The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 9, 2007, 08:27 AM   #1
nass

Scope choice for Browning BAR in 7mm MAG??

I think I have found a good match for a new to me Browning BAR 7mm MAG rifle. The scope I am looking at is a Nikon Monarch in 4x12x40 AO with the BDC recticle.

Do you all think this is a wise choice, or too much? I was thinking of a 3x9x40 but it did not have the BDC recticle that I am thinking would be nice.

The main purpose for this rifle is deer at close range where the BDC is not necessary, and ELK at ranges that may need to have the holdover marks for ease of shot placement.

Last question... The scope is a Matte finish. I know this is a cosmetic thing, but does that seem right on a nice polished blue reciever?

TIA, Matt.
Old January 9, 2007, 09:53 AM   #2
BUSTER51

That is a good choice,I would prefer high luster on a high polished rifle like the Browning. B4 you buy the Nikon take a look at the Ziess Conquest 3-9x40 at the price ($369.99) it has no compitition,shott glass,eched rectile,lifetime warentee,4 inches of constant eye releif. thay long eye releif will come in handy with a magnum.3-9x40 is big enough for deer or elk . as far as hold over you should not need to worry about it just sight it in for 200 yards and you should be fine at 300 or 100 .if you want to attempt a 400 yard shot just lay the crosshairs on his back and the 8 or 9 inch drop will put you where you want to be .
Old January 9, 2007, 10:00 AM   #3
SD_Chop

the 4x12x40 is a good choice. I use the same power on my 7mag and have dropped deer under 50yrds and it gives you the choice of really using the ballistics of the 7mag when you do have to take a longer shot
Old January 9, 2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Fremmer

Quote:
The scope is a Matte finish. I know this is a cosmetic thing, but does that seem right on a nice polished blue reciever?
The matte finish of the scope will provide a nice contrast and will look good with the polished blue receiver.
Old January 9, 2007, 03:59 PM   #5
nass

pic request

Thanks guys! The reason I ask about that specific model is I found a amokin deal on it for 279! just wanted to make sure it was the right one....

Now, can anyone point to specific examples of the contrast look?? There are not many choices out there for the lustre finish. I'd like to see it to seal the deal.

TIA, Matt.