The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Based on the "Had to draw" thread, what would be your first choice?
Arm yourself, stay inside, call the law... 63 87.50%
Arm yourself, run outside, take your chances.... 9 12.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 2, 2007, 07:56 PM   #1
bennnn

Had to Draw...(This poll),,, Vote now or forever hold your (piece)...

That "Had to draw" thread is out of control....

Let's just get down to the facts.... Regardless of which state you live in, we're talking about the defense of your family....

I'll cast the first vote for "Arm yourself, stay inside, call the law..."

Not out of weakness or fear, but because my first job is to protect my family...
Old January 2, 2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Wildalaska

You know how I voted

WildtherightchoiceAlaska
Old January 2, 2007, 08:24 PM   #3
wayneinFL

Another vote for #1 here.
Old January 2, 2007, 08:33 PM   #4
DonR101395

As much as it may surprise WA in light of the other thread. I voted choice one. No need to go looking for trouble. If it's truly trouble it will find you.
Old January 2, 2007, 09:50 PM   #5
63Belair

+1 for option 1. There are too many "what if" situations involved with going outside.
Old January 2, 2007, 09:51 PM   #6
Haterade

I voted #1. You lose a bit of your advantage as well as a bit of your defense by opening your door and talking to him.

Either way, I think your situation would be defensible if you shot in self defense. #1 is safer for you though. IMO.
Old January 2, 2007, 10:26 PM   #7
Ct.

I would go outside. It's my job to protect my property no one elses. I'd take a pistol to see what was up keep it hidden until it was needed if needed. People inside WON'T stop people from stealing your stuff even if you yell at them "Im calling the cops" but you walk outside and most will run.
Old January 2, 2007, 10:32 PM   #8
xnavy

I would go outside. It's my job to protect my property no one elses. I'd take a pistol to see what was up keep it hidden until it was needed if needed. People inside WON'T stop people from stealing your stuff even if you yell at them "Im calling the cops" but you walk outside and most will run.

Except that time when you walk outside and you run into someone who is not one of the "most will run" category.
Old January 2, 2007, 10:32 PM   #9
dixierifleman

there are just as many if not more "what-ifs" about stayin inside. my girl knows how to use firearms, i would have her call the police, arm herself, and take cover inside while i go outside.

this poll is obviously biased, just look at how you worded the choices.

ill gladly make up half of the percentage for those that will defend themselves. glad none of you are gonna be by my side fightin for this country.

Last edited by dixierifleman; January 2, 2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old January 2, 2007, 10:39 PM   #10
dixierifleman

Wildtherightchoicealaska

who determines whats right and wrong? if your a coward or simply dont care what may happn to others, yours is the right choice by far.
Old January 2, 2007, 10:47 PM   #11
Ct.

Quote:
Except that time when you walk outside and you run into someone who is not one of the "most will run" category.
Thats what the pistol is for you see most pistols will use the force of explosive to fire a metal projectile down a barrel and when you point the barrel at some one and fire the metal bullet at them and when the bullet hits them it hurts and if one shot isnt enough to deter them then the 8-20+ rounds in the magazine will if not it will most likely kill them unless you miss.
Old January 2, 2007, 10:59 PM   #12
DonR101395

Quote:
there are just as many if not more "what-ifs" about stayin inside. my girl knows how to use firearms, i would have her call the police, arm herself, and take cover inside while i go outside.

this poll is obviously biased, just look at how you worded the choices.

ill gladly make up half of the percentage for those that will defend themselves. glad none of you are fightin for this country.

Dixie,
I'm one of those that are "fightin" for this country. I've got plenty of training and experience to go to the fight. I also know that the responding cops as would rather not run into me coming around the corner of my house with a gun in my hand. I'd just as soon not come around the corner of my house with a gun when I know the cops are showing up. I'd also prefer not to be on the front page and discussed in TFL as that guy who got shot by the cops because he was outside clearing his lawn of invaders who were trying to steal his garden hoses when the cops he called showed up and mistakenly shot him.
My wife is former LEO and can handle herself also, but she always hated to show up and have to deal with an armed guy in the front yard. They always seemed to get angry when they were put on the ground, handcuffed, positive ID made, then she could get on with the reason she was called. They never could grasp the idea that you called her because you felt a danger, she has no idea if you're the owner or the guy that just shot the owner. If you want to clear your lawn yourself, do it, but don't call the cops until you're done.

Last edited by DonR101395; January 2, 2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old January 2, 2007, 11:16 PM   #13
dixierifleman

yes it matters. im not tryin to disrespect you so dont get me wrong, but i was guessin it was the Air Force.

if anyone that has fought battle from the frontlines on the ground has any input, id like to hear it.
Old January 2, 2007, 11:24 PM   #14
wayneinFL

Dixie, go ahead and defend your property however you like. If you defend a simple trespass with a firearm, and the state decides to prosecute, they have a good case against you.

You can go to prison on principle if you like.

I will act within the confines of the law.
Old January 2, 2007, 11:26 PM   #15
DonR101395

I guess we can agree to disagree.
Old January 2, 2007, 11:28 PM   #16
dixierifleman

ill agree to disagree.

ill edit my post.
Old January 2, 2007, 11:33 PM   #17
DonR101395

same here
Old January 3, 2007, 01:32 AM   #18
Topthis

Hmmm...didn't we just kind of do this about a million times?? I voted for #1. No, I am not a coward...just smart. Do I want to Kill someone? NO! Do I want to be Killed? NO! Do I want to protect me and my family? YES. So, I hear some noise perhaps a gunshot from outside...am I supposed to grab my gun and run outside to see if there is a BG that I get to kill?? What about my family inside my home, who's gonna protect them if I get taken down by the UNKNOWN outside? What happens if there are multiple attackers with guns or without and I am overpowered, now...I just gave them a gun and left my family alone and somewhat helpless, what if my wife or girlfriend has a gun inside..so what, she is still outnumbered by some really ****** off BG's. It's my opinion that running into an uncertain situation with a number of unknown variables is just about the dumbest thing a person can do in a tactical situation, waiting and gaining information and intelligence regarding what is going on is, in my opinion...smart. I have had a number of students (I taught Martial Arts) that are now in the Military, one is a SEAL (I have not heard or seen from in many a year), those that have seen war are not crazy about it because the enemy SHOOTS back, those that have taken lives are not to esctatic about it because they have lost friends as well...but I will tell you one thing, crazy and reckless they are NOT! Put in this situation, I would bet the house that they would arm themselves and wait to see what the stituation is...not run outside to find the BG's and "get sum". My father was in the Korean War, had one occasion hand-to-hand against a Chinese Wave and spent a brief time as a POW, he has had his fair share of "killing" and to this day does not like to talk about it. There is nothing glorified in "killing", even in a war! He owned an 870 and a 1911 that he kept loaded, we went over what to do if there was a break in and never was there mentioned my father leaving the family to go and investigate on his own...call the police, arm and gather us in the bedroom that was farthest from the noise...pretty smart and prudent if you ask me.
Old January 3, 2007, 01:37 AM   #19
Topthis

Sorry if my post sounds like I am attacking...I am not. Take it as my opinion.
Old January 3, 2007, 01:50 AM   #20
spacemanspiff

Quote:
ill gladly make up half of the percentage for those that will defend themselves. glad none of you are gonna be by my side fightin for this country
that, plus the comment about "I'll be in Iraq getting paid to kill..." reveal a lot about the state of mind.

If its fair game for me to be called a coward and insulted as not being worthy to fight for this country, then its also fair game for the other party to be called 'Rambo'.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. The use of deadly force is not something to be treated lightly, with the attitude of 'in my state i can shoot whomever i want as long as i can say convincingly 'i was in fear for my life''.
Old January 3, 2007, 06:58 AM   #21
Daves-got-guns

alrite i have a "what if sitiation", this happened a few years ago, shortly before i turned 18. So theres this girl that lives down the street, and her mom doesnt bring home the "cream of the crop" when it comes to b/fs. This guy didnt do anything but sleep on the couch, and one day they break it off and he rips them off big, he even ripped off the girls 13 yo sisters coin collection, and they thought theyd never see him again. Well one night the 3 sisters are home alone and they hear something banging around outside, and saw it was lets call him "kenny" and he was trying to break into the house. Girl calls my cousons cell phone because she knew my couson was staying at my house that night, but did not get thru, and luckily kenny was drunk or just stoned and decided to go away, later to be beaten merciless in a church parking lot not 2 blocks from my house, had things turned out differently how do YOU think i should have responded, if i would have gotten the call? btw i feel bad about this cause they were 3 teenage girls, each not weighing more then 115 pounds and well who knows what he would have done, also down the street is semi-rural witch is odd because my house is in a regualr cultisac. Now my shotgun is loaded with 00 buck, girl also has my new cellphone number.
Old January 3, 2007, 11:04 AM   #22

Quote:
how do YOU think i should have responded,
Now my shotgun is loaded with 00 buck, girl also has my new cellphone number.
Teach her the number to 911.
Old January 3, 2007, 12:44 PM   #23
Daves-got-guns

well i think she might know that one.... but how fast do cops usually respond? and what if this guy was serious about getting into that house when they were sleeping? im not worried about this guy anymore cause some guy put him in the hospital quite some time ago, but well her mother does this b/s with losers time and time again. Im alittle bit closer then any cop car will probably be and while its not MY property, or MY life it is a friend of mine and its not like im sitting in the bushes waiting for another douschebag to come by, i'd just like some input.

Also if i ever got the "call" from her, i would haul ass down there in my truck, with my shotgun ready to go, and use it as a deterrent primarily, and a boomstick if he came at me or showed some sort of hostile intent. I know alot of guys will moan, groan and talk about legal consequences and say oh your just itchin to kill somebody, but if a guy comes at me when i have a gun i am going to do my damndest to not let him get the upper hand. Don't mean to play keyboard rambo, but i figure you got to intervine somehow right?
Old January 3, 2007, 01:09 PM   #24
Wildalaska

Quote:
but i figure you got to intervine somehow right?
No you dont.

Its the cops job to intervene, its your to defend.

WildonandonAlaska
Old January 3, 2007, 01:18 PM   #25
spacemanspiff

I think what some people are forgetting is that the main duty of the armed citizen is to strive NOT to use deadly force.

Can anyone give a definition of 'de-escalation' for the rest of the class?
Closed Thread