The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 9, 2006, 09:37 PM   #1
mgdavis

How do females conceal?

I got my girlfriend a S&W 642 a while back. She got her CPL and wants to carry, but can't figure out how to hide the revolver. She doesn't want to dress around the piece very much. How do women out there conceal? We're thinking an OWB holster of some kind. Suggestions, experiences?
Old December 9, 2006, 09:42 PM   #2
TonyM1

How about a concealed gun purse? There are a wide variety of them out there, I'm sure she could find a design she likes.
Old December 9, 2006, 09:48 PM   #3
mgdavis

I'd prefer on-the-body carry, and I've got her thinking the same way. Her purse always winds up incredibly cluttered, and there is also the possibility of a purse snatching.
Old December 9, 2006, 09:58 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Well, the purse-snatching concern is genuine--as for the clutter, concealment purses typically have a special compartment for the handgun so it's kept away from the clutter and is more rapidly accessible.

My wife carries a "pocket pistol" in a wallet holster in the front pocket of her jeans.

Here are some helpful tips from a woman. Look under "Practical Issues".

http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC/TOC.htm#Practical
Old December 9, 2006, 10:08 PM   #5
Mannlicher

If she wears jeans, she can do as the guys do, and wear a holster IWB, with a shirt worn over it.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 9, 2006, 10:50 PM   #6
mgdavis

Well, Mannlicher, it would be great if I could convince her to dress around the gun to that extent. However she dresses like many other 21 year old women, which doesn't leave much room in the waistband for a pistol. Buying a new wardrobe would be cost prohibitive, though I'm sure she would love to. I guess I'm just looking for ideas from other women who have already gone through this.
Thanks to the link to Cornered Cat, I should have thought of it earlier.
Old December 9, 2006, 11:30 PM   #7
chemist308

Uh that's a hard one...body cavity!

Just kidding. Seriously, though I always thought women had it easier since they have the option of a purse. Heck you could probably conceal my Ruger Vaquero in a purse...
Old December 9, 2006, 11:33 PM   #8
Pointer

The same as men...

Plus a purse or a fanny pack...

30-06 FOREVER
Old December 10, 2006, 12:27 AM   #9
dojpros

If she wants to carry and conceal the gun effectively, she will have invest in a quality holster and a quality belt and dress arround the firearm. The belt slots of the holster must match the width of the double thick dedicated gunbelt. To parphrase Clint Smith- you carry a firearm to be comforting, not comfortable.
Anything short of above is a receipe for not having the firearm when you need it most.
Old December 10, 2006, 04:18 AM   #10
SKN

See http://womensholsters.com/page2/page2.html

Chris Carpenter is a female custom holster maker out of West Linn Oregon.
Old December 10, 2006, 03:03 PM   #11
mgdavis

Thanks SKN, great info on that link.
Old December 11, 2006, 01:40 AM   #12
tanksoldier

Well, how about one of these:

GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
Old December 11, 2006, 07:26 AM   #13
tegemu

The best advice you could possibly get would be from PAX on her website www.corneredcat.com , as previously mentioned. A website for and about women and guns, by a woman.
Old December 11, 2006, 07:56 AM   #14
skeeter1

I rarely carry, but my favorite is a fanny-pack worn on the front. Nobody knows what's in there, you can get at it quickly, and it's a lot harder to steal than a purse. Just a suggestion.
Old December 11, 2006, 08:15 AM   #15
marlboroman84

There's a young girl that works at my local range and she wears the normal 18-25 set clothes. She also carries a 1911 Kimber. She wears it in an IWB holster and doesn't dress around it that much, a jacket, an open sweater shirt thingy, etc. If she doesn't want to carry it in some type of purse or fanny pack (which I despise) she is going to have to dress around it to a degree.

I have the option of open carry here so I don't worry about dress style to much, plus I have the option of wearing cargo pants, baggy shirts, etc. Not usually what the typical lady wears out.
Old December 11, 2006, 08:34 AM   #16
ATW525

The future Mrs. ATW is tackling much the same problems. The 642 is a small gun, though, and there's a variety of holster option available. If she wears clothing with pockets, a pocket holster might be an option that's fairly unobtrusive. A belly band is also a possibility that could work under a variety of clothing styles that might not support a holster and sturdy gun belt.
Old December 11, 2006, 08:48 AM   #17
stephen426

Quote:
If she wears jeans, she can do as the guys do, and wear a holster IWB, with a shirt worn over it.
Mannlicher... A lot of women's shirts are cut shorter than men's shorts and are not designed to be tucked in (especially for the age demographic mentioned). If some women can't even keep their thong from peeking out, how do you expect them to conceal a gun? (Not that I'm complaining)

Tank Soldier... While that certainly is a nice picture (Costume Party?) thigh holsters are supposed to be worn with the gun on the inside of the thigh, otherwise the gun will print (especially with that nice tight fitting dress).

I think fanny packs are great for women since they are not as easy to snatch as purses. Furthermore, they allow a larger gun to be carried which means easier to shoot, more powerful cartridge, and more rounds (compared to mouse guns). Women can get away with carrying fanny packs without people thinking "GUN" much more easily then men. Fanny pack carry keeps the gun in front of you and allows for easier access than a purse that moves around on your side.

Another option is ankle carry if your wife wears pants fairly often. This is slower to draw from and she must really practice often in order to have a fair chance of getting the gun into play. One problem is that many womens' pants are tapered at the legs unless they are suit type pants. Ankle carry also limits your choice to smaller handguns.

If where you live is pretty cold, hip carry is an option with a jacket. With a jacket, she could even wear a shoulder holster or carry in her jacket pocket. If she has to remove her jacket often (going indoors), the best thing is pocket carry.

Good luck and lets us know if you guys find any innovative solutions. I keep trying to get my wife to carry but I'm having a hard time.
Old December 11, 2006, 09:21 AM   #18
mvpel

One advantage women have over men in the use of a SmartCarry holster is the lack of the psychological hurdle most men must overcome to carry that way.

1 Samuel 13:19
Old December 11, 2006, 11:12 AM   #19
Vic303

As a woman, I usually carry IWB, 1911, VM-II, Wilderness Instructors belt. Other modes are fanny pack (at the stores when kids are in tow, no one even notices the fannypack.), dedicated CCW purse (www.coronadoleather.com), or Smartcarry holster.
Old December 11, 2006, 11:12 AM   #20
Samurai

Most of the women I know who carry have a carry purse. But there's this one girl......

OK. Here's what she did. She bought one of the revolvers made from the lightweight alloy... (what's it called?). Anyway, then she hung the thing in a snap-holster on a lanyard around her neck, with the rope of the lanyard under her bra for stability. She was proportioned well enough so that the gun would conceal under her shirt.

She actually spent LOTS of time behind a sewing machine to get this rig all set up so that it would work, straps the right length and all. It was pretty ingenious.

This is probably not possible for most women, but I thought I'd share. It may give someone a new idea that might work better than what's out there.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old December 11, 2006, 12:14 PM   #21
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpel
One advantage women have over men in the use of a SmartCarry holster is the lack of the psychological hurdle most men must overcome to carry that way.
Thunderwear for women... Is that a pistol in your pants or are you happy to see me? While there is no psychological hurdle, don't you think a woman with a bulge down there would look weird?
Old December 11, 2006, 12:33 PM   #22
mvpel

The thing about SmartCarry is that people are socially conditioned not to stare at other people's crotches.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old December 11, 2006, 01:48 PM   #23
marlboroman84

Quote:
The thing about SmartCarry is that people are socially conditioned not to stare at other people's crotches
ROFL! I'm also gonna guess no one would question the bulge if they did see it!
Old December 12, 2006, 10:25 AM   #24
Recon7

Quote:
The thing about SmartCarry is that people are socially conditioned not to stare at other people's crotches.
uuugh 21 year old females get stared at a lot in all sorts of places.
Old December 13, 2006, 02:00 AM   #25
dave421

I guess it depends on what she likes to wear but if she's "larger" chested (c or more I guess) then I've seen a bra somewhere that had provisions for a holster underneath the breast or in between (lower, not cleavage). I can't find it now but perhaps with some searching you can find it. She could probably do the same with the SmartCarry if her chest is large enough by just pulling it up high. If she wears tight blouses/shirts, this may not work though.