The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 5, 2006, 09:32 AM   #1
roger1shot

Muzzlerloader bullets

Hi,
Muzzlerloader season is comming up here in Texas in Jan.
There's no one I know except for my brothers that muzzlerloader hunt.
So we have to just go by what we read, on what is the best bullets.
My brother is trying the Barne's MZ Expander 300 gr.50 cal. and I'm going to try the Barne's 250 gr polymer tip spit fire.
These sound like they should be good bullets for deer.
Has anyone shot these two bullets?
And what bullets do ya'll like the best on deer and hogs?
Old December 5, 2006, 10:45 AM   #2
Clayfish

I can't tell you which ones are great but I can tell you the two deer I have shot with CVA powerbelts had no exit wounds. The bullet broke apart in both animals. I don't shoot those anymore and I have switched to CVA buckslayer which is a lead conical. The CVA powerbelts are super accurate though. I shot a sub MOA group with my Optima and 100g of triple 7 last time I shot them. The fact they didn't perform well on the deer I shot is enough for me to switch. In fact I would much rather shoot a bullet that is minute of deer accurate and performs well anyday than a super accurate that breaks apart and any ethical hunter would agree with me.
Old December 5, 2006, 07:12 PM   #3
BIGR

I have taken several deer with the Hornady 240 Grain bullets in the 50 caliber. Good shot placement will drop them where they stand. I also have taken 3 or 4 with the 295 grain powerbelt bullets with drop them in thier tracks performance. Any good quality bullet from 240 to 300 grain should do a great job.
Old December 6, 2006, 10:39 AM   #4
charlie in md

I use the powerbelt copper aerotip bullets in my .54. They are very accurate with my triple 7 load. I've shot two deer with them at relatively close range. I know that the bullet broke up on the first deer, but had wiped out the spine and lungs, killing the deer instantly.

I shot the second deer through the right shoulder, angled slightly down. Took out the lungs, broke the shoulder on the near side and the front leg on the far side. She ran bout 40 yards and piled up.

My gun seems to be particular to the copper bullet. I could not get anywhere near the same accuracy with the lead powerbelt hollowpoint of the same weight and powder charge.
Old December 6, 2006, 11:12 AM   #5
taylorce1

The two deer I've taken with my .50 cal have both fallen to Hornady .490 round ball. I can't tell you the grain at the moment but they both passed completly through the deer. Both of doe's that I took were well within 35 yards. I've tried Buffalo Bore Maxi-Ballet's and they shoot well enough about 3" at 100 yards, but I haven't been able to get a deer with one yet. I've also purchased some Lyman Shocker bullets to try but haven't done anything with them yet.
Old December 6, 2006, 11:37 AM   #6
38splfan

.50 BP bullets.

I like Maxi-balls for my Hawken, I think T/C makes them. Can get them from Cabela's.
I've used patched round balls and they work well, also.
If you need something in between, the Buffalo Bullet Co. makes the "ball-et", half bullet, half round ball. (think round ball on top of conical) You can get those at Cabela's, too.

The only conicals I've had any experience with were Powerbelts (CVA?) and from the Hawken I didn't have much success with accuracy. I think they might work better with the faster rifling of an inline, so your mileage may vary, depending on the firearm you use.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old December 6, 2006, 11:40 AM   #7
arcticap

These TC Break-O-Way sabots and 240 grain lead hollow points shot to the same of point of impact @ 50 yards as a patched round ball out of a 1 in 48" twist barrel in front of 85 grains of Pyrodex P.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010462a40%.JPG (98.8 KB, 1486 views)
Old December 6, 2006, 05:27 PM   #8
Cpt Ordnance

ML bullets

I've shot deer with shotgun slug, .44 Rem mag pistol, and with my homemade .45 cal Hawken style muzzleloader. The only one that dropped in its tracks was the one shot with the .45 muzzleloader round ball. It is one I cast of soft lead and pushed with 75 gr on FFF black powder. Assuming you use an adequate deer bullet, it all depends on how and where you hit them, not the bullet. Don't spend time worrying about the type bullet. Your best time is spent in practice - practice - practice.
Cpt Ordnance
Old December 16, 2006, 08:07 PM   #9
masterhunter

roger1shot,
I think your brother is going to be very happy with those 300 grain Barnes expanders. I have a buddy who uses them all the time and always gets his game.
Me on the other hand, I use the 250 grain expanders in my rem 700 ml with 150 grains of pyrodex......can you say bang flop!....and thats 4 deer now! I have only recovered 2 slugs from them as the other 2 were pass throughs and they are pic perfect mushrooms. (oh by the way they are going 2080 fps by my chrono)
Now if I were hunting elk I would probably consider trying the 300 grainers for a little extra oomph!
I have never tried the spitfire but I'm sure they work very well.....You know ALL BARNES BULLETS WORK WELL!.
One thing for sure is the powerbelt bullets are JUNK!...oh maybe they will kill a piece of paper very well but 2 of my brothers and my dad, not to mention several friends and acquaintences have had them fail miserably! and thats the truth!
Old December 16, 2006, 09:11 PM   #10
drhunta2

powerbelts

I had the same problem with the CVA powerbelts, but I still use them. I don't use a shotgun anymore so its either rifle or muzzle. I have shot 5 deer in 2 years with muzzle. All with powerbelts, only 1 had an exit wound, however none even twitched after it got hit. When they go down they stay down. No need for an exit wound if your not tracking the deer.
Old December 17, 2006, 11:51 AM   #11
TCman

Im shootint the TC shockwave 250gr. superglide bonded sabots in my omega. Im still playing with the powder to get good accuracy, but I have killed 5 deer with them this year. Five shots Five kills.
Old December 17, 2006, 02:07 PM   #12
VolFan9183

I switched to the Platinum Powerbelt this year and have been pleased. I'm shooting the 50 cal 338 gr ahead of 130 gr of Pyrodex pellets in my inline. Shot two deer in Illinois, a large buck at 150 yards and a large doe at about 10-20 feet. Both were pass-thru's and both contacted shoulder. The doe at such close range was square in the shoulder (on purpose, to test the bullet) and it appeared to hold together fine. If you like the accuracy of the powerbelt, just stick with the heavier weight and I think you'll be fine.
Old December 17, 2006, 03:43 PM   #13
john1911

I too use the T/C Shockwaves. I load them over 3 pellets (150 grain equiv.) of 777. I've found that on close shots (<40yds.) there is no exit, get out there a little farther and I get an exit. Deer is DRT either way. The furthest I've had a deer run with this load is about 20 yards. YMMV
Old December 17, 2006, 07:02 PM   #14
shootagainitsmoving

I wish I could help you with bullet choices, I have to mould my own I have a 58.7 cal. But I would do some shooting tests of the bullets you are talking about just to see for your self as to witch is the best to use. I tested my other rifles by shooting into a wood box filled with red clay. Keep your powder dry and keep all your shots in the tens.
Old December 18, 2006, 07:28 AM   #15
Yankee Doodle

For whatever it's worth, I have shot 4 deer with the 295 gr. PowerBelt, in front of 100 gr. of pyrodex at ranges from 20 to 85 yards or so. None remained in the deer. Exit holes between 1 and 1 1/2 inches on all of them. However, all were shot behind the shoulder, and no major bones were hit. That's the way I like to do it. None travelled more than 50 feet, and 2 dropped in their tracks.
I don't think that there is anything wrong with PowerBelts.

Thank you
Y.D.
Old December 19, 2006, 09:28 PM   #16
Desertfox

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UgBiD...02658379686394

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UgDCD...02658605051281

The link above is to a pic of Powerbelt 245 gr. Before and after going thru a buck at 80 yards. I found the bullet skinning the buck on the exit side, just under the skin between skin and shoulderblade. He dropped in 15 yards.

CVA Optima and 3 50gr pyrodex pellets.

Proof is in the picture. Enough said.