The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2006, 07:25 PM   #1
dirty habit

22k hornet

Hey Guys, just after a coupla opinions on wether this conversion is worthwhile? From what i can gather, you get 2/300 fps increase but more importantly you also get increased case life, is this true?
Re; fireforming cases to k hornet, how is this done and what is required for this dies wise?
Cheers in advance!
Old December 31, 2006, 07:31 PM   #2
sdb777

Fireforming is simple...just shoot factory loads in your k barrel.
As for those dies....just about everyone is making them.

Scott B

George Burns
Old December 31, 2006, 08:44 PM   #3
Crosshair

Generaly, when fireforming cases, to get the best brass life, a good rule of thumb is to use a faster powder behind a lightweight bullet. Most people seem to have the best luck with a ~90% of maximum charge and that number is often recomended in books for fireforming. As always, your mileage may differ.
Old December 31, 2006, 09:02 PM   #4
dirty habit

Would i be able to load these once fired cases in the k hornet dies to initially fireform? Not sure how it works with the seating die? It can get a little confusing if you let it!!
Old December 31, 2006, 10:18 PM   #5
Dave R

You can't make K-Hornet brass by running it through the die. Dies only reduce size, and the K-Hornet expands the case a little by moving the neck forward, and giving it a sharper shoulder.

But you don't need to run the brass through the die, first time. Just shoot Hornet brass (or factory Hornet loads) in a K-Hornet rifle, and the brass will form to the chamber.

Then you use the dies to reload the empty, formed brass. Simple.

ETA: I have a buddy with a K-Hornet, and he loves it. Says it delivers on the better velocity, longer case life, and more accuracy.