The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2007, 11:15 PM   #1
eldon519

Casting bullets and savings

I'm curious about getting into bullet casting mainly for potential money savings. I was wondering if an experienced bullet caster out there could give me some idea of how much, say, 1000 lubed .45 bullets of the 230gr flavor would cost if cast from wheel weights?

I already shoot alot of purchased cast lead bullets, I'm just curious what kind of savings can be had making my own.
Old January 3, 2007, 12:16 AM   #2
Cloudpeak

Once you have the gear: molds, sizer, pot, heat source, etc. it doesn't cost anything but fuel (or electricity). I get wheel weights free and my time is free if I'm not on the job. Plus, I enjoy playing with fire and molten metal.

I cast 1,500 45s this afternoon and half of them sized and "tumble lubed" usinig Lee Liquid Alox. I'm using one of Lee's 6 cavity molds and have had good luck with both them and the Alox. I like the push through sizing die, as well. The Lee stuff is pretty good "bang for the buck".

I haven't figured what it costs me to load 45s but I loaded several thousand 40 S&W and had about $1.45 per 50 (figuring the brass is free. I generally buy WWB and reload the brass.) With the 45, I've picked up a lot of range brass and bought once fired brass at about $.045 each.

If your time is worth anything, it probably makes sense to buy your bullets. But, I'm semi-retired and this is an extension of my hobby anyway and I enjoy it.

Cloudpeak
Old January 3, 2007, 09:07 PM   #3
jsflagstad

I have been casting for a year now. I cast for my 9mm, 40 S&W, 38 Special, 357 mag, 50 cal Muzzle Loader and 12 ga slugs.

It saves a lot of money plus it is kind of fun and satisfying to shoot the bullets that "you made".

I also use the Lee products, the tumble lube technology is great and works well.

JSF
Old January 3, 2007, 09:32 PM   #4
eldon519

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm definitely gonna look into it once I move to my new place. I most interested just cause I like to shoot heavy bullets in alot of my guns and casting seems to be a good way to accomplish that at a fair price.
Old January 3, 2007, 10:38 PM   #5
jsflagstad

Just make sure that you follow all of teh cautions and cast in a well ventilated area.

Have Fun,

JSF