The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 13, 2006, 12:06 AM   #1
rugerdude

Saiga .308 vs. Romak-3/PSL/FPK

Like the title says, which one is better......okay, i'll give you a little criteria.

Cost: I have it figured to cost about the same with scopes, and the saiga having a wood stock.

Accuraccy: This is the main point, I want a distance rifle 600-700 yards max. minute of person.*

Ammo availability/price: I know 7.62x54r is cheap, but I also know that cheap stuff ussually sucks for accuraccy, are there many target loadings available?

Please, if you have information regarding only one of the rifles, post it! I'd like to know that you think even if you haven't had any experiece with both.

Thanks a lot.

*Not planning to shoot anything but paper and I do not want to look like some psycho or give us gunowners a bad image, but minute of person seems like a fitting accuraccy measurement for a sniper or sniper-esque rifle.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old December 13, 2006, 06:05 AM   #2
Crosshair

I have to vote for the Saiga. Yes it does not have the pistol grip and such. But it is quite accurate and will put the bullets where you want them. Plus they are made in Russia, the birthplace of the AK action. I own a 7.62x39 and a 308 Saiga and I love both of them. (Though the scope for the 308 is back in Belarus for repairs. ) The price is right as well.
Old December 13, 2006, 07:09 AM   #3
kymasabe

I'd go with a new Saiga. I've owned the .308 and was surprisingly accurate. Russian American Armory will soon have a skeletonized stock available as a replacement for their sporter stocks. If you have the wooden stock on your Saiga .308, you may just want to lave the wood on, they're pretty nice stocks.
Old December 13, 2006, 05:24 PM   #4
rugerdude

Yeah, I don't need a PG or anything tactical, I like the looks of the .308 w/ wood and the drag for different reasons, but they're both quite pretty in my eyes.

Old December 13, 2006, 08:43 PM   #5
TexasCop

OKay, from the other side of the fence, I have a PSL/Romak 3, and I wouldn't trade it for a saiga 308 no matter what.

The military surplus 7.62x54 ammo I have came 440 rounds to a can for 33 bucks when I bought it. I've never benched it for accuracy, but I am currently getting about 3" groups at 100 yards with the iron sights. I know I could do better with the scope.

The action is an AK system, so it's basically the same as the Saiga in function, but I love my PSL.
Old December 14, 2006, 01:12 AM   #6
10 MickeyMouse

Quote:
OKay, from the other side of the fence, I have a PSL/Romak 3, and I wouldn't trade it for a saiga 308 no matter what.
I'll second that.

But the PSL's are also twice the price of a Saiga .308.

You're limited to 10 round capacity with either, so that's not a deciding factor.

I have a very limited amount of range time with my PSL so cannot personally give a good report on accuracy, but some say they are getting ~MOA with handloads and match ammo. In my limited experience, milsurp fodder will deliver 2-3 MOA at 100 yards.

I have never played with a Saiga .308, but I imagine it will be similar to a typical AK.

It should be noted that the PSL is more or less a stretched Kalashnikov action (with a much better trigger).
Old December 14, 2006, 04:01 AM   #7
joshua

Quote:
I've never benched it for accuracy, but I am currently getting about 3" groups at 100 yards with the iron sights. I know I could do better with the scope.
I say that's darn good accuracy for a non bench shooting with iron sights using surplus ammo. If I can shoot my Colt H-Bar with iron sights and get 3" @ 100 yards I'd be a happy camper. josh
Old December 14, 2006, 11:35 AM   #8
Duxman

One issue with the Saiga is they use different AK magazines than the standard AK47s out there. Just be aware you will be paying more for your mags.
Old December 14, 2006, 12:35 PM   #9
MD_Willington

They use different mags to get around the non-sporting arms BS... There are high capacity mags available, FBMG sells them.
Old December 14, 2006, 02:38 PM   #10
Caseless

For high volume shooting, The PSL makes more sense economically since 7.62x54R surplus is still around 11 cents a round.
Does the Saiga come with the standard side-rail?
On the PSL you can mount any Eastern Bloc scopes and red dots like the Kobra.
Old December 14, 2006, 05:43 PM   #11
rugerdude

Thanks a lot for the input guys!

However, I don't think I'll have the money for one anytime soon, and I've decided to use my Lee Enfield for this particular role as it is getting a scope soon and I can make handloads for it.