The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 30, 2006, 11:44 AM   #1
fairview mick

Hand gun shipping to another country

Is anyone familiar with the rules and regulations about shipping a handgun from the states to Canada?. Do you ship to an FFL? Is it even legal? I thought it was nearly impossible to own a handgun in Canada. A person in Ontario answered my ad that was in the "For Sale" section of this forum. Thanks.
Mickey
Old December 30, 2006, 03:28 PM   #2
whitebb

Most likely not legit, or so many hurtles to overcome it won't be worthwhile. Sell it in the US. Handguns are available to a few with proper licenses, but guns are very cheap in Canada. When I lived there US guns were expensive, but euro guns were dirt cheap! (ie. New SIG at $350-400)
Old December 30, 2006, 03:51 PM   #3
IM_Lugger

It’s not that easily… you can’t just mail it!

IIRC you need to get an export permit and in order to do that you would need the Canadian buyer to get an import permit. than you would either have to meat at the border or ship it by a special currier.

EDIT check this link for more info http://www.questar.ca/imports.htm

Quote:
Handguns are available to a few with proper licenses, but guns are very cheap in Canada. When I lived there US guns were expensive, but euro guns were dirt cheap! (ie. New SIG at $350-400)
that's not quite true; it's also that that dificulat to get a license in Canada. but handguns with a barrel length of 105mm (4.13in) and under are illigal. BTW (some) guns are about 2X the price of what they cost in the US (for $350-400 you can only get a Norinco Sig copy)...
Old December 30, 2006, 04:52 PM   #4
James K
Staff

It is not impossible, but the hassle and paperwork make it impractical. If I were to advertise a gun for sale, I would clearly state no foreign sales, and shipment to FFL only.

Jim
Old December 30, 2006, 06:33 PM   #5
X-RAY

Awhile ago I tried to return a Para-Ordance to the factory in Canada for warrante repair. Short version - forget it. It would have taken at least 6 MONTHS - one way- to clear customs. The factory has U.S. based repair shops just because of this.

Last edited by X-RAY; December 30, 2006 at 06:34 PM. Reason: lousy spelling
Old December 30, 2006, 11:05 PM   #6
skeeter1

Mickey--

Since you and I are in the same general area, call Mike at

http://www.mdshootingsupply.com/contact.htm

He's an honest guy, and he can give you a straight answer.

--skeeter1
Old December 31, 2006, 10:49 AM   #7
fairview mick

Exporting a handgun

Thanks for all the advice. I do believe that I'll pass on the Canadian sale.
Mickey
Old December 31, 2006, 02:50 PM   #8
hksigwalther

Is MD still in business? I've tried a couple times looking for the store without any success. The small store that was there a couple years ago has since been torn down and built over.
Old December 31, 2006, 06:17 PM   #9
fairview mick

to sigwalther

The only store I know in that area is B&T which according to addresses is very close to where MD must be.
Mickey
Old January 1, 2007, 12:55 AM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...but guns are very cheap in Canada..." Where? Firearms in Canada are now and always have been more expensive than in the U.S. Mind you, we can get some firearms U.S. shooters cannot(Norinco M305's) and some milsurps, M-1's for example, are less expensive here. Firearms are NOT 'very cheap' though. A used Win 70 in .300 mag runs $725Cdn. A used Colt Gold Cup, $979Cdn.
"...the rules and regulations about shipping a handgun from the states to Canada..." You need a U.S. Dept of State export permit that requires a Canadian import permit to get(the buyer arranges the import permit and sends it to you), then you apply for the export permit and wait(several months in most cases), find a shipper who will ship a handgun to Canada Customs(there is no such thing as an FFL here). The buyer deals with Canadian registration, pays the duty and taxes, gets/has the Canadian permits to own and transport it from Customs to his home. You get to deal with U.S. laws. Very generally speaking, you getting the export permit is more fuss than the buyer dealing with our side of the border.
If he doesn't have the assorted Canadian permits, he'll have to get them first. If the handgun is illegal here or he doesn't have the proper permit(for example if it's a 4" barreled handgun, he needs a permit for that class of handgun), he's SOL.
Some Canadian guys think they can buy from the U.S. without dealing with our laws. Or your's for that matter. Some don't understand that they'll have to pay the exchange rate, duty and taxes plus shipping. They see a firearm advertised at, for Canada, is a cheap price with no thought about getting it here.
Old January 1, 2007, 01:03 AM   #11
hksigwalther

Yeah B&T is my regular shop close to home. My other one is Great Lakes in Middlefield. Also use LEOSS a couple of times for transfers but MD would be closer. (Got straightened out by skeeter about MD via PM.)