The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 26, 2006, 11:16 PM   #1
Billmanweh

Gun Safe question

I went to Sam's this afternoon to check out their Winchester safe (safe at Sam's) and wasn't too impressed.

I also checked out Bass Pro and Cabela's and they had similar safes for about the same price.

I guess I just have in mind something a little nicer. So, what should I be looking for if I spend a little more money? Let's say $1500-2500?
Old December 27, 2006, 03:18 PM   #2
UniversalFrost

I am looking at a Browning Safe from Midway that has a great fire rating and is at $2030. A little more than you are looking to spend, but a great value depending on the price of some of your guns.

They have cheaper safes with half the fire rating that are made by Sentry or Sentry for Browning that are still a great value. Otherwise, the winchester safe looks good for the price.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old December 27, 2006, 04:41 PM   #3
shaggy

Amsec BF series.
Old December 29, 2006, 12:24 PM   #4
straightShot

What didn't you like about the Sam's Club Winchester (made by Granite Safe in TX). Are you looking for a larger safe?

www.straightShotShooting.com
Old December 29, 2006, 04:20 PM   #5
Nortonics

Cannon Traditional series for the home. 800 lbs. of black lacquer, custom interior and fire protected beauty:

http://www.cannonsafe.com/safestraditionalseries/

Go for the electronic keypad and leave the traditional dial behind. They're in your price range. If I had it to do again, I'd get the exact same one (T27) or larger:

Be sure and compare their warranty to other manufacturers - you may be surprised...
Old December 29, 2006, 05:06 PM   #6
Gbro

Whatever it is get it big enough. If they say 24 guns, they are absolutly right as long as they are rem. nylon .22 autos.

Electronic keypad is wonderful, as long as they work. Mine was faulty
Good luck
Gbro
Old December 29, 2006, 05:25 PM   #7
UniversalFrost

+1 about the gun count. The advertised and realistic count are totally different. On average if they advertise a 24 gun it is really a 16 gun and if you have any overly large guns (i.e. big scopes, bipod, etc...) the number goes down even lower to possible half the size. Plus, you always need to factor in the expansion of your collection and possibly storing other items like jewelry, important documents, etc... to the inside space. It really helps to go a little larger than your present needs in order to ensure ample expansion in the future.

I really am interested in that cannon, it has almost identical specs to the browning I am currently looking at. I wonder what the price is?

Old December 29, 2006, 07:22 PM   #8
Nortonics

Quote:
I really am interested in that cannon, it has almost identical specs to the browning I am currently looking at. I wonder what the price is?
Try the "Find a Dealer" thingy on their web site and give a couple places a call - I see Cabela's listed for one, and I know Gander Mountain was carrying them back then. I can tell you that I got mine from my local gun club which features and sells the Cannon line. Got mine slightly less than most as I recall, but can't remember the exact price - was somewhere between $1500 & $2000 I believe.
Old December 29, 2006, 10:29 PM   #9
a1abdj

Quote:
Amsec BF series.
From a professional safe guy......

The above safe is one of the most secure gun safes on the market today in its price range. Liberty, Browning, Cannon and many others don't come close. Fort Knox comes close on some of their models, but at a much higher price tag.

If you haven't looked at them yet, do yourself a favor and do so.
Old December 29, 2006, 11:11 PM   #10
Billmanweh

Quote:
What didn't you like about the Sam's Club Winchester (made by Granite Safe in TX). Are you looking for a larger safe?
It just had a cheap look and feel to it. Maybe because it was the display model, but it was just falling apart.
Old December 29, 2006, 11:13 PM   #11
Billmanweh

I'll see if I can find a local Amsec dealer and check them out
Old December 29, 2006, 11:30 PM   #12
UniversalFrost

looking at those fire ratings I am interested myself. Plus the price is a lot cheaper than the browning.

Old December 30, 2006, 05:12 AM   #13
Nortonics

Hey, I just remembered this recent & excellent article over on 6mmbr.com that's fitting to the subject - check it out:

Gun Safe Buyers' Guide - What to Look for When Buying a Safe
Old December 30, 2006, 09:01 AM   #14
RevoRick

Thanks, Excellent article. One might also check out the Zykan safe Sales.

http://www.zykansafe.com/index.html

The owner has many posts on this forum and THR. He is the most knowledgable safe expert I have read. I would have purchased my safe from him (he gives discounts to forum members) and has excellent safes. As timing would have it I found a Browning safe on sale for a buy me NOW price at my local gun store.
DW 10mm CBOB, 10mm Experimental, .45 Pointman GD, .45 Patriot CCO. DW 744 VH .44 6", 715 VH .357 4". Fusion 10mm Longslide XM-10 Tactical Hunter. Glock 19c, Browning Buckmark, S&W 686 .357 4", 629 .44mag 8 3/8". Uberti Cattleman .45LC.
http://www.1911auto.org/forum/index.php?referrerid=24
Old January 1, 2007, 01:46 AM   #15
skeeter1

Quote:
Whatever it is get it big enough. If they say 24 guns, they are absolutly right as long as they are rem. nylon .22 autos.
Yeah, they fill up quickly. I've got a 8-gun safe (biggest one that I could get into an upstairs bedroom) with 6 longguns in it and several handguns on the shelf. I suppose I can get another couple of firearms in it, but it will have to do for now. Anything bigger, and I would have had to put it out in the garage, and I really didn't want to do that.

If I need more room, I think I'll get a second small safe, another Stack-On. Certainly far from the best, but better than nothing.
Old January 1, 2007, 09:48 AM   #16
M14fan

Pentagon?

Anybody use Pentagon Safes? They list a model called the General that can supposedly hold up to 100 long arms. Here is a 70gun safe.
http://www.pentagonsafes.com/heavy_duty_safes.html