #7
OldShooter

Sauer 38H

Jed

The line from the German collector; I was thinking the same thing. In the later days of the war, when the factory was cutting corners to get production out the door they very well may have left off that feature.

I took my grips off mine and could not see very much that could be of help. I may know someone "who knows something." I will ask.

You just may have a fine example of a pistol with limited features. That doesn't make it any less collectable.
Old January 23, 2007, 07:11 PM   #8
OldShooter

Sauer 38H

JED

I contacted an acquantance in Germany who has some information on Sauers. He will be emailing me some pages from a book. I will pass them on when they come in.
Old January 24, 2007, 12:38 AM   #9
JED1177

Thanks Oldshooter!

I greatly appreciated the time and effort you are taking with this research. I've seen one other example since last posting in the very high 499,000 serial range that also does not re-cock, only de-cocks. It's finish still has blue remaining and no safety lever.

I'm not sure how much info is out there on these other than the general stuff, but it would certainly be interesting to know if they did indeed drop that feature toward the end of final production.

I'm going to try to add a photo with this post. Never done that here before.
Look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sauer 1.jpg (226.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg sauer 2.jpg (219.1 KB, 61 views)
Old January 24, 2007, 08:54 PM   #10
OldShooter

Sauer 38H

Here's mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1200152.JPG (74.5 KB, 59 views)
Old January 31, 2007, 03:55 AM   #11
BluesBear

Location: Mill Creek, Washington (The Great Pacific NorthWet)
If the 38H doesn't decock as well as cock then something is wrong with it.

I have seen a couple in this condition. There is usually a small chip broken from the camming faces. The lever pulls so far in order to cock the hammer and then has to pull it a little farther in order to decock it. The missing chip prevents it from moving the hammer that extra little bit.

The "Fashion Calibers" seem to come and go but when all is said and done everybody comes back to the forty-five.
(Chris Curino - Kimber Mfg. Co.)

Old January 25, 2012, 08:51 PM   #12
hazedav

JED1177,

I have the same issue with a 512xxx 38H. Did you ever find out what this was?

hazedav