The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 26, 2006, 09:45 PM   #1
sophijo

.30-06 drop

All things being equal; is there a rule of thumb for how much a bullet drops at 100 yds; 150 gr bullet vs 180 gr vs 200 gr ?
Thanks
Dave
Old December 26, 2006, 11:32 PM   #2
chemist308

I don't think you're looking at drop inside of 100 yards. Where is your zero?
Old December 27, 2006, 03:10 AM   #3
RoscoeC

Take a look at this.

Federal Ballistics

This will give you specific balistics for Federals commercial loads. If you are zeroed in at 200 yards, for example the Federal 30-06 loaded with a 150 grain Nosler Balistic Tip will drop 7.2" at 300 yards, 21.1" a 400 yards. It will be 1.6" high at 100 yards.

It is a mathematical function of velocity, bullet weight and distance. Anyway, play around with the charts on the Federal site and you will get a good picture pretty quickly.

There are a lot of other sites, just google up ballistics.
NRA Life Member
Old December 27, 2006, 09:32 AM   #4
sophijo

zero; Rosco, Chemist

Rosco,
I haven't zero'd it yet; and being a novice, trying to figure it out for my particular environment. I was thinking if I zero'd at 100yds and new what trajectory looked like at 200 etc, I'd be in good shape. I'd don't know if its flat for 200yds and drops, or even ...I guess its possible that it might initially "climb".
I'm going to check out Chemist's suggestion; the Federal site.
BTW. My first rifle, a long time ago, was a single shot .22. We shot shorts through it and it actually, at 25 yds, shot left to right about 6"! I often wonder if a guy could shoot himself in the back of the head! After thousands of rounds through that rifle I got to be something of a "trick" shot artist!
Thanks
Old December 27, 2006, 12:50 PM   #5
hossdaniels

I believe that most rifle rounds are actually rising untill they hit 140-150 yds, including the 30-06. I dont think you would notice much difference with the different bullet weights untill you pass 300yds and then it wouldn't be a big difference.
Old December 27, 2006, 01:36 PM   #6
tINY

This is something that you do well to understand.

There are various things that effect the POI, and a lot of them aren't really intuitve for short shots. Get a good table or a free program and look at what happens from 25 to 500 yards when you zero dead on at 100 yards, 1" high at 100yd and 2" high at 100yd...

You should also change the sight height from 1.5" to 4" and see how it effects the trajectory. Hass must have his scope mounted really high or use a 300 yard zero.

-tINY

Old December 27, 2006, 04:15 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

No, there's no truly accurate rule of thumb, at least for a general "bullet."

A lot is going to depend on bullet shape and velocity.

Try bore sighting it at 25 or 50 yards and go from there.

If you can get on the paper at one of those ranges, generally you'll still be on a 12" by 12" target at 100 yards.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 27, 2006, 05:02 PM   #8
Jimro

Ok, ballistics is divided into two categories; internal and external.

Internal encompasses everything that happens before the bullet leaves the crown, external encompasses everything after.

There is absolutely no way for us to know what a round will be doing out of your rifle unless we know the actual load, the distance between line of sight (either through a scope or the height of the iron sights) and bore, as well as environmental conditions and even then it would only be a very well educated guess.

There are two useable zeros, a distance zero that you dial in for exact distance. Think benchrest, F-class, varminters who use a dialed in distance zero.

The other zero is for unkown distance, a "pipe zero" or "battlesight zero" where the bullet will fall within a certain circle out to a certain distance.

In the Army we use a 300 meter "battlesight zero" that actually give us "pipe zero" out to about 340 meters on an E-type silhouette. This means that the actual zero (where the round passes line of sight) of the round is 34 meters (ascending) and 300 meters (descending).

For a good primer on how to set up a useable "pipe zero" (more politically correct than battlesight zero for the civilians), go here http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/s...1726-1,00.html

But no matter your load, I would zero at least 3.5 inches high at 100. That should give you a zero that will hit inside the boilermaker of a deer out to 300. For comparing ballistics between bullet weights, I like to use Remingtons ballistics comparitor.

Jimro
Old December 28, 2006, 07:01 AM   #9
Picher

Try this URL for trajectory of Remington ammo. It will be close to comparable bullet weights by other makers.

http://www.remington.com/products/am...on/ballistics/

Picher
Old December 28, 2006, 10:45 AM   #10
sophijo

article & chart

Thanks; great Outdoor life article; and Remington site looks like a good resource...BTW what do you think of those TOPO maps they offer?
Dave
Old December 28, 2006, 12:37 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

My '06 has a 26" barrel. I'm getting right around 3,000 ft/sec at the muzzle with 150-grain bullets.

What I've found from the 100-yard bench and the 500-yard table is that if I zero at 200 yards, I'm about two inches high at 100. I'm estimating around six inches low at 300 and just under two feet low at 400, from the Sierra book's tables. I'm four feet low at 500, by test.

What I've also found by test at 500 yards is that there isn't enough difference to matter for boat-tailed bullets of 150, 165 and 180 grains at these scope settings and shooting distances. The group centers well be within a couple of inches of one another.

Art