The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 11, 2006, 10:09 PM   #1
MISFIRE

To Moly or Not

A few years back, Moly coating was the best thing since you know what. It fell out of favor when the "experts" put the kabosh on it, " no benefit, barrel fouling, messy, etc. etc". Saw a recent article that basically said horse manure. It improves accuracy (better groups), does not excessively foul, etc. What's the latest good skinny on Moly? If it improves performance, doesn't foul too much, maybe it's worth the trouble to apply.
Old December 11, 2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Ausserordeutlich

Never improved accuracy, except that more shots could be fired before groups began to open up. Moly, if left in barrel, will cause severe rusting of bore. I used to moly every rifle bullet I shot. Looking for somebody to replace barrel on rifle, due to bore's being ruined by rust caused by moly.
Old December 12, 2006, 01:13 AM   #3
mrawesome22

I've read many negative things about moly and very few positives. It seems that the moly "welds" to the barrel and won't come off.
Old December 12, 2006, 10:28 AM   #4
Clark

It gets to be something like Ford vs Chevy, Republican vs Democrat.

50% of the benchrest shooters are moly and 50% are no moly.
Those guys are getting way better groups than me, so obviously, both systems work.

What you believe affects what you see.

There are more important things than moly vs non Moly:
1) Do you believe moly will help?
2) How well lapped is the bore?
3) Do you prefer fighting Copper or fighting Moly?
4) Do you have the discipline to follow a Moly regime?

These questions are more important than the subtle advantages and disadvantages of moly vs non moly, so discussion is difficult.

I am a moly believer, and I prefer to get an unfired, factory lapped barrel, and burnish it with Moly Bore Creame before first firing. That way I don't get any Copper under the Moly.

I can fire 1,000 moly shots at varmints at 3,500 fps without cleaning and stay sub moa.
I can fire 1,000 non moly shots at varmints at 2,600 fps without cleaning and stay sub moa.
Old December 12, 2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Wild Bill Bucks

I don't shoot anything but Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertips. I have loaded rounds from almost every bullet manufacturer out there, and the LUBALOX coated bullets from CT seem to be better than anything I have tried. Since the lubalox is made onto the bullet, there is no residue left in the barrel, so a simple run through, with a bore snake about every 50 rounds or so, cleans up the barrel nicely, and there is no rust. The accuracy of these bullets is as good as any and better than most. Velocity seems to be a bit faster than a copper bullet, and you don't have to fight the copper build up. They are extremely devistating on game.

I will say that these bullets are pricey, but if you can afford them, they are worth looking into.
Old December 12, 2006, 11:52 AM   #6
30Cal

The only benefit I found with moly was that the rifle settled in faster after cleaning. I found out the hard way that it does tend to promote corrosion and pitting--you have to keep oil in the barrel when you're not firing.
Old December 12, 2006, 02:39 PM   #7
amamnn

I was shooting in AZ when the Moly craze hit there. Like a lot of other BR shooters I looked into it and decided to give it a try. Result 1 was that my muzzle velocity went down a bit. Yes, I said DOWN. Turns out that a Moly coated bullet enters the lands more easily so start pressures are not held as long resulting in the velocity drop. Since this drop could not be controlled there was variance and a slight opening up of groups shot at 300 + yards. Result 2 was that I could shoot longer between cleanings. However, I did not like the variance in the groups so I went to moly paste applied in the barrel and was happy with that for years, getting the benefit of moly without the problem.

I moved to WA. Remember the song "Who's Sorry Now?" Nevermind. Experienced BR shooters here were appalled that I would even put moly in the same room with an expensive match rifle, let alone put it IN the barrel!!!!!! There have been lots of corrosion problems with moly bullets or moly paste applied to a barrel that was less than 100% clean when there is a lot of moisture to get into the mix of chemicals that all mill around in your chamber and barrel when you shoot. I've tapered off using any moly at all now.

You will undoubtedly hear from hunters and plinkers that moly is good stuff and all the problems are just so much eyewash. I will only say that I have seen through the bore scope what moly can do to a throat and barrel. Remember that serious match shooters will run through more rounds in one match than a lot of hunters shoot all year long. If you allow for practice, there are match shooters running more rounds through a gun than most hunters will shoot in a lifetime. Match barrels are going to heat up more, too. So, moly problems will appear in a match rifle sooner than a hunting rifle usually. Match shooters are a lot more likely to have a bore scope and use it. Match rifles are mostly of calibers that are more quickly and obviously affected by tiny pits in the barrel.

It could be that you cleaned your rifle perfectly before after shooting in the desert and the moly did exactly what it is supposed to do: bond with the steel and make a nice slick surface in your barrel. Or it could be that you missed some gunk and the moly plated right over it and also trapped a few water molecules as well and as the rifle sits in your safe waiting for next year's elk hunt, sulfuric acid is forming tiny pockets of corrosion in your gun. It might not show up as degraded performance in a large bore hunting rifle for years, depending upon how many pockets were formed. Personally, in this environment here in the drizzle capitol of the USA, I'm not taking any chances.
Old December 12, 2006, 05:01 PM   #8
Clark

Quote:
I moved to WA. Remember the song "Who's Sorry Now?" Nevermind.

I have been in WA 55 years, and it is about all I can take.

I take my moly coated bullets to Oregon a couple times per year, but next year I will go further.
Old December 12, 2006, 06:52 PM   #9
MISFIRE

Many thanks for the considerate replies. About the same distribution as the responses I got from the guys (a gun club I think) shooting tiny little (cover with a dime!) 100 yd. groups at the now defunct San Gabriel range. One thing seems to pop out. The stuff may have some hygroscopic qualities. That could get me into serious trouble. Besides that I can't get the stuff out of my clothes.
Bye the bye, Amamnn and Clark, I'm a retired Boeing flight test engineer. Lot's of trips to the Seattle area. Unending drizzle. From Chamber of Commerce brochure: Favorite local past times are "Storm Watching" and "Golf in the Rain". Enticing eh?
Old December 12, 2006, 07:22 PM   #10
rwilson452

San Gabriel range

Sorry to hear the anti gun crowd got the place. I had many enjoyable days at that place. I now live in PA with a small town range on the edge of town. Not as much for facilities but the price is right.
Old December 15, 2006, 05:49 PM   #11
MISFIRE

RW: I'm sure the San Gabriel range will not be the last casualty. Phoney errant rounds seems to be the latest ploy.
I wish I had asked the name of the crotchety rangemaster that made darn sure you heard about it if you stepped back from the bench during cease fires with a bolt not locked back, a mag not removed, or a cylinder not open.
Old December 15, 2006, 06:36 PM   #12
jsflagstad

Maybe there is a reason that Barnes is dropping the Moly coated bullets from their product line. I have used them in my hunting rifle with great success. Well gotta go! Gotta go clean my rifle.....!!

JSF
Old December 15, 2006, 08:00 PM   #13
ob_1jr

I didn't think that barnes had moly coated bullets. The XLCs aren't moly....but yes they are dropping them and just going with TSXs.
Old December 17, 2006, 12:10 AM   #14
amamnn

Believe it or not AZ has much more thunderstorm activity than WA-- at least in Western WA, this last week notwithstanding. Mostly what it does here is drizzle, drizzle, and threaten to drizzle 9 months out of 12.
Old January 4, 2007, 12:50 AM   #15
Clark

Rain is not a good place for moly hunting, but here in Western WA there is little to hunt, so we shooting in controlled ranges. Any gravel pit within 2 hours of Seattle is quickly shut down.

It is a big pain in the rear to get my Barnes Tripple Shock bullets moly coated.
Barnes charges me like they are made of Gold and then no moly