The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 2006, 09:47 PM   #1
22-250boy

Avability of 12 gauge lever action shotgun

My grandpa told me a while back that his brother had a 12 gauge lever action shotgun. Im gonna ask him if i could have it or buy it off of him. Im pretty sure its a lever action and he told me its a 12 gauge. I was wondering what do these usually go for and are they hard to get a hold of. I would realy like to have this shotgun but im not sure if he wants to give it away or not.
Old December 26, 2006, 06:36 PM   #2
BigJimP

You need to find out the manufactuer, barrel length, gague - and more about it before any of us can really help you.

It could be worth anything from $ 50 to $ 2,500 depending on what it is, who made it, etc.

If it's an old Winchester - some of them were "black powder only" - and some of the newer ones in the early 1900's were for smokeless powder - but I have not seen too many of them around. I think many of them were made in 10ga. It may be a nice gun to keep in the family. Make sure you take it to a good gunsmith to have it checked before you ever consider firing it ( a "qualified" gunsmith .... not the resident meathead, just in case it's a black powder gun ....)
Old January 4, 2007, 11:56 PM   #3
SRG

It is a Winchester Model 1887. Have it checked by a gunsmith as previously advised. I would not be afraid to use reduced power loads in it after its checkup. Also, there is a Chinese company making reproductions of the '87 and I believe it is Norinco. As far as the cowboy shooters go, these guns are not very competitive but you're sure to get style points for an '87.